[sci.military] wings-folded flight

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>> BTW did you know that you can successfully launch an F-8 _with_ the
>> wings folded?...
>
>Define "successfully."   Launches occurred. Complete, non-destructive flights
>didn't (that I've ever heard).

There was at least one occasion when a Crusader took off from a runway (no
catapult) with wings folded, and landed safely.  I seem to recall that there
have been several such incidents, actually.  Remember that only the tips
fold on the Crusader -- the aircraft still has most of its wing available.
The pilot who took off with the wings folded didn't even realize anything
was wrong until he noticed that the aircraft seemed rather sluggish.

I don't know whether any of the incidents involved catapult launches, though.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (07/08/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>> BTW did you know that you can successfully launch an F-8 _with_ the
>>> wings folded?...
>>
>>Define "successfully.">Launches occurred. Complete, non-destructive flights
>>didn't (that I've ever heard).

>There was at least one occasion when a Crusader took off from a runway (no
>catapult) with wings folded, and landed safely.  I seem to recall that there
>have been several such incidents, actually.  Remember that only the tips
>fold on the Crusader -- the aircraft still has most of its wing available.

The wing folds at about half-span, not just the tips, but you do get
an endplate effect.

>I don't know whether any of the incidents involved catapult launches, though.

Yes, there was at least one launched in the Med (I don't remember when
or which boat).  He figured it out, put the wings down, and landed on
shore.  As I recall, this was only possible with a clean aircraft.

There was an article in Approach a couple of years ago about launching
aircraft with folded wings, AGE, etc.
--
M F Shafer                          shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center           arpa!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer