[sci.military] Fighter engine smoke

gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner) (06/30/89)

From: gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner)
A rule in the board game "Flight Leader" indicates that the engines
used in US F-15s are only smokeless if they are tuned appropriately.
Apparently, this limits engine life so that most or all of the engines
have been "detuned" to extend engine life.  Does anyone know (a) if this
is true and (b) any more details?

BTW, for those who are interested in jet fighters but don't have ready
access to one, the "Flight Leader" (by Avalon Hill Game Company) is an
interesting game.  The rules are 20+ pages of small print and
contain a substantial amount of technical information, all of which
I believe to be reasonably accurate.

David Gardiner

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (07/01/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>

David Gardiner writes:
>A rule in the board game "Flight Leader" indicates that the engines
>used in US F-15s are only smokeless if they are tuned appropriately.
>Apparently, this limits engine life so that most or all of the engines
>have been "detuned" to extend engine life.  Does anyone know (a) if this
>is true and (b) any more details?

The term is "de-rated" and I'm probably going to tell you more about
this than you really want to know.

When the F-111 first came out, it had a _terrible_ problem with engine
stalls.  The engine would stall during ground engine runs, even.  This
was due to a bad inlet design.  A lot of work went into fixing this
and if you look down the inlet of an F-111 you'll see vortex
generators all around the inlet.  This is the most visible fix.

Engine stalls aren't the same as aircraft stalls, but they are
caused by airflow problems.  When the engine stalls, the thrust
drops off rapidly.  Damage to the engine is also possible, mostly
from overheating.

The Air Force and the Navy were so alarmed by all this that they
decided, when the F-14 and F-15 came along, that they weren't going to
take the chance of having fighters that were prone to compressor
stalls.  The solution was to de-rate the engine to the point that it
_couldn't_ stall.  The way to do this is to adjust the stator vanes
(the fixed vanes in the compressor stage) so that they won't stall.
However, doing this means that the engine isn't going to operate to
its full capacity.  Also, since you're not using the full capacity,
you'll have lower pressures and lower temperatures and, hence, less
wear and longer engine life.  But you will also have less thrust
and/or more fuel burn, since efficiency also is reduced.

The smoke would result from an out-of-spec engine, because you would
be so far off the design point that you would get incomplete
combustion.  However, I've never seen a smoking F-15 or F-16, either
here at Edwards or at Langley AFB.  I assume that the tolerances are
fairly broad and that you would see other engine problems like
elevated temperatures, in addition to the smoke, that would make you
down the a/c and fix it.

The F-15 HIDEC (Highly-Integrated Digital Engine Control) project here
at Dryden uses a digital engine control system to run the engine.  By
scheduling the engine parameters on aircraft parameters like angle of
attack, a non-derated engine can be used, since the engine control
system takes care of avoiding stalls.  Thus the HIDEC gets over 10%
more thrust because it can use the thrust available without engine
stalls.

Here's a quick explanation of the compressor.  The compressor stage of
a jet engine consists of several sets of moving and stationary vanes.
The front vanes are relatively small and the space between the moving
and stationary vanes relatively large.  As you proceed through the
stage, the vanes get larger and the space gets smaller, so the air is
compressed.

--
M F Shafer                         shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center          arpa!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer

A MiG at your six is better than no MiG at all.
                    --Unknown US fighter pilot.

cyrius@cs.utexas.edu (Juan Chen) (07/05/89)

From: ut-emx!walt.cc.utexas.edu!cyrius@cs.utexas.edu (Juan Chen)

  I recall reading an add for Phillips 66 years ago (~10)
that mentioned that they had developed THE additive to jet
fuel that inhibits smoke and vapor trails. So I never though
the engine itself had to do anything with smoke production.
Anyone knows of this additive?

Juan G. Chen                            cyrius@dopey.cc.utexas.edu
University of Texas@Austin              (or grumpy, or doc, or happy...)
P.O. Box 8362
Austin, TX  78713

bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart) (07/05/89)

From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart)

In article <7874@cbnews.ATT.COM>, gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner) writes:

> From: gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner)
> A rule in the board game "Flight Leader" indicates that the engines
> used in US F-15s are only smokeless if they are tuned appropriately.
> Apparently, this limits engine life so that most or all of the engines
> have been "detuned" to extend engine life.  Does anyone know (a) if this
> is true and (b) any more details?
>
> David Gardiner

The answer got long so there is a one line summary at the end :-)
Having put in 6 years fixing Eagles from 1976-82 I think I may have a few
details that can help here. The answer to a) is YES. In 1976-77 one of the
biggest problem areas we had (besides lack of parts) was the engines.
THe F-100 was having stagnation problems on a regular basis. at the same
time the engines were not lasting as long between overhauls as they expected.
at the time the overhaul interval was very short because of the engines
was new to the inventory. The stagnation problems were causing the engines
to be removed even more often. To reduce wear &tear they retuned the engines
at about 97%. The stagnation problems were fixed and things stayed hunky-dory.

Then about 1980 there was a SEVERE engine shortage. TheCarter administration
had made deep cuts in spares procurement and in long leadtime procurement
for new aircraft. Then there was a labor problem either at Pratt & Whitney
or one of there major suppliers. The pipeline for F-100 engines dried up
completely. At one point we were removing engines from existing aircraft
and sending them to St Louis to be installed in new aircraft that were
coming off the assembly line. You see engines are GFE (government furnished
equipment) and the Air Force had to provide them to keep from being charged
for storage of the A/C.

At one point our wing ( and I was told every other F-15 wing) had to send
23 aircraft to Warner Robins AFB to have all removable systems like radar
radio, ECM, and engines stripped from them 'temporarily' to restock the
supply system.  We finally got the planes back about a year later but some
of them never were 'right' again. It was easy to tell which planes had been
used for this, most of the fleet had 4,000+ hours on the planes these birds
had about 1,500. Anyway in the midst of the 1980 engine shortage the word
came out to detune the engines to about 95% to extend the time between overhaul.

The first detuning caused some smoke on some engines but the second one
caused most to smoke. But the problem is relative. a smoky F-15 puts out
only a little more than an F-4 with the new 'smokeless' engine mod. and the
F-15 can be fixed on the trim pad in about 2 hours peacetime ( 10 minutes
if the engine troops know that it's the real thing).

I know planes that were preped for exercises like Gallant Eagle and Red Flag
to 100% aand the smoke went away ( as well as markedly better performance
according to the pilots) of course there were no official records kept of
this since the book required the lower settings.
The short answer is smoky engines last longer in peacetime flying since the
engines aren't being stressed to their limits. But if the whistle blows
the engines will be back to clean & mean.

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)

ps01%gte.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Paul L. Suh) (07/05/89)

From: "Paul L. Suh" <ps01%gte.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

>From: gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner)
%A rule in the board game "Flight Leader" indicates that the engines
%used in US F-15s are only smokeless if they are tuned appropriately.
%Apparently, this limits engine life so that most or all of the engines
%have been "detuned" to extend engine life.  Does anyone know (a) if this
%is true and (b) any more details?

This is the only place where I have seen any indication of the engines
being de-tuned.  All of the other sources which I have read (quite a
few, since I have been toying around with writing a flight simulator)
give no indication of this whatsoever.

%BTW, for those who are interested in jet fighters but don't have ready
%access to one, the "Flight Leader" (by Avalon Hill Game Company) is an
%interesting game.  The rules are 20+ pages of small print and
%contain a substantial amount of technical information, all of which
%I believe to be reasonably accurate.

A much better boardgame is Air Superiority, from Game Designers'
Workshop.  I own both of these games, and AS beats FL by miles.  Also,
there is a second AS module available, which covers air-to-ground
missions and SAMs quite well, along with an historical module covering
the Arab-Israeli Conflicts.

Finally, for those who want a quick fix and feel like Flying An Electric
Jet Right Now, I recommend Falcon, available for about $30 from
MacConnection, PCConnection, or many other mail order places, in
versions for many different machines.

(Bill, feel free to excise this next paragraph)
Speaking of Falcon, one of my pet peeves when playing it is that when a
MiG is at my 10 0'clock and we're in a hard scissoring fight, there's no
really good way to get a look at it without easing off on the G's, which
may not be such a good idea.  This is because although you can look
level left and level right, when you're banked into a hard turn, your
target is going to be 45 deg to 90 deg above the plane of the aircraft.
Does anyone have a solution, or failing that, will someone please let
the people at Sphere know?

[mod.note:  I figured I'd leave it in... it might be a realistic
feature, not a bug 8-)  Any comments on the gaming aspects should be
kept to email, unless you're sure it's appropriate here.  - Bill ]

%David Gardiner

					--Paul
					ps01@gte-labs.COM
					ps01@bunny.

donn@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Donn F Pedro) (07/10/89)

From: mcgp1!donn@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Donn F Pedro)

With all the talk about the F-4 and smoke...

I was a member of an Air National Guard Combat Communications unit
stationed at Volk Field in Wisconson a few years ago.  We were providing
air traffic support with out MPN-14 radar unit.

The first squadron to arrive for excercizes was a F-4 recon group.
They had two types of F-4's, regular and "smokeless".
You could easly spot the regular F-4 up to four or five miles away
due to the smoke trails.  However the "smokeless" F-4 was *much* harder
to find.  Side by side it was almost impossible to see the "smokeless" jet.

What was intresting about these F-4's was that they carried no armement
whatsoever.  They were loaded with recon cameras and terrain following
radar.  One of the pilots told me that the standard operating procedure
was to fly in low, pop up vunerable and weaponless for the pictures,
and proceed back to the deck and run like hell.

He indicated that his type of F-4 was the fastest model due to it's
lighter weight.  I don't recall if the engines were more powerful or not.

As a side note, the pilots who flew the unmodified smokey engines went
by the nickname or "Smokey", "Fodder", and "Bait".

	Donn F Pedro ....................a.k.a. mcgp1!donn@Thalatta.COM
           else:  {the known world}!uunet!nwnexus!thebes!mcgp1!donn
		You talk the talk.  Do you walk the walk?