[sci.military] compressor stalls and F-111

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>When the F-111 first came out, it had a _terrible_ problem with engine
>stalls.  The engine would stall during ground engine runs, even.  This
>was due to a bad inlet design...

In fairness, it should be added that the intake design would probably
have been fine for a turbojet, but this was the first use of a turbofan
in a fighter and nobody realized that turbofans cared more about smooth
flow.

Mind you, nobody had made any particular effort to find out whether
turbofans had the same inlet-compatibility characteristics as turbojets.
The engine manufacturer thought it was the inlet's problem, the inlet
designers thought it was the engine's problem, and the USAF thought that
because the contract said it had to work, it would.

It's also noteworthy that British designers working on swing-wing aircraft
had looked at the F-111 and expressed reservations about the placement of
the inlets.  (Rough flow is a particular problem with the F-111 because
the inlets are well aft under the wings, and there is a lot of fuselage
ahead of them to mess up the flow.)  Actually, the Brits had reservations
about a number of aspects of the design; if you compare the F-111 with the
later Tornado, you can see some of them.  Nobody listened.

(Oh, all right, a sampler...  F-111 intakes too far aft under wings; Tornado
intakes are forward on fuselage sides.  F-111 wing pivots too far outboard;
Tornado pivots are in fuselage.  F-111 fuselage bottom useless for stores
due to undercarriage retraction; Tornado undercarriage retracts into *sides*
of fuselage, leaving underside free for weapons.  Except for its smaller
size -- despite a reputation as a big aircraft, Tornado actually isn't
much larger than an F-18 -- the Tornado is what the F-111 should have been.)

The most interesting aspect of the whole thing was that production rolled
along steadily despite glaring evidence of problems.  The definitive fix
for the inlet problems involved significant structural changes, and by the
time it was sorted out, something like the first 50% of the production
F-111s were too far along to incorporate it.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

IA80007%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Martin E. Kader) (07/15/89)

From:    "Martin E. Kader" <IA80007%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
     I agree that the F-111A had problems with the inlets and compressor
stalls when it was in the pre-production and production stage of its
development, but these problems were corrected by the time the D, E, and
F variants were developed.  But, I must take exception to your comment
about the Tornado being the plane the F-111 should have been.  If you are
comparing the F-111A to the Tornado, then I say there is no comparison.
That comparison would be like comparing a '65 Corvette with an '75 Corvette.
Now, if you want to compare the F-111F to the Tornado, then I say the
F-111F is the better aircraft.  The F-111F has a max weapons load of
31500 lb and the Tornado has a max load of 20000 lb.  The F-111F has a
combat radius (hi-lo-hi) of 1480 km, the Tornado's combat radius is 1390 km.
The service ceiling for the F-111F is 60,000 ft and the Tornado's is 50,000 ft.
Maximum speed at high and low altitude is about the only thing these aircraft
have in common, high: Mach 2.4, low: Mach 1.2.  I think the F-111F is the
aircraft the F-111A was meant to be.

                                            Martin E. Kader
                                            University of Maine at Augusta
                                            IA80007@MAINE.BITNET
                                            IA80007@MAINE.MAINE.EDU

(Information taken from _The_World's_Great_Attack_Aircraft_, Gallery Books,
 New York, NY, Aerospace Publishing 1988.)