[sci.military] RATO and JATO

mmm@cup.portal.com (08/14/89)

From: mmm@cup.portal.com
In AIR POWER: KEY TO SURVIVAL by Alexanader de Seversky, there's a picture
of a B-47 taking off with JATO boosters (small jets strapped to the plane
for extra power, which drop off after take-off, although these boosters
look more like RATO, which are rockets).

I'm wondering whether RATO or JATO was purely experimental, or whether it
was ever a deployed system?  Are any RATO or JATO system currently in use
or under experimentation?

rbeville@tekig5.pen.tek.com (Bob Beville) (08/16/89)

From: rbeville@tekig5.pen.tek.com (Bob Beville)

	 My high school gung-ho collection of airplane photos shows
	 B-47 takeoffs with JATO from what is clearly installations
	 in the fuselage... not ejectable bottles. (tail no. 91909)
	 looks to be about 9 ports of them (tail no  6065)
	 Another takeoff view ( negative #  654-619 Aerojet-General
	 Corp. photo ) shows the JATO blast coming from behind a
	 hinged door that appears to be able to close flush with
	 the curvature of the fuselage...

	 Another photo ( negatiuve  252-995 Aerojet General Corp. photo)
	 (tail no. 33NB) shows a twin prop Navy plane with 4 external
	 JATO bottles per side.

	 Aerojet-General neg no. 5269 shows a Navy CONSTITUTION with
	 JATO takeoff, not discernible about ejectable or permanent
	 installation in plane.  Wing obscures the sources but cloud
	 streams are trailing off above the wing near the fuselage....

	 What a lot of no-help I've been, huh?

	that's -OWARI- from GLOWWORM-7-9-4
	best regards, rbeville@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM
	Bob Beville, Tektronix, Inc., Beaverton, OR 97077

bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (Thomas W. Basham) (08/16/89)

From: bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (Thomas W. Basham)

[When quoting someone please include their name and address!  Thanks. --CDR]
>I'm wondering whether RATO or JATO was purely experimental, or whether it
>was ever a deployed system?  Are any RATO or JATO system currently in use
>or under experimentation?

I don't know much about this, however, I have seen pictures of an
Etentard (spelled?) taking of with a RATO system.  That's the only place
I've ever seen such a contraption.  I can't remebmer where I saw this,
if anyone cares I'll look it up.

Tom Basham      AT&T Bell Laboratories    (312) 979-6336
att!ihlpb!bash
bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM          If you can't beat 'em, infiltrate and
                            destroy them from within.

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (08/16/89)

From: leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger)

:
:I'm wondering whether RATO or JATO was purely experimental, or whether it
:was ever a deployed system?  Are any RATO or JATO system currently in use
:or under experimentation?

JATO and RATO are one and the same thing, small solid propellant
rockets that can be strapped to aircraft to shorten the takeoff roll
or allow a grater takeoff weight.  They were originally developed by
JPL for the US Army Air Corps during WWII.  Small jet engines were
never used only rockets.  JATO was and is still some times used by the
military.  B-47's routinely used them and, I believe, they are still
used on C-130's in Antarctica.

Lee

"I'm the NRA"

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin 1759

brent@capmkt.com (Brent Chapman) (08/17/89)

From: brent@capmkt.com (Brent Chapman)

#
# I'm wondering whether RATO or JATO was purely experimental, or whether it
# was ever a deployed system?  Are any RATO or JATO system currently in use
# or under experimentation?

_THE_ most impressive demonstration flight at the July 4 Moffett Air Show
this year, as far as I'm concerned, was the JATO takeoff by the C-130 that
accompanies the Blue Angels (nicknamed "Fat Albert").  The plane comes
lumbering down the runway, rotates for takeoff, and then suddenly jumps
skyward at a truly incredible angle and rate as the crew lights the JATO
bottles...  An incredible amount of flames, smoke, and NOISE for about 5 or
10 seconds until the bottles burn out (or are turned off; not sure which,
but I suspect the former) and the plane continues normally.

Maybe it's just that I've seen the fighter demonstrations so many times that
they get a sort of "so what?" reaction from me any more, but I thought this
demo was really something...

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Computer Operations Manager			1995 University Ave., Suite 390

wyle@lavi.inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (08/18/89)

From: wyle@lavi.inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle)

>From: mmm@cup.portal.com
>I'm wondering whether RATO or JATO was purely experimental, or whether it
>was ever a deployed system?  Are any RATO or JATO system currently in use
>or under experimentation?

Swiss Mirage interceptors use RATO every time they take off (daily).

-Mitchell F. Wyle
Institut fuer Informationssysteme         wyle@inf.ethz.ch
ETH Zentrum / 8092 Zurich, Switzerland    +41 1 256 5237

rls@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (08/18/89)

From: rls@crdgw1.crd.ge.com
The local Air National Guard uses JATO bottles on C-130s for short
field / heavy payload takeoffs in the arctic. If I recall correctly,
there were four bottles per side.

I witnessed a demonstration at an airshow last year - impressive
boost, painful noise.

chidsey@brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (08/21/89)

[That's about it for this topic, unless someone has a reference for this.]

From: chidsey@brl.mil (Irving Chidsey)
This is from a not always reliable memory, but:

Back in the late 40s there was a news item about a couple of spectacular
crashes in Chicago involving cars with jato bottles in back that suddenly
roared down deserted streets in the night and crashed into an inconvenient
building after a very short, quarter block, flight.  The cars were stolen,
and this was presumed to be an unsuccesful test of a better getaway car.

						Irv
--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DOA, the DOD, or the US Government