[sci.military] tank

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (07/20/89)

From: dsacg1!dsacg3!nzt1939 (William M. Aldo)
>From: William H Broadley <whbst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu>
>Tanks specification.
>
>I am writing a general tank simulation that allow stategy to be
>programmed into a tank, and the tank sent into a battle against other tanks
[stuff deleted]

>Needed info:
>	Shells fired per minute fire capacity (main gun).
>       Top speed (loaded tank)
>	Acceleration (0 to top speed or 0-60, I just need a feel for
>		     the acceleration)
>	How fast can the tank turrent re-aim (180 degrees in x seconds)
>	Practical range for a shell to hit another tank with accuracy.
>	(x feet off at 1000 yard.)
>	Number or direct or indiriect hits to kill a tank (1 direct?)
>	Radar range and time for acquisition (assuming tanks have radar
>	and favorable terrain/weather, I don't know if tanks do).
>       Turning radius at top speed or any measue of how fast you can
>	turn
>	How close does a shell need to hit before causing damage to a
>	tank.

[remainder deleted]

Fire capacity for the main gun is about 8 rounds per minute, depending
on how good your loader is, length of time for the gunner to re-aim
the main gun between rounds (if using a gunner -- gunner's functions
can be performed from the commander's position if the tank is with-
out a gunner), etc.

Top speed for a "combat-loaded" tank varies from 35-50 mph (M60-series
tank). The variance is due to speed governors -- most crews remove
the governors from an engine when the tank gets to a new unit (or a
new/overhauled engine is placed into a tank). With the governor in
place, top speed is approximately 36 mph -- without it, our tank could
do 49-50mph on flat terrain (a dirt road). Supposedly, the M1/M1E1
Abrahms can do 70 mph -- as a former tank commander, I don't discount
the figure of 70 mph, but I'd have to see it (or better, ride in it)
to believe it.

Practical range (I call it "ideal" range) to hit another tank with
accuracy 1000-1500 meters. The main gun is zeroed at 1200 meters. With
a good "zero", anything 1200 and less should be hitting exactly where
the crosshairs are. But there are other factors: wind, obstructions,
etc.

One direct hit can kill a tank -- it just depends on the location of
that hit. Place a hit where the turret and hull come together (the
turret-ring) -- like in the movies, the turret may blow away from
the hull;however,most cases you're going to use a second round.

The M60-series tanks (the M1-series, as well) do not have radar.......
...,yet. They use rangefinders for ranging -- the M1-series uses a
laser rangefinder which is much faster and highly accurately (its
max range is classified).

Actually, a tank can do a 360-degree turn in place; however, I never
tried it at top speed.....hmmmm, makes me wonder.

The other questions I will have to search the depths of my memory,
since it has been so long (16-17 years).

---

Mark Aldo                                      (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo
>From the Internet:                       waldo%dsacg1.uucp@daitc.arpa
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center     | 614-238-5811
DSAC-ZTB, P.O.Box 1605, Columbus, Ohio (USA) 43216     | AV  850-5811
All views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.