[sci.military] an old sub

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (06/24/89)

From: smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin)

While in Baltimore for Usenix, I visited the U.S.S. Torsk, a World War II-
era submarine on display in the Inner Harbor.  That thing is tiny inside;
it's amazing to think that ~80 people could have lived on it for long
periods.

The other thing that suprised me was learning that it was still in service
as late as the Cuban Missle crisis.  When was the last such sub retired?

tzung@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Tzung I Lin) (06/27/89)

From: tzung@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Tzung I Lin)
In article <7726@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
:
:
:From: smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin)
:
:While in Baltimore for Usenix, I visited the U.S.S. Torsk, a World War II-
:era submarine on display in the Inner Harbor.  That thing is tiny inside;
:it's amazing to think that ~80 people could have lived on it for long
:periods.
:
:The other thing that suprised me was learning that it was still in service
:as late as the Cuban Missle crisis.  When was the last such sub retired?

I believe there still are many WW-II old subs serving in other country.
For instance, Taiwan still has two GUPPY subs in service.

Tzung-I

jrll@Portia.stanford.edu (john ralls) (06/28/89)

From: john ralls <jrll@Portia.stanford.edu>

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:

>While in Baltimore for Usenix, I visited the U.S.S. Torsk, a World War II-
>era submarine on display in the Inner Harbor.  That thing is tiny inside;
>it's amazing to think that ~80 people could have lived on it for long
>periods.

>The other thing that suprised me was learning that it was still in service
>as late as the Cuban Missle crisis.  When was the last such sub retired?

Most of the WWII left-over subs were retired from USN service between
1968 and 1972;  as your friend noted, many went on to other countries
and serve still.  (The Argentine boat Santa Fe, which the British sank
in the Falklands war, was ex-USS Catfish SS-339, built by EB in 1944).

The US Navy now operates only four diesel submarines -- USS Darter,
the last one built with the old-style hull; USS Barbel and
USS Blueback, of the first class of spindle-hulled submarines built (a
third sister, USS Bonefish, was badly damaged in a fire in 1986.  She
will not likely return to service); and a research deep-diver, the
USS Dolphin.

Many of the old boats are in monuments and displays around the
country, in a variety of configurations.  Two which are particularly
well restored and which avoided the post war "GUPPY" modifications are
USS Lionfish, at Fall River Massachusets, and USS Pintado, at
Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

John

hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo) (07/07/89)

From: hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo)

Are any of the WWII subs on display, at various locations, subs
of the Balao class and in original WWII configuration? My father-
in-law served aboard the Bang during the war, and I would like to
get some pictures for him.

                                                  Larry

jrll@Portia.stanford.edu (john ralls) (07/13/89)

From: john ralls <jrll@Portia.stanford.edu>
hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo) writes:

>Are any of the WWII subs on display, at various locations, subs
>of the Balao class and in original WWII configuration? My father-
>in-law served aboard the Bang during the war, and I would like to
>get some pictures for him.

I know of two:  Lionfish (SS-298), is at Battleship Cove in Fall
River, Mass., and Pintado (SS-387) is at Fisherman's Wharf in San
Francisco.   Pintado is likely to be closer in configuration to Bang,
being only two numbers different (Bang was SS-385).  She is in lovely
condition, having gone into mothballs right after the war and then
directly to preservation in the early seventies when she was stricken.
John

zcnj01@uunet.UU.NET (Cecil N. Jones) (07/22/89)

From: apctrc!gpb6!zcnj01@uunet.UU.NET (Cecil N. Jones)

>hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo) writes:
>>
>>Are any of the WWII subs on display, at various locations, subs
>>of the Balao class and in original WWII configuration?

There is a WWII sub on display in Muskogee, Oklahoma.  It is the
USS Batfish.  I think it is SS310.  Muskogee is about 40
miles southeast of Tulsa.

  Cecil N. Jones    Amoco Production Co.  Tulsa, OK
  @apctrc.uucp
  The opinions expressed are solely my own.

SKI%RICE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (David Palkowski) (08/01/89)

From: SKI%RICE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (David Palkowski)

Don't forget the USS Drum in the water and open for
tours in Mobile, AL. It sits next to the USS Alabama
just off Mobile Bay. There are also a number of aircraft
on static display, including a B-52 and, if memory
serves, a PBY.

P.S., If you make it down that far, why not spend an extra
      two hours by auto and check out the museum at
      Pensacola NAS. (one of the best, IMHO)
-------

David Palkowski Jr.
ICSA/Rice University