[sci.military] Anti-torpedo warfare

gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) (08/31/89)

From: gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux)

In a recent issue of _Defense News_, I saw a small article claiming that the
Navy is planning to offer contracts for antitorpedo systems. Presumably these
would be carried on board subs (since New London was listed as the project
office) and used to somehow kill or spoof incoming torpedos.

I thought about it, but couldn't convince myself that an active system would be
much use. The British dropped something like 85% of their torpedos on false
contacts, and a common tactic of US ASW is to drop a torpedo just to see what
the other guy does.

Any passive system would probably be pretty useless; non-violence doesn't
work too well against R533s.

So what does that leave them with? How can a sub defend itself against torpedo
attacks? (invisibility and getting the first shot aside) Are these systems
likely to be useful? Would their activation increase the likelihood of enemy
ASW being able to fix their location?

Enquiring minds want to know.

-Paul

--
Paul E. Robichaux                  |"Collateral damage is the number of women
Georgia Institute of Technology    | and children you kill when attempting to do

budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (09/02/89)

From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)

Countering a torpedo after it has been launched -- that is at the
engagement stage of the combat cycle -- tends to be
a losing proposition.  Exactly the same reasons that close-in
EW systems intended to break a terminal homing missile off
don't work well either.  Critical to engagement-stage
countermeasures is detailed knowledge of the other guys'
targeting system.  First -- that requires GOOD intelligence
input at the HUMINT level -- overhead satellites can't do
that job.  Second -- it's easier for the missile/torpedo
designer to stay a jump or two ahead of the decoy/countermeasure
designer.  Hard lesson we're learning in SDI...

In this regard, the submariners, with the stealth inherent to
the environment, have a real advantage.  With battle groups,
the basic rules -- if you intend to be successful -- are the same.
One: don't get detected.  If the other guy doesn't know you are there,
he won't attack you.  Two: when detected, don't let him localize you
to enable successful engagement.  A general purpose good tactic to
consider at this situation is make it look like the ocean is full of you
and hope he attacks the wrong target or desides to conserve his
ammunition.

I've run a couple of these warfighting models, albeit in a surface,
EW scenario rather than a subsurface one.  When the next war breaks
out, buy stock in the companies that make chaff.

Rex Buddenberg
budden at manta.nosc.mil

maniac@garnet.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert) (09/02/89)

From: maniac@garnet.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert)
In article <27042@amdcad.AMD.COM> gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) writes:
>In a recent issue of _Defense News_, I saw a small article claiming that the
>Navy is planning to offer contracts for antitorpedo systems. Presumably these
>would be carried on board subs (since New London was listed as the project
>office) and used to somehow kill or spoof incoming torpedos.

The correct one is Kill...

	The US Navy has been running around like a chicken with its head cut
off since they realized that they didn't have any way to stop torpedos that
were incoming on both ships and subs.  It wasn't that anyone had thought it
possible before, but once they realized that it might be possible, they
immeiately decided it was necessary.

	Torpedo Decoy systems have been in use since late WWII and in the same
form: a underwater speaker playing ship propellor noise towed behind the ship,
hopefully distracting torpedos to home on it instead of Real ship.  Currnet
model is the 'Nixie' system, carried by just about everything in USN fleet.

	However, this is only good against 1 torp, and is no sure guarantee.
Also, the navy has overcome its institutional fear of Backfires with AS-4's,
and now thinks that the air threat to its carriers has been dealt with (by
systems like Aegis, F-14's, etc.) and the Navy wants to fix the next most
likely mode of carrier assasination.  Submarines with torpedos.

	The primary use of the system is going to be for surface ships
defending themselves.  It will probably be in the form of a anti-torpedo
torpedo.  Going with this idea has been a whole spectrum of ideas transfered
down from air and surface combat: Acoustic jamming, 'chaff' that blocks
sonar, and all sorts of similar little things.  The desired goal is that the
fleet in the year 2000 will be able to stop any underwater weapon it detects
with multiple layers of hard kill and soft kill (decoy/distract) methods.

Most of this has been in the USNI  _Proceedings_ magazine.  Look it up there
(over last ~2.5 yrs) for more details.

George William Herbert
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu, gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu