[sci.military] news tidbit regarding the Enterprise

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (07/10/89)

From: vixie!decwrl!decvax!midnight.MV.COM!rml (Roger M. Levasseur)

I've read this news story that said that a debate is brewing
over the USS Enterprise.  What to do - refuel and overhaul (at
a cost of $2 billion), or decommission her and build new
carrier that would cost just $3.3 billion instead. In 1991 the
ship will be 30 years old; an overhaul would add 20 years to
her service life.  Aside from the politics,  it just doesn't
seem like a good move to spend $1.3 billion more for a ship
that will be much newer, but having much the same capabilities.
Looking at the 12th edition of The Ships and Aircraft of the US
Fleet, each class of ship measures up to be nearly the size,
same manning requirements, and capabilities.  Any comments?

    -roger

  -=-=-=-=-=-

  Roger M. Levasseur
  ...{decvax,harvard}!zinn!midnight!rml

jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff K Medcalf) (07/11/89)

From: Jeff K Medcalf <sun!Central!uokmax!jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET>

>From: vixie!decwrl!decvax!midnight.MV.COM!rml (Roger M. Levasseur)
>
>that will be much newer, but having much the same capabilities.
>Looking at the 12th edition of The Ships and Aircraft of the US
>Fleet, each class of ship measures up to be nearly the size,
>same manning requirements, and capabilities.  Any comments?
>
>    -roger

Actually, size is misleading.  The Enterprise has eight reactors, compared to
the current two on Nimitz and Improved Nimitz classes.  This translates into
more stowage for avgas and munitions, and also more fuel for the escorts, which
are not always nuclear.

In addition, the newer flat tops have better damage control, more efficiently
laid out command suites, and better radar coverage (since Enterprise has the
flat island structure for the old phased array radar she used to carry).

Furthermore, a ship 30 years old is not as strong as a new ship, which could
be vital when the ship is hit.  I think also that there has been a scheme
developed recently which would deflect the shaped charges of many antiship
missiles, but which cannot be retrofitted.

--
I dream I'm safe				jkmedcal@uokmax.UUCP
In my hotel womb 				Jeff Medcalf

budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (07/11/89)

From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
Everytime the combat system in a ship reaches a stage of obsolescence,
this debate happens.  The only real difference is in the case of E,
it's refueling, not the combat system.

For background, the electronics in a ship tends to turn over
about every ten years.  For those ships past their mid-lives, this
fact is catching up, and we didn't understand it well enough 20
years ago so the hulls weren't built with electronics system growth in
mind.  Propulsion systems tend to age much more slowly -- we've
Coast Guard cutters that retired at ages like 45-50 years with the
original plants in them.

The history of FRAMS, SLEPs, Midlife Maintenance Availabilities, etc, is quite
interesting.  In many ways, the qualities of the original design are proven
at this point -- a successful ship can be rebuilt successfully.  And
some just don't rebuild well.  Carriers, because of their large enclosed
volume, tend to be pretty amenable to SLEPs -- indeed you can run both
the old and the new combat system side-by-side if need be.  Submarines,
on the other hand, are very difficult to update.  Carriers are retired at
ages like 45 years; submarines at 20 years.

In most cases, the hulls are not worn out (icebreakers are an exception).
It's just too damned expensive to update the ship -- better to start
over.  But watch, this is a luxury that we can't afford; I predict
we'll see surface ships lifespans lengthen somewhat over the next
couple decades.

To get back to the Enterprise, the pricetag is only part of the problem.
Carriers inevitably come with lots of politics attached.

Rex Buddenberg

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (07/12/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <8127@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Jeff K Medcalf writes:

=>From: vixie!decwrl!decvax!midnight.MV.COM!rml (Roger M. Levasseur)

=>that will be much newer, but having much the same capabilities.
=>Looking at the 12th edition of The Ships and Aircraft of the US
=>Fleet, each class of ship measures up to be nearly the size,
=>same manning requirements, and capabilities.  Any comments?

=Actually, size is misleading.  The Enterprise has eight reactors, compared to
=the current two on Nimitz and Improved Nimitz classes.  This translates into
=more stowage for avgas and munitions, and also more fuel for the escorts, which
=are not always nuclear.

yep.  when Enterprise was built, the only proven powerplants were from
contemporary submarines, so 8 submarine reactors were used to minimize
the risks in building such a novel ship.

however, to place things in perspective, even with 8 small reactors instead
of 2 large ones, Enterprise has more available stowage than contemporary
conventionally-powered carriers, such as John F. Kennedy.

=In addition, the newer flat tops have better damage control, more efficiently
=laid out command suites, and better radar coverage (since Enterprise has the
=flat island structure for the old phased array radar she used to carry).

Enterprise got an all new, Nimitz-like island during her last major refit.

richard
--
richard welty               welty@lewis.crd.ge.com
518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York