[sci.military] Surface Damage From AA Nukes

mmm@cup.portal.com (08/14/89)

From: mmm@cup.portal.com
> From: well!nagle@lll-crg.llnl.gov (John Nagle)
>
>      Nike-Hercules was "nuclear capable".  Since the Nike installations ringed
> U.S. cities, the damage from blasts probably would have been considerable.

In one of Edward Teller's books, titled either THE ATOMIC FUTURE or
THE NUCLEAR FUTURE, he shows a picture of a group of soldiers standing
at "ground zero" of a nuclear explosion while the explosion is occurring.
The explosion is at a high altitude (I forget how high).  There is also a
picture of what they would have seen, looking up.  It's a fairly tenuous
smoke ring.