[sci.military] Acronym list

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (09/05/89)

From: shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov
Some readers, new to sci.military and/or to military acronyms, have
commented (complained, even) that there are too many acronyms and
jargon and they're having trouble reading the group (Tom Clancy's
books, too).

In a fit of either madness or supreme self-sacrifice, I'm volunteering
to make an acronym list for military topics.  Actually, there's a
certain amount of self-interest here, as I have trouble remembering if
MBT means Main Battle Tank or Milton-Bradley Toys.

This will be impossible without help from the rest of the group, so
please send me lists of acronyms in alphabetical order, in a form like:

   APC   armored personnel carrier
   BAOR  British army on the Rhine
   CAS   close air support
   FAC   forward air controller
   FEBA  forward edge of battle area
   MBT   main battle tank
   MRE   meal, ready to eat

I'd also like a list of nicknames, same form:

   aardvark           F-111 aircraft
   deuce-and-a-half   2-1/2 ton truck
   iron rhino         F-4 aircraft  (you _knew_ I'd have this one!)
   warthog            A-10 aircraft

Could someone who saved it send me the list of ship designations?

How about the list of services (i.e. RNZAF, RAAF, RAF, BA, RN, etc)?

Send as many as you can--it'll be a pain to get these one at a time.

I can't make any promises about when these lists will appear, because
I'll be doing them on my own time, but I'll tentatively try for early
October for the initial version.

Send your acronyms, nicknames, and designators to:

Mary Shafer   shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  arpa!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA
                    Of course I don't speak for NASA

ssheldon@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (Stuart Sheldon) (09/07/89)

From: ssheldon@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (Stuart Sheldon)

	[I think actually there's over 1,000,000 government
	acronyms, although not all are military.  Still, a list
	of the Abbreviations and jargon most commonly seen on
	sci.military would be useful for those to whom
	Milspeak isn't a second tongue.  -- CDR]

I have on my desk a Lexicon of Authenticated Systems and Logistics
Acronyms (LASLA).  It contains "4,150 acronyms extracted from
directives, regulations, and manuals of the Department of
Defense and its agencies."
It was compiled some time ago by the AFIT school of Systems and
Logistics.  It is hardly a complete list, and I certainly don't
want to type them all into a file to post.

Perhaps it would be better just to ask people to explain those
acronyms that you don't understand, or can't deduce.

          STANDARD AIR FORCE DISCLAIMER
   These views do not reflect the opinion of the government.
   If the government wanted my views, it would ask for them.

   Capt Stuart Sheldon
   AFIT/ENA Box 4209              (513) 255-6460
   WPAFB  OH 45433                AV785-6460
   ssheldon@galaxy.afit.af.mil    ssheldon@afit-ab.arpa

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (09/08/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>

Stuart Sheldon (ssheldon@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL) wrote:

>I have on my desk a Lexicon of Authenticated Systems and Logistics
>Acronyms (LASLA).  It contains "4,150 acronyms extracted from
>directives, regulations, and manuals of the Department of
>Defense and its agencies."

Only 4,150?  The AFTI/F-16 has more than that, singlehandedly.  :-)

>It was compiled some time ago by the AFIT school of Systems and
>Logistics.  It is hardly a complete list, and I certainly don't
>want to type them all into a file to post.

You didn't even want to type out "Air Force Institute of Technology."
Not everyone is familiar with AFIT.

>Perhaps it would be better just to ask people to explain those
>acronyms that you don't understand, or can't deduce.

By the time I've gotten the explanation back, I've forgotten or lost
the original message.  My time is limited and if I don't get it right
away, too bad.  (This applies to badly-written postings, too, but
these rarely appear in sci.military.)

Let me clarify things, in case someone else also missed the point
here.  I'm not looking for acronyms that used for three months on a
small part of an obscure program.  I'm not looking for acronyms used
only by insiders.  I'm looking for the biggies that we tend to use
without realizing that not everyone knows what they mean.  FEBA, CAS,
HARM, ALCM, SAM, USAFE, CINCPAC, NATOPS, NORAD, AFIT, TAC, SAC, ....

--

dye@laidbak.i88.isc.com (Ken R. Dye ) (09/09/89)

From: dye@laidbak.i88.isc.com (Ken R. Dye )

	The Navy has something called DICNAVAB (DICtionary of
NAVal ABbreviations, for those not in the know).
--
Ken R. Dye				an optimist is a guy
Lachman Associates, Inc. Chicago	that has never had