[sci.military] Tracer Bullets

mmm@apple.com (07/05/89)

From: portal!cup.portal.com!mmm@apple.com
How do tracer bullets work?  I've heard that the guns on WW2 aircraft
would alternate tracers with other types, like armor-piercing.  What is
the sequence of types?

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>How do tracer bullets work?

They have either a coating of tracer material -- just something that burns
slowly with a bright flame -- or a well full of the stuff tucked away
somewhere.  Small-caliber tracers (which I have seen) use a coating; I think
big ones sometimes use a well.

>I've heard that the guns on WW2 aircraft
>would alternate tracers with other types, like armor-piercing...

Not uncommon.  A lousy idea, as it turns out, because the ballistics are
not quite the same.  At least one fighter commander improved his group's
gunnery considerably by ordering the tracers deleted.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mcgrew@topaz.rutgers.edu (Charles) (07/13/89)

From: mcgrew@topaz.rutgers.edu (Charles)

Henry Spencer comments:

>>I've heard that the guns on WW2 aircraft
>>would alternate tracers with other types, like armor-piercing...

>Not uncommon.  A lousy idea, as it turns out, because the ballistics are
>not quite the same.  At least one fighter commander improved his group's
>gunnery considerably by ordering the tracers deleted.

   Also, some pilots stopped using them because enemy pilots would be
able to evade surprise attack, since early (wide) fire from the
attacker would be very obvious and allow a good pilot the chance to
maneuver away.  I seem to remember reading this in Martin Caidin's
"P-38", if nowhere else.   If you've got a reliable gunsight, then you
don't need tracers to tell you where you're shooting.

Charles