[sci.military] F/A-18 modifications

nassio%cfassp12@harvard.harvard.edu (George Nassiopoulos) (07/29/89)

From: nassio%cfassp12@harvard.harvard.edu (George Nassiopoulos)

I have gone to two airshows this summer and have noticed a slight
modification to the F/A-18 Hornets.  At the first airshow, i
noticed the modification on the Blue Angels' jets and thought
that it was probably applied only to those aircraft, but then at
a second airshow i saw the mods. on two fleet (i.e. combat) F/A-18's.

The modification i am speaking about is the addition of two identical
canard-like objects (winglets?) to the ``chines'' of the aircraft.
(I don't know if ``chines'' is the correct term -- i mean the parts
of the fuselage which begin at the canopy and extend out towards the
roots of the wings.  They provide a sort of ``hood'' over the engine
intakes and give the F/A-18 a cobra-like appearance.)
The ``winglets'' are bolted onto the ``chines'' almost directly
above the engine inlets and they stick outwards almost at the same
angles as the aircraft's twin tails.

Does anyone know what these additions are?  They could conceivably
be antennae/sensors, but my hunch is that they were placed there for
aerodynamic/stability reasons.  Anyone know for sure?

George Nassiopoulos
nassio@cfa.harvard.edu

jlo@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jeff Lo) (08/01/89)

From: elan!jlo@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jeff Lo)

In article <8673@cbnews.ATT.COM> nassio%cfassp12@harvard.harvard.edu (George Nassiopoulos) writes:
>I have gone to two airshows this summer and have noticed a slight
>modification to the F/A-18 Hornets.  At the first airshow, i
>
>The modification i am speaking about is the addition of two identical
>canard-like objects (winglets?) to the ``chines'' of the aircraft.

There was a bit of discussion on these additions in a recent AvLeak
in the story on the high angle of attack F/A-18 at Dryden.  They are
aero devices, not antennae or some such.  The story as I remember it
is that they are there to move vortices away from the vertical stab.
I heard (fourth hand or so, so don't trust the accuracy of this) that
there was a problem with cracks in the tails of some Hornets, and
apparently this little tab solved the problem by moving turbulence
away from the tail.  Any more confirmation or details from M F Shafer?
--
Jeff Lo, Elan Computer Group, Inc.
jlo@elan.com, ..!{ames,uunet}!elan!jlo

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (08/01/89)

From: shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)

In article <8673@cbnews.ATT.COM> nassio%cfassp12@harvard.harvard.edu (George Nassiopoulos) writes:

>I have gone to two airshows this summer and have noticed a slight
>modification to the F/A-18 Hornets.

>The modification i am speaking about is the addition of two identical
>canard-like objects (winglets?) to the ``chines'' of the aircraft.
>(I don't know if ``chines'' is the correct term -- i mean the parts
>of the fuselage which begin at the canopy and extend out towards the
>roots of the wings.  They provide a sort of ``hood'' over the engine
>intakes and give the F/A-18 a cobra-like appearance.)
>The ``winglets'' are bolted onto the ``chines'' almost directly
>above the engine inlets and they stick outwards almost at the same
>angles as the aircraft's twin tails.

>Does anyone know what these additions are?  They could conceivably
>be antennae/sensors, but my hunch is that they were placed there for
>aerodynamic/stability reasons.  Anyone know for sure?

They're strakes added to reduce the buffet loads on the vertical
stabilizers.  (Yes, I know they aren't really vertical :-)) The
leading edge extensions (LEXs), which are what you're calling "chines",
generate a vortex which impinges on the verticals.  The buffet from
the LEX vortes at high angles of attack is damaging the verticals by
fatiguing them.  The strakes keep the vortex burst point off of the
verticals.

If you want an idea about the LEX vortices and their impingement on
the verticals, try to find the AvWeek with the NASA Dryden F-18 on the
cover (Sometime in May, I think).  We inject smoke into the LEX
vortex, making it visible, and you will readily see where these
vortices are and why they're so hard on the vertical.

Just a quick (and probably tedious) note on nomenclature--the tail of
an aircraft is just the back end.  The rudder is on the vertical
stabilizer and the elevator/elevon is on the horizontal stabilizer.
An elevon is a control surface which provides both pitch (elevator)
and roll (aileron) commands.  If the entire horizontal stabilizer is a
control surface, it's a stabilator (combination of elevator and
stabilizer) or, particularly for larger airplanes, a flying tail.
Also on larger airplanes, an elevon is sometimes called a rolling
tail.  However, the flying and rolling tail terms are older terms and
not very common.

--

M F Shafer                          shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center           arpa!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer