[sci.military] F-18 finlets, and more...

maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert) (08/18/89)

From: maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert)
The finlets seen on recent F-18's are not the only big event.  The BIG
news is that the F-18C and D (C=1 seat,D=2 seat trainer) upgraded Hornets
are now being deployed.  The primary changes are in the electronics (radar)
 department.  Neat new modes, better aainst jamming, etc.   I believe that the
 finlets are standard on new
Hornets and being quickly retrofitted to old...

Also, report from pilot in A-6E squadron that lost plane and right-seater
to fatigue induced wing loss...hot item is that the new wings that they are
supposed to be getting aren't getting there real fast.  The pilots are NOT
happy with this development.

And in the security department...
At recent airshow, USAF crew allowing people _everywhere_ in and on a F-111,
including pictures.  I have some neat ones of inside cockpit, weapons bay,
engine, etc.  And as side note,
They Ain't Teachin Them Like They Used To...
I knew more than the pilot about the F-111's intake and engine history.  Or
at least more than he would admit to knowing...

maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu
george william herbert

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (08/21/89)

From: aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer)

In article <26822@amdcad.AMD.COM> maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert) writes:
>And in the security department...
>At recent airshow, USAF crew allowing people _everywhere_ in and on a F-111,
>including pictures.  I have some neat ones of inside cockpit, weapons bay,
>engine, etc.

That's nothing new, I took the same pictures at an airshow in 73. What's
classified is the performance stats not the instruments themselves.

Exception: when I was in the Civil Air Patrol in the early 70's they let
us go inside a B-52 at a SAC base. Several parts of the EWO crewstation
had red tape with the words SECRET covering up some instruments.

|  Allen Sherzer                     | DETROIT:                            |
|  aws@iti.org                       | Where the weak are killed and eaten |