[sci.military] Duplex cartridges

wilsonjl%hsdp1.decnet@hqhsd.brooks.af.mil (HSDP1::WILSONJL) (07/06/89)

From: "HSDP1::WILSONJL" <wilsonjl%hsdp1.decnet@hqhsd.brooks.af.mil>

> From: ut-emx!walt.cc.utexas.edu!cyrius@cs.utexas.edu (Juan Chen)
>
>>From: rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET
>>
>>	- Wasn't there a PIGGY-BACK bullet used in Viet Nam ?  I would
>>	describe it as an ordinary shell, followed by a break-away or
>>	separate slug; you'd have your regular hit, plus another
>>	projectile in a tight group to follow...
>
>  If you check out the current issue of American Rifleman there is
> an article about the next generation of Army rifles. They mention
> that one of the candidates uses a cartridge that has two bullets.
> A lighter on nested behind the lead bullet that is supposed to
> deflect slightly and provide a more effective hit ratio.
>  They also say that this concept is not new.

It isn't. There used to be such a round, called a "duplex" round, in what we
today call the 30-'06 cartridge, for the Garand and Springfield rifles. The
first bullet was a shortened spitzer seated forward in the case; it had a
concave base into which nested the second bullet. The second bullet was
cylindrical with a slightly convex nose.  I am not sure when or for how long
this cartridge was manufactured.

As an aside, since the mass of the two bullets combined was about 1.5 times
that of standard ball I would imagine that the recoil forces were considerable.
Such a round might not function in an autoloader like the Garand.

I do not remember if there were any special provisions made on the bullets to
force them to separate. I would expect the very short first bullet would tend
to tumble, though. Perhaps someone who has used these rounds could elaborate
further.

Jon Wilson
WILSONJL@HQHSD.BROOKS.AF.MIL

From: portal!cup.portal.com!mmm@apple.com
How do tracer bullets work?  I've heard that the guns on WW2 aircraft
would alternate tracers with other types, like armor-piercing.  What is
the sequence of types?