[sci.military] F-111s, long-winged Canberras, and World War II

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (08/31/89)

From: miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout)
In sci.military Digest  Wednesday, 05 July, 1989  Volume 2 : Issue 37
 henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> F-111 wing pivots too far outboard; Tornado pivots are in fuselage.

Okay, I'll bite.  Why does this cause a problem?  It seems that most Soviet
swing-wing planes (Tu-26, Tu-160, MiG-23/27, Su-17/20/22) have configurations
that swing a rather small percentage of the wing, far further outboard than on
most western aircraft (one exception may be the Su-24).  Do the Soviets
have problems with this?  Also, of course, the USAF has the B-1B, which seems
to follow the "Soviet" style of swing-wings.

--------------------------

And unocss!mlewis@uunet.UU.NET (Marcus S. Lewis) writes:

> I remember seeing a Canberra recce (looooong wings) bird on the flight line
> [at Ramstein in the late 60s] and being told not to talk about it.  Also
> can't rememer markings on it.

I used to see a lot of these at Davis-Monthan AFB (Tucson, Ariz.) in the early
1970s.  I think the designation was RB-57H (could be wrong on that final
letter).  Most were in bare aluminum with pretty much standard USAF markings
with squadron markings and whatnot.  Nobody made much of a fuss about them,
but I think by then they were slowly starting to be scrapped; there was also a
U-2 squadron at Davis-Monthan then and everybody DID make a big fuss about
that.  The RB-57H takeoff was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.
Level attitude, lots of noise, with low forward speed but high vertical speed,
with the plane staying basically nose level throughout.  Years later we would
call this a "Harrier-style" takeoff.  The RB-57H would stay in sight for an
amazingly long time, seemingly hardly moving forward at all but rising into
the sky like it was on an elevator.  You could still feel the engine roar
after the plane was a mere dot in the sky, by which time it hardly seemed to
be outside the base boundary fence.  Eventually it would disappear into the
typical cloudless Arizona sky, but you could still hear the engines for quite
a while.

-----------------------

The "50 Years Ago" project is an excellent idea, and I hope that I'll see some
of it.  But I'm a little leery of the source, and therefore of the emphasis.
Will this actually be "50 Years Ago As Viewed From the USA"?  Will there be
enough Russian Front emphasis?  Will a 100-man skirmish between Germans and
Americans get more play than a 100,000-man battle between Germans and Soviets?
What about the gargantuan (and still virtually unknown) Chinese Front?
Admittedly, producing a proper mix for a perspective-oriented view of WWII
is a major task for anybody, and I give our moderater a lot of credit for being
willing to take on this job.  It's still a great idea, even with a USA slant.

[I'm sure Bill Thacker would welcome non-US oriented suggestions.
Send mail to military@cbnews.att.com. --CDR]

Replies to e-mail, as I still can't get sci.military, either over the net or
via the mailing list.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (09/01/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>
In the referenced posting, miket@brspyr1.brs.com writes:

>In sci.military Digest  Wednesday, 05 July, 1989  Volume 2 : Issue 37
>henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>> F-111 wing pivots too far outboard; Tornado pivots are in fuselage.

>Okay, I'll bite.  Why does this cause a problem?  It seems that most Soviet
>swing-wing planes (Tu-26, Tu-160, MiG-23/27, Su-17/20/22) have configurations
>that swing a rather small percentage of the wing, far further outboard than on
>most western aircraft (one exception may be the Su-24).  Do the Soviets
>have problems with this?  Also, of course, the USAF has the B-1B, which seems
>to follow the "Soviet" style of swing-wings.

Henry's mistaken--the F-111 wing pivot is right at the root of the
wing, contained in the fuselage.  The _entire_ wing pivots around its
inboard end at a point 70" from the fuselage midline.  There is,
however, a glove over the wing root, which may have given a casual
observer the impression that the pivot is further outboard.

All the swing-wing aircraft I'm familiar with pivot the entire wing on
at the wing root, within the fuselage, rather than using a pivot at
some outboard span position.  These aircraft are the late-40s German
plane, the NACA version thereof (X-5?), the F-111, F-14, Tornado, B-1,
AD-1, Oblique-wing F-8, and, in its own peculiar way, the X-Wing or
RSRA.  Except for the first two and the F-8 (which was never built),
my familiarity is based on first-hand observation.  The last three
pivot at precisely the fuselage midline.

The reasons for this are aerodynamic and structural.  First, the
inboard pivot is better for the flow.  Second, it's harder to build a
wet wing with a pivot in the middle of it and the pivot also reduces
the number of hard points you can put on the wing.  The weight of an
outboard pivot is going to mess up your wing loading, so that you will
either have to build a very strong (and heavy) wing or you will have
to accept a narrower g envelope.  On the other hand, it's a lot easier
to put the structure into the fuselage, where you already have a lot
of structure already.  It's probably also better from a maintainence
point to have the pivot within the fuselage.

Think about the wing as a cantilever beam, which it is.  It's better
to pivot the beam at the attach point than at a point halfway down the
beam.  On these swing-wing aircraft, the attach point is inside the
fuselage.

Before someone gets excited at catching me in an inconsistancy, I'll
admit that some aircraft do indeed _fold_ their wings at some outboard
span position.  However, this is just folding and is only loadbearing
in the down and locked position.

>And unocss!mlewis@uunet.UU.NET (Marcus S. Lewis) writes:

>> I remember seeing a Canberra recce (looooong wings) bird on the flight line
>> [at Ramstein in the late 60s] and being told not to talk about it.  Also
>> can't rememer markings on it.

>I used to see a lot of these at Davis-Monthan AFB (Tucson, Ariz.) in the early
>1970s.  I think the designation was RB-57H (could be wrong on that final
>letter).

This is commonly called a "B-57 Long-wing"--talk about original names. :-)

--
Mary Shafer   shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  arpa!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA