[sci.military] Tulsa's Underwater Navy

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (07/26/89)

From: brspyr1.brs.com!miket (Mike Trout)
NOTE: Although I am on the sci.military mailing list, I have been receiving an
average of only between one and four issues per week.  The remainder
apparently go into the ozone.  The problem is undoubtedly with this site;
numerous problems are routinely reported here.

In sci.military Digest  Saturday, 22 July, 1989  Volume 2 : Issue 52
apctrc!gpb6!zcnj01@uunet.UU.NET (Cecil N. Jones) writes:

> There is a WWII sub on display in Muskogee, Oklahoma.  It is the
> USS Batfish.  I think it is SS310.  Muskogee is about 40
> miles southeast of Tulsa.

As a born-and-raised Tulsan, I should add that I believe the _Batfish_ holds
the record for submarines killed by a submarine (about four or five, I
think).  There was an account of the _Batfish_'s combat career published a few
years back.  However, despite the boat's proximity to my ex-home, I've never
visited it (too many personal problems with the Sons of the Confederacy).  So
far, the only sub I've visited is the U-515 in Chicago.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bob Beville) (07/29/89)

From: Bob Beville <rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

	Isn't the U-boat you saw in Chicago the ' U-505 '
	captured in May 1944 by Capt. Gallery on the
	_S.S._Pillsbury_
	described in _THE_CODEBREAKERS_ by Kahn,  and
	Capt. Gallery's own book, _U-505_  ??????

	"your parrot is shining... "

	that's -OWARI- from GLOWWORM-7-9-4
	best regards, rbeville@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM
	Bob Beville, Tektronix, Inc., Beaverton, OR 97077

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (08/01/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <8677@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Bob Beville writes:
*	Isn't the U-boat you saw in Chicago the ' U-505 '
*	captured in May 1944 by Capt. Gallery on the
*	_S.S._Pillsbury_
*	described in _THE_CODEBREAKERS_ by Kahn,  and
*	Capt. Gallery's own book, _U-505_  ??????

Gallery's book is _Twenty Thousand Tons Under the Sea_;
i don't recall the publisher or the date of publication.

what is not commonly known is that Gallery almost was
courtmartialed because he captured the sub; if the
Germans had found out that a sub had been captured intact
with its Enigma machine and codebooks, they might have
made major changes to their communications and Ultra might
have become useless.  for this reason, the knowledge of the
capture of U 505 was suppressed for some time afterwards.

and there are still no good general histories of WWII that
take Ultra into account (i just finished a new one that
purports to be such a book; it's bloody awful and i'll be
posting a detailed review explaining why i think that in
the very near future.)

richard
--
richard welty    518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
..!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty            welty@lewis.crd.ge.com