[sci.military] More on Boys ATR

gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten) (07/06/89)

From: gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten)

This was sent to me by a reader while I was on vacation, and
thought that people might be intrested in it.  It is from Ken
Young.

From: kyoung@auspex.com (Ken Young)
To: gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: Tanks and Finns (was: Re: Unconventional Warfare)

>Wasn't the British Boys ATR of 20mm also?  I seem to remember
>rumors of it being for sale just after or just before WWII
>along with the Thompson SMG.  Any other better memories than
>mine?
I have fired the Boys ATR.  It is .55 ca.  As far as WWII ATR's go,
it is the wimp of the bunch.  It has a shock-absorber type recoil
mechanism, and a hefty recoil pad.  The grips for holding it are
improbable looking, but facilitate firing while in prone, and on
your elbows (it has a bipod).  It kicks about as much as a 6 guage
shotgun with a really heavy load. Oh, yes - this is with a muzzle-
brake, the recoil mechanisms, the big pad,etc.  After being
rechambered to fire .50 cal machine gun ammo, the kick was large
enough to be intolerable (to me).  The US army WWII .50 cal anti-tank
rifle was a sholder-breaker.  It had little or no recoil protection.
Thus, the rate of fire was about 1 round per person per 30 minutes.
The new us army version has interesting recoil mechanisms (the
shock-absorber deal again), but I havent fired it.

I can't post to the net, so you can do so for me, if you think this is valuable.

Ken Young
uunet!auspex!kyoung