[sci.military] What is a "depleted uranium round"

bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Basham) (07/07/89)

From: bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Basham)

This type of ammo seems to be pretty common with the Navy, but,
what is it?

Tom

[mod.note:  I'll give the quick answer, and leave it to others to
elaborate.  Depleted Uranium, or DU, is the byproduct of the production
of enriched uranium (for reactors).  It consists of the relatively
stable uranium isotope, and so is only mildly radioactive.  DU is
extremely hard, and denser than tungsten (or lead); these two properties
make it an excellent choice for kinetic energy armor penetrators.  It
is typically used as the penetrator of a discarding sabot (DS) round,
and so achieves tremendous muzzle velocities (upwards of 4000 fps),
which means it also has a very flat trajectory.  This makes it a good
round for the Phalanx missile defense system.  In the US Army, DU is
used for all tank guns (APFSDS); I'm uncertain if it's used by other
nations.   An added bonus of DU is that it is somewhat pyrophoric;
that is, it is easy to ignite (say, by slamming it into a metal plate
at a few thousand feet per second 8-); this gives it an added incendiary
effect, which may or may not be useful against tanks.  -  Bill ]

Tom Basham   	     AT&T Bell Laboratories        (312) 979-6336
att!ihlpb!bash				"If you can't beat 'em, infiltrate
bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM             	         and destroy them from within."
bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (07/08/89)

From: ulysses!smb
> It consists of the relatively
> stable uranium isotope, and so is only mildly radioactive.  DU is
> extremely hard, and denser than tungsten (or lead); these two properties
> make it an excellent choice for kinetic energy armor penetrators.

Anyway -- DU may or may not be ``mildly radioactive'' compared to the
natural stuff.  The issue is that U-235, the isotope separated out for
use in bombs and reactors, fissions much more easily when bombarded
by neutrons; U-238 has much more of a tendency to turn into plutonium
(eventually, and via several indirect steps).  The natural level of
radioactivity of either -- that is, the spontaeous decay rate -- is
of no particular interest militarily; the ability to fission, and to
emit neutrons of the appropriate energy level during fission, thus
causing a chain reaction, is what's interesting.

I don't think uranium per se is that radioactive; it has quite a long
half-life, which translates directly into ``not many atoms split per
unit time''.  Stuff with a short half life is much nastier, since you
then get lots of radiation.

royf@cs.utexas.edu (Roy Forsstrom) (07/13/89)

From: pwcs.sbc.com!royf@cs.utexas.edu (Roy Forsstrom)

In article <8076@cbnews.ATT.COM> military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) writes:

>From: ulysses!smb
>> It consists of the relatively
>> stable uranium isotope, and so is only mildly radioactive.  DU is
>> extremely hard, and denser than tungsten (or lead); these two properties
>> make it an excellent choice for kinetic energy armor penetrators.
>

>Anyway -- DU may or may not be ``mildly radioactive'' compared to the
>natural stuff.  The issue is that U-235, the isotope separated out for
>use in bombs and reactors, fissions much more easily when bombarded
>by neutrons; U-238 has much more of a tendency to turn into plutonium
>(eventually, and via several indirect steps).  The natural level of

U-235 is just a few percent of natural uranium ore. It is separated out
and used in military power reactors because it has a higher probability
of fissioning with thermal "low kinetic energy" neutrons than U-238.
A military power reactor may be enriched to over 90% U-235.

The fission process produces more thermal neutrons, ~2.54, than fast
neutrons giving a higher density within the reactor. It is also easier
to moderate thermal neutrons--using plain water--than fast neutrons.

Civilian reactors use slightly enriched U-238 for economic reasons. Late
in life, a civilian reactor's power is mainly the result of plutonium
fission.

The unique requirements of a ship's power reactor, small, powerful, easy
and accurate control, reliability and maintainability at sea, prompt the
use of expensive and rare U-235.

Formerly a nuclear reactor operator aboard the USS California, I'm now at-
Roy Forsstrom 612-298-5569         |   What are the Rights of Man and the
Public Works Computer Services     |   Liberties of the World but Loose-Fish?
pwcs!royf  royf@pwcs.StPaul.GOV    |         - Moby Dick
Roy Forsstrom                          What are the Rights of Man and the
Public Works Computer Services         Liberties of the World but Loose-Fish?
pwcs!royf  royf@pwcs.StPaul.GOV              - Ishmael in Moby Dick