[sci.military] Dune Buggys

timk@watmath.waterloo.edu (Tim Kuehn) (08/31/89)

From: egvideo!timk@watmath.waterloo.edu (Tim Kuehn)
Supposedly at one time there was a time when dune-buggy's were
considered for use in combat. Mounted with a recoilless rifle or
machine gun, they were fast enough to be hard to target and quick
enough to get the drop on enemy forces/etc. Repair time was minimal
also - 20 min to change an engine, which meant they could be back in
action pretty quickly after being damaged. Is there any truth to this?
What would be the implications of such non-armored, quick weapons
platforms in a combat such as this? (Would anyone want to drive one in
a firefight? :-) )

|Timothy D. Kuehn	       			       timk@xenitec	      |
|TDK Consulting Services			       !watmath!xenitec!timk  |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		       (519)-741-3623 	      |

military@cbnews.att.com (Bill Thacker) (09/01/89)

From: military@cbnews.att.com (Bill Thacker)

In article <27043@amdcad.AMD.COM> Timothy Kuehn writes:
>Supposedly at one time there was a time when dune-buggy's were
>considered for use in combat. Mounted with a recoilless rifle or
>machine gun

Sounds like the XR311 High Mobility Wheeled Vehicle, designed by FMC
in 1970 as a private venture.

Crew: 3
Weight loaded: 2767 kg
Lenght: 4.343m
Width: 1.93m
Height: 1.6m less armament
Turning Radius: 6.51m
Road Speed: 80 mph level, 10 km/hr on 60 degree slope
Acceleration: 0-60 in 12 seconds
Range: 300 miles
Fording: .75 m
Engine: Chrylser OHV V-8, 187HP at 4000 rpm

Yes, it looks like a dune buggy.  It has a tubular steel frame with
integral roll bar, sheet metal body, and removable windshield.  It
can mount a 5000-kg winch, and has a little cargo space behind the
seats (3 mounted side-by-side), plus a load-bearing rear engine deck.

A full-length skid pan is fitted.  It is full-time 4-wheel drive, with
three speeds forward, one reverse, power-assisted steering, 4-wheel
disk brakes, and a sun-roof 8-)   It can tow a trailer, is
air-transportable, and can be air-dropped.

The newest data I have is vintage 1976, so much may have changed. At
that time, ten had been tested by the US Army; four with TOW missiles,
3 with .50-cal MG's, and 3 with 7.62mm MG's.  The TOW variant was stated
at the time to cost about $50,000.  However, no US orders were placed,
though apparently Israel bought an unspecified number.

Various conversion kits are available:

Crew compartment armor - hardened steel doors, side body panels, toe
	panel, firewall, bulletproof windshield and side windows.
Armored radiator
Armored fuel tank
Top and door kit (waterproof fabric, plastic windows)
Communications gear
High-output alternator
Litter-carrying kit
Jump seat for 2 extra passengers
Explosion-resistant foam-filled fuel tank
Radial ply tires
Bulletproof, foam-filled tires
Extreme climate kits for desert or winter
Tool kit and fire extinguisher

Versions:

Antitank:
 106mm recoilless rifle with six rounds, or
 TOW launcher with ten missiles

Recon:
 .50-cal ring mount, can also mount grenade launcher or 7.62mm MG.

Security/Convoy escort:
 pintle mount for 7.62 mm MGs, 40mm grenade launcher, etc.

Communications:
 ground-to-ground or ground-to-air radios

Reference:

C.F. Foss, _Jane's World Armored Fighting Vehicles_, St. Martin's Press,
New York, 1976, ISBN 0-312-44047-2, pp 178-179.

--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--
Bill Thacker   Moderator, sci.military  military-request@att.att.com
(614) 860-5294      Send submissions to military@att.att.com

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (09/01/89)

From: smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin)

During the recent fighting between Chad and Libya, the Chadian (is there
a better word?) forces supposedly used pickup trucks with anti-tank weapons
mounted in the back.

reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu (09/01/89)

From: reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

egvideo!timk@watmath.waterloo.edu (Tim Kuehn) writes:
>Supposedly at one time there was a time when dune-buggy's were
>considered for use in combat.

I read several years ago (possibly in Aviation Week or Defense
Electronics) that the military dune-buggy project was abandoned when
field tests showed tanks could easily run them over, being as fast or
faster and able to go over trees instead of around them.

--
Frank
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

dl@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (09/01/89)

From: dl@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher)

Several years ago, when there was a large stink about the M1
price tag, and Chrysler was in deep $$ doodoo, Andy Rooney
suggested buying each and every grunt in West Germany
{his,her} own Lebaron.
Seems to me it was going to be cheaper, too.

[But I don't believe the LeBaron has much off-road capacity or
 hard kill capacity, although it does get better mileage. :-) --CDR]
--
Flash! Murphy gets look and feel copyright on sendmail.cf
  {gatech!} wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (305) 255-RTFM