[sci.military] F-15 Langing, minus wing

amoss%batata.huji.ac.il%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) (07/07/89)

From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.huji.ac.il%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

  Some 8 months ago, two IAF F-15's collided during dogfighting training.
One was only lightly damaged, while the other lost a wing.

  The pilot did land it at a nearby base.

  Are there any other instances of F-15's landing _sans_ wing?

    Marc A. Volovic, Sgt (res.)       amoss@batata.huji.ac.il

The opinions contained herein are mine. The data contained herein is either
public knowledge or hearsay. Nothing I say is condoned by anyone. It is not
my fault. I wasn't here.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>  Some 8 months ago, two IAF F-15's collided during dogfighting training.
>One was only lightly damaged, while the other lost a wing.
>  The pilot did land it at a nearby base.
>
>  Are there any other instances of F-15's landing _sans_ wing?

Three or four years ago there was a dogfight midair in the US -- probably
Israeli aircraft although this wasn't made clear -- between an F-15 and
an A-4.  Totalled most of one wing of the F-15.  Safe (although very fast)
landing was made.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu