[sci.military] DFing, was The death of mobile war

baum@apple.com (Allen Baum) (08/16/89)

From: baum@apple.com (Allen Baum)

>In article <26710@amdcad.AMD.COM> willey@arrakis.nevada.edu (James P. Willey) writes:
>3.  Like the artillery, the FOO is easy to locate. (location of artillery has
>already been discussed, so I will not go into that here)  Thus, if the FOO
>is to survive, he must move if his position might have been compromised.
>(like using his radio to call for fire support)  During these moves, he will
>be out of contact.

Why is it easy to find the FOO? With the advent of satellite transponders,
and something to compress and squirt a transmission, I would think it would be
very hard to locate a transmitter. I thought it wasn't very easy to begin
with- a lot of hunting and turning antennas, etc.

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (08/18/89)

From: smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin)
In article <26781@amdcad.AMD.COM>, baum@apple.com (Allen Baum) writes:
> Why is it easy to find the FOO? With the advent of satellite transponders,
> and something to compress and squirt a transmission, I would think it would be
> very hard to locate a transmitter. I thought it wasn't very easy to begin
> with- a lot of hunting and turning antennas, etc.

I suspect that a lot depends on how directional the transmission is,
and just how good the compression is; however, Kahn reports an incident
during World War II, wherein 26 direction-finding stations located
a 15-second (compressed) U-boat transmission.  (P. 504 in my hard-cover
copy.)

Use of spread-spectrum techniques might alter that equation a lot, though.

		--Steve Bellovin

willey@arrakis.nevada.edu (James P. Willey) (08/21/89)

From: willey@arrakis.nevada.edu (James P. Willey)

In article <26781@amdcad.AMD.COM> baum@apple.com (Allen Baum) writes:

>Why is it easy to find the FOO? With the advent of satellite transponders,
>and something to compress and squirt a transmission, I would think it would be
>very hard to locate a transmitter. I thought it wasn't very easy to begin
>with- a lot of hunting and turning antennas, etc.

Any attacking force will have his DF ears wide open to locate any artillery
observers.  Communications is not one of my strong points, but I do know
that any observer who relies on the satellites being there could very
possibly be disappointed.  My previous message was a summary of some of the
lessons in First Clash.  Maybe someone out in net.land who knows about
communications can clear up this point.  Basically, can the techno-gizmos
referred to by Allen operate without the satellites, and what back-up
communications equipment are standard?

--
James P. Willey              willey@arrakis.NEVADA.EDU
Disclainer:  I'm unemployed, so my employer IS responsible for my opinions.

A WWI biplane had perhaps fifteen guages and instruments, a WWII fighter some
thirty-five or so.  By the time of the Global Civil War, a front-line
fighter-bomber had approximately four hundred indicators, readouts, and so
forth.  Robotech mecha made those planes look as simple as unicycles.
                                 (Robotech)

nagle@lll-crg.llnl.gov (John Nagle) (08/21/89)

From: well!nagle@lll-crg.llnl.gov (John Nagle)
In article <26781@amdcad.AMD.COM> baum@apple.com (Allen Baum) writes:

>Why is it easy to find the FOO? With the advent of satellite transponders,
>and something to compress and squirt a transmission, I would think it would be
>very hard to locate a transmitter.

      The usual low-tech solution is for the FOO to use a wired field phone
when possible.  Why complicate things?

					John Nagle

borynec@bnr-di.UUCP (08/21/89)

From: borynec@bnr-di.UUCP

In article <26781@amdcad.AMD.COM>, baum@apple.com (Allen Baum) writes:

> Why is it easy to find the FOO? With the advent of satellite transponders,
> and something to compress and squirt a transmission, I would think it would be
> very hard to locate a transmitter. I thought it wasn't very easy to begin
> with- a lot of hunting and turning antennas, etc.

Actually, in the defense, you don't even need that sort of high
technology.  Artillery regiments typically have a line section which
gives them the capability to run telephones between the FOO's and their
command posts.  This allows them to communicate without breaking radio
silence.

This technology is circa WWI.

 Cheers ... James Borynec

--
UUCP : utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!borynec  James Borynec, Bell Northern Research
Bitnet: borynec@bnr.CA        Box 3511, Stn C, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4H7