[sci.military] Dutch in WW2

cdf%naucse.UUCP@arizona.edu ("Ghost" Fischer) (07/22/89)

From: cdf%naucse.UUCP@arizona.edu ("Ghost" Fischer)
>Dutch territories were controlled by the Dutch government-in-exile, located
>(I think) in England.  (It was the US, the British, and the Dutch g-i-e who
>decided to cut off Japan's oil supply in retaliation for events in China,
>thus precipitating Pearl Harbor.)  How the details of this worked, I don't
>know offhand.
>
>                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
In William Manchester's "The Glory and the Dream"(TGD), it describes the
Battle of Java Sea.  The Allied fleet was commanded by a Dutch Admiral
and his commands had to be translated for the commanders of his ships.
The allied fleet was outmatched, with the largest being 2 Cruisers
compared to the Japanese 4 battleships and 5 carriers.  Half of the
Dutch ships went down before the Japanese planes finished off the rest.
The last two surviving ships were the U.S.S. Houston and the Australian
Perth and were sunk trying to escape through Sunda Straight.

Also TGD, says that the Dutch were very angry about Field Marshal Wavell
flying off to India and leaving them to their fate.

rick@pavlov.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (08/07/89)

From: "Richard H. Miller" <rick@pavlov.tmc.edu>

In article <8523@cbnews.ATT.COM>, cdf%naucse.UUCP@arizona.edu ("Ghost" Fischer) writes:
> The last two surviving ships were the U.S.S. Houston and the Australian
> Perth and were sunk trying to escape through Sunda Straight.

I don't have my references with me, but I do know that the Houston and Perth
were sunk in an attack on the Japanese invasion force in the Sundra Strait.
The USNI published a book not too long ago on this called (I think) "The Ghost
of the Sundra Strait". I will check my references tonite and try to post
something next week.
Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532
Baylor College of Medicine        US Mail: One Baylor Plaza, 302H
                                           Houston, Texas 77030

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (08/09/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

*From: "Richard H. Miller" <rick@pavlov.tmc.edu>

*In article <8523@cbnews.ATT.COM>, cdf%naucse.UUCP@arizona.edu ("Ghost" Fischer) writes:
*> The last two surviving ships were the U.S.S. Houston and the Australian
*> Perth and were sunk trying to escape through Sunda Straight.

*I don't have my references with me, but I do know that the Houston and Perth
*were sunk in an attack on the Japanese invasion force in the Sundra Strait.

quite right.  the confusion probably arises because the fate of
Huston and Perth were not known until after the end of the war, when
the survivors were released from Japanese POW camps.  before that,
all that was known was that the two cruisers did not rendezvous with
the destroyer that was waiting to try and escape with them, and as such
most listings (such as the war loss section of Jane's) were decidedly
vague about how they were lost.

richard
--
richard welty    518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
..!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty            welty@lewis.crd.ge.com