[sci.military] The use of depleted uraniumin tanks

IA80024%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Nicholas C. Hester) (07/10/89)

From:    "Nicholas C. Hester" <IA80024%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
In the moderators note concerning Depleted Uranium ammunition, Bill writes-

>elaborate.  Depleted Uranium, or DU, is the byproduct of the production
>of enriched uranium (for reactors).  It consists of the relatively
>stable uranium isotope, and so is only mildly radioactive.  DU is
>extremely hard, and denser than tungsten (or lead); these two properties
>make it an excellent choice for kinetic energy armor penetrators.  It
>

>nations.   An added bonus of DU is that it is somewhat pyrophoric;
>that is, it is easy to ignite (say, by slamming it into a metal plate
>at a few thousand feet per second 8-); this gives it an added incendiary
>effect, which may or may not be useful against tanks.  -  Bill ]

This is interesting in that the Army is going to add DU to the armor of the M1.
Will this help protect the tank, or possibly create a greater incendiary
situation? I tend toward the former, though the latter might be possible if the
area hit is of thinner protection (the rear, for instance).

What do tankers on the list think?

=Nick=
ia80024@maine.bitnet
ia80024@maine.maine.edu

[mod.note:  My understanding is that the DU component of the Abram's
Chobham armor will be a small percentage of the total; I seem to recall
hearing that it was to be a mesh between two layers of the composite.
I'd be grateful for any better details !  - Bill ]