[sci.military] Newsweek Review of Weapons

aaronh@ms.uky.edu (Aaron David Herskowitz) (07/07/89)

From: Aaron David Herskowitz <aaronh@ms.uky.edu>

Has anyone seen the Newsweek that rated America's top and bottom 10
weapons?  I am not sure how recent the magazine was, just saw it the
other day at a friends and payed little attension to the date.  I
was kind of surprised at some of the weapons they had rated as our
worst.

gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten) (07/08/89)

From: gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten)

In article <8030@cbnews.ATT.COM> aaronh@ms.uky.edu (Aaron David Herskowitz) writes:

>From: Aaron David Herskowitz <aaronh@ms.uky.edu>
>

>Has anyone seen the Newsweek that rated America's top and bottom 10
>weapons?  I am not sure how recent the magazine was, just saw it the
>other day at a friends and payed little attension to the date.  I
>was kind of surprised at some of the weapons they had rated as our
>worst.

I saw an article like this in US News and World report,
probably the same article, but I haven't seen Snewsweek in a
while.

Of the Top rated weapons, there was the A-10 "It simply
works", the AIM 9L Sidewinder ($50,000) Best air to Air
missile.

Of the Worst, there was the B-2 at 500 Million a copy, with no
clear strategy of use.

Bradley Fighting vehicle, about the
cost of a M1, but taller and will carry only 6 extra infantry
men instead of 12 as planned.

AMRAAM (Advanced medium range air to air missile) $900,000 a
copy for the first few, but promises to drop this to about $370,000.
Fire and forget, USNAWR says that Sparrows and Phoenix can replace,
but neither are fire and forget missiles.  Leaves plane vulnerable.

Maveric Air to ground missile.  Too short a range, plane must
fly over target to effectively launch and guide weapon, but I
was under the impression that this could be ground laser
designated.

Anyway, for what it is worth.

GAH!

Greg A. Hooten