[sci.military] F-15 lands with one wing...

mjt@super.org (Michael J. Tighe) (07/12/89)

From: Michael J. Tighe <mjt@super.org>
> Three or four years ago there was a dogfight midair in the US --
> probably Israeli aircraft although this wasn't made clear -- between
> an F-15 and an A-4.  Totalled most of one wing of the F-15.  Safe
> (although very fast) landing was made.

The only midair collision that resulted in a landing of an F-15
without a wing that I know of was an Israeli F-15B aircraft. The
incident happened *at least* 4 years ago. The F-15B lost the entire
right wing. I am not sure where it happened, but based on the
surrounding area of the picture I saw of it, I was led to believe it
was not in the US.
-------------
Michael Tighe
internet: mjt@super.org
   uunet: ...!uunet!super!mjt

page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu (Ward Page) (08/15/89)

From: page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu (Ward Page)

>  The only midair collision that resulted in a landing of an F-15
>  without a wing that I know of was an Israeli F-15B aircraft. The
>  incident happened *at least* 4 years ago. The F-15B lost the entire
>  right wing.

I believe that the Israeli F-15 was hit by a SAM that did not explode.
It flew back and landed safely but very fast.

An interesting story I heard from a safety engineer at Gen. Dynamics when
I worked there:  An Israeli F-4 had just landed and was taxiing off of the
runway when the ejection seat went off and shot the pilot clear of the area.
The F-4 was still taxiing when the pilot, free of his chute, caught up with
the A/C, climbed in and taxied the plane to its hangar.

Ward Page
University of Illinois
page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu