[sci.military] F-4

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) (07/08/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW))

>From: gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten)
>US News said that the cost of a 688 attack sub is about 533
>million dollars, but the next generation (Seawolf?) will cost
>about 2 Billion.  It will speed along at 35 Knots (vs. 31
>Knots) and dive a little deeper (1000 ft), but with that cost,
>it would be nice to have it do a lot more.  Does anyone know
>what this new generation sub will do that the 688 will not?
>Maybe it is quiter, but how much?

I don't know if it will be worth it, but here are some of the things
that the Seawolf class (SSN-21) will supposedly have over Los Angeles
class (SSN-688) and Improved Los Angeles class (SSN-751):

1. 8 x 30" torpedo tubes (vs. 4 x 21")
	The 30" size allows quieter torpedo "swimout" instead of
	compressed gas ejection launch. It gives them the option to go
	for a bigger torpedo later (like those big Soviet Type 65s).
	It also allows launching of the Sea Lance. All the old stuff
	can also be launched: encapsulated Harpoon and Tomahawk. (Note
	only some LA Class can fire Tomahawk from torpedo tubes.)
	Eight tubes also potentially gives you a chance to cut loose a
	bigger salvo when you do fire or have more types of weapons
	ready at once. Note that no VL Tomahawk are installed as on
	Improved LA. But on the other hand, you don't care so much
	about competition for tube space as when you only have four
	tubes. Also the VL launchers are not reloadable at sea.

2. under ice mods
	As on the Improved LA, control planes moved to the bow and
	made retractable.

3. quieter
	Anechoic coating and pump jet propulsor. (Some Improved LA
	have similar changes equipment.) First unit of Seawolf may
	have large, shrounded, 7-bladed, slow-turning variable pitch
	propellor instead. How much quieter is, of course, what we all
	want to know and is probably classified.

4. larger weapon space
	Seawolf carries about 50 weapons (about double LA class).

5. better sonar/electronics
	Carries a new integrated fire control/sonar suite, which has
	been argued over endlessly. The sonar (bow-mounted?,
	hull-mounted conformal array and towed-array) will, of course,
	be more sensitive than before. There is also a new highly
	directional sonar added whose purpose is to help get faster
	passive fire control solutions.

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board

daveme%tekirl.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Dave Mead) (07/12/89)

From: Dave Mead <daveme%tekirl.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

I thought the new attack subs would have a *much* faster hull speed for
quiet running (laminar flow?). All fast current subs make a lot of noise
when running near max speed and can only achieve ~6 knots or so quiet. New
tricks and coatings allow the new subs to go *fast* and *quiet* at the
same time. A big improvement.

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) (07/13/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW))

In article <8181@cbnews.ATT.COM> Dave Mead writes:

>I thought the new attack subs would have a *much* faster hull speed for
>quiet running (laminar flow?). All fast current subs make a lot of noise
>when running near max speed and can only achieve ~6 knots or so quiet. New
>tricks and coatings allow the new subs to go *fast* and *quiet* at the
>same time. A big improvement.

The information I have heard, has Seawolf capable of going "silent"
upto ~15 knots (vs. ~5 knots for LA Class). The pump jet propulsion
unit is not supposed to cavitate at any speed the sub is capable of.
(Though, cavitation along certain hull points may occur at high
speeds.) I have heard LA Class screws start cavitating somewhere in
the 15-25 knot range.

Also, in my previous article, I gave the impression that Improved LA
would not be able to fire the new Sea Lance (when available). This is
incorrect.

-ted