[sci.military] Shielding on nukes

arf@chinet.chi.il.us (Jack Schmidling) (07/20/89)

From: arf@chinet.chi.il.us (Jack Schmidling)

John Ralls says:

>As for finding nukes, that's easy.  Warheads aren't
shielded because of the weight, so you just point a
radiation detector at it.

ARF says:

I often get burned when I confront experts but that is a
rather outrageous statement if taken at face value.

If a warhead is not shielded, wouldn't it represent a
hazzard for personnel envolved in their handling, storage
training etc?

I for one, would be very interested in more information on
the subject.

The Amateur Radio Forum (arf)

nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby) (07/21/89)

From: nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby)
>ARF says:
>
>I often get burned when I confront experts but that is a
>rather outrageous statement if taken at face value.
>
>If a warhead is not shielded, wouldn't it represent a
>hazzard for personnel envolved in their handling, storage
>training etc?

	It's a question of how sensitive the instrument is compared to how
    much radioactive output is dangerous.  For some perspective on the
    matter: when eqipped with the right instruments, you can locate
    Fermilab (near Chicago) without knowing quite where it is.  Fermilab is
    not a dangerous place to work but sensitive instruments can find it.
    The same analogy works for nuke warheads.

    Neil Kirby
    ...cbsck!nak

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>If a warhead is not shielded, wouldn't it represent a
>hazzard for personnel envolved in their handling, storage
>training etc?

Sigh.  Warheads are not reactors.  There is a very large difference between
the amount of radiation that modern detectors can spot and the amount needed
to present a significant hazard to personnel.  You probably wouldn't want
to spend ten years sleeping in the same room with them if you could avoid
it, but the odds that normal occupational exposure would harm you are slim.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>If a warhead is not shielded, wouldn't it represent a
>hazzard for personnel envolved in their handling, storage
>training etc?

Sigh.  Warheads are not reactors.  There is a very large difference between
the amount of radiation that modern detectors can spot and the amount needed
to present a significant hazard to personnel.  You probably wouldn't want
to spend ten years sleeping in the same room with them if you could avoid
it, but the odds that normal occupational exposure would harm you are slim.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu
#! rnews 1217
From: hydrox@itsgw.rpi.edu (Michael Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Subject: Re: A new Tandy Laptop?
Date: 21 Jul 89 04:47:46 GMT
Sender: usenet@rpi.edu
Summary:Questions on Tandy 1Sender:hydrox@hope.its.rpi.edu
Keywords:1400LT

Hi there. I am new to the net and I'm looking for some information.  I recently
purchased a Tandy 1400LT.  I am trying to get some communication programs
to work with it but am not having any success.  Does anyone out there
in Netland happen to own one of these and am willing to swap some information
on what will and won't work on it?

Any help would be appreciated.

"Who said life was fair.hydrox@hope.its.rpi.edu                               Bitnet:F7TZ@RPITSMT,=#WMichael Hendrix
#! rnews 631
From: zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (anthony zador)
Newsgroups: comp.sources.wanted
Subject: Fortran --> C Translator
Date: 21 Jul 89 04:13:36 GMT
Sender: root@yale.UUCP

I was wondering if there is a reliable fortran to C translator,
and if so where.
Either PD or not-incredibly-expensive commercial.

Thanks,
Tony Zador
#! rnews 1424
From: jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
Subject: Re: ResEdit1.3dDate: 20 Jul 89 20:10:56 GMT

In article <239@6sigma.UUCP> blm@6sigma.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
> While we're talking about ResEdit, I have a question for everybody.  How
> many think ResEdit should just use SF{PutFile, GetFile} like everybody
> else?
> I do, and here's why:
[Many good reasons deleted]
> Brian L. Matthews	Six Sigma
Right on! I'm usually connected to my campus' several massive Vax file
servers by AlisaShare.  Run ResEdit and even on my 20 seconds (_after_ having loaded) to scan all those remote, read-only
volumes and give me their unwanted contents.

On the other hand, it's nice to have a bit of diversity.
--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department
   / /_/   O>  \   ------------+-------------------------+ Swarthmore College
   |       O>   |  215-328-8225| jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu| Swarthmore PA 190    \_Guernica_/   ------------+-------------------------+                 USA
#! rnews 1392
From: grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec
Subject: Re: UUCP through terminal server under ULTRIDate: 20 Jul 89 23:44:20 GMT

In article <1488@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> On a DEC ultrix computer, either a DECstation (mips based) or
> VAX (CVAX based) is it possible to run UUCP both dial in and
> dial out through a serial port on a DEC terminal server?

It is definitely possible to do incoming uucp thru a terminal server,
or at least it was until 3.0 somehow or other screwed up raw mode
handling in Land retries.

Outgoing is more problematical, I would say that you should be
able to do it with the new features for associating LLaround to implementing it yet.

#! rnews 2815
From: grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: Re: Dropping DSR under 3.0
Date: 21 Jul 89 00:03:41 GMT

In article <2249@husc6.harvard.edu> kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) writes:

>   We've upgraded one 8200 to version 3.0 and our Emulex board stopped
> dropping the DSR lines to our Micom, leaving them hanging 'til they
> time out. A DEC consultant claims that 3.0 checks to see if the card
> is a DEC card. If not, it doesn't do anything with DSR. Has anyone
> else experienced this and, if so, do you have any suggested fixes
> for it? TI
Which emulex card, and what is it emulating?

The 3.0 release broke all DSR support in a way that hasn't been clearly
explained.  A large set of patches available on the 3.0 patch tape
from the support center is supposed to fix what broke for the supported
drivers.  It didn't patch the unsupported DH11 driver, and I am having
DSR/DTR type problems with modems on the DH11.

An explict check for a "DEC" board seems fairly unlikely, however it
is possible they have done something that depends on both CD and DSR
and your emulation only supports CD, with DSR always asserted, then
it may break whatever rituals DEC has implemented.  Note that each of
the drivers has a global (patchable) variable that has some effect on
the handling of DSR.
If your Emulex board emulates a supported device, then the first step
would be to either obtain/install the patch tape or install the 3.1
upgrade.  If the emulated device is unsupported, maybe it's fixed in
3.1 or patching the global variable will help.

Disclaimer:

This is largely theoretical, but should give you a more productive
starting point than DEC consultants assertions.

Example:

/sys/data/dhu_data.c:int dhudsr = 0; /* A "0" here means ignore DSR */
/sys/data/dhu_data.c:int dhudsr = 1; /* A "1" here means drop line if DSR drops */
/sys/data/dmb_data.c:int dmbdsr = 0; /* A "0" here means ignore DSR */
/sys/data/dmb_data.c:int dmbdsr = 1; /* A "1" here means follow DS52 DSR signals */
/sys/data/dmf_data.c:int dmfdsr = 0; /* "1" = follow DECSTD52, 0 = no DS52 */
/sys/data/dmf_data.c:int dmfdsr = 1; /* "1" = follow DECSTD52, 0 = no DS52 */
/sys/data/dmz_data.c:int dmzdsr = 0; /* "0"=Don't follow DECSTD52 */
/sys/data/dmz_data.c:int dmzdsr = 1; /* "1"=Do follow DECSTD52 */
#! rnews 12616
From: tony@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Tony Martindale)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans,comp.sys.mac,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.protocols.appletalk
Subject: Summary: Backup via network
Date: 21 Jul 89 01:48:26 GMT

	 BACKUP VIA NETWORK, 	 =============================================

From: Steve Norton <sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
/* Written  8:34 pm  Jul 19, 1989 by arf@chinet.chi.il.us in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:sci.military */
/* ---------- "Shielding on nukes" ---------- */

If a warhead is not shielded, wouldn't it represent a
hazzard for personnel envolved in their handling, storage
training etc?

I for one, would be very interested in more information on
the subject.

+-+-+-+-+-+
While researching a debate on the SDI, I came across some interesting things
about the reentry vehicles used by warheads.  Apparently, the plutonium
used to initiate the fusion reaction slowly decays, releasing alpha particles
(is this right? i dont remember) but they are stopped by the thin metal
coating of the warhead.  No radiation is released by the warheads become
"hot to the touch", i.e. 100+ deg F.  {(This is incidentally, why warheads
are so easy to detect -- the near vacuum of low earth orbit is usuall
several hundred degrees below zero.  Any IR detector that misses a warhead
would have to be really screwed up...)

alton@wpi.wpi.edu (Alton J Reich) (07/27/89)

From: alton@wpi.wpi.edu (Alton J Reich)

>From: nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby)
>>ARF says:
>>
>>I often get burned when I confront experts but that is a
>>rather outrageous statement if taken at face value.
>>
>>If a warhead is not shielded, wouldn't it represent a
>>hazzard for personnel envolved in their handling, storage
>>training etc?

	Enriched Uranium such as in bombs and reactor fuel undergoes
radioactive decay just like other naturally occuring elements (the
same goes for plutonium, even though it isn't natural).  Once in a
while uranium undergoes spontaneous fission, this is rare.  Most of
the radiation emmited from uranium is in the form of alpha or betta
particles.  These particles have a short range, for example:
	Energetic alphas can be shielded with a piece of paper.
	Most bettas can be shielded with a piece of heavy duty
    aluminium foil.

	A thin sheet of lead will stop anything comming from that
warhead except for the occational neutron.

		Alton

I have seen all that has been,           * Alton J. Reich    * U nderestimate
And yet humanity fascinates me still,    * alton@wpi.bitnet  * K inetic
I have no face, no name, I the Observer. * alton.wpi.wpi.edu * E nergy