[sci.military] Chadian Armed Forces

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (09/12/89)

From: miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout)
In sci.military Digest  Fri, 8 Sep, 1989  Volume 2 : Issue 91
mwolf@vaxc.Teknowledge.COM (Michael Wolf) writes:

> I'd heard a story that sounds just plausable enough to be
> believed, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm.
>
> I've been told that Chad has mounted machine guns in the back
> of pickup trucks, and then taken them into combat as anti-tank
> weapons.  They drive them in circles around a tank just faster
> then the tank turret rotates, so the tank can't get a shot at
> them.
>
> True or not?

CHAD OUTRACED, OUTFOXED FOE
Used Toyotas, daring tactics to defeat Libyans

By James Brooke
New York Times [August 1987]

NDJAMENA, Chad -- Speed and agility helped Chad's lightly armed desert fighters
last week to rout 1,000 Libyan soldiers stationed in a disputed border strip.

In the first detailed accounts of the battle, Chadians and diplomats here
described how Chadian fighters destroyed a Libyan column of 300 men, then swept
into the village of Aozou through unexpected routes.

Expecting an attack from the south on the only road through the surrounding
Tibesti Mountains, the Libyans are said to have mined the road and then
defended it with cumbersome Soviet-made T-55 tanks.

But on Saturday morning, the Chadians annihilated a Libyan column about 40
miles southeast of Aozou, near Omchi, according to the account.  Then the
Chadians are said to have raced their Toyota light trucks through little-known
mountain passes, following dry river beds.

Their faces wrapped in cloth against the sand, the Chadians swept into Aozou
from the north and east, in a motorized version of the camel charges of their
forefathers.

"They just blew in real fast, hell-bent for leather--God help anything that got
in their way," one Western diplomat said Thursday.

In response, the Libyans have bombarded Aozou daily since their defeat.  On
Thursday, the Chadian radio announced that the bombing had burned a large part
of Aozou, a date-palm oasis that had a peacetime population of 2,000.

The Libyans are said to have lost 650 men, while Chadian losses were officially
put at 17 dead and 54 wounded.  Western diplomats here say that Chad accurately
reports Libyan casualties, but often understates its own.

On Thursday, Chadian officials announced that 147 Libyans were taken prisoner,
including 44 officers.

A few Libyan survivors are believed to have made it across 50 miles of desert
to Libya's last base in Chad, also called Aozou, which straddles the generally
recognized Libyan-Chadian border.  The survivors are believed to have joined
Libyan troops from Aozou base who tried to help their beleaguered comrades in
Aozou village.

On Thursday, the Chadians listed their Libyan war booty: 111 military vehicles
captured and 82 military vehicles destroyed.

Destroyed vehicles include 7 T-55 tanks, 8 BMP armored personnel carriers, 40
jeeps with missiles or cannon, 15 troop transports and 11 trucks.

"We know it's better to have a good Toyota than a T-55," said Ahmed Moussa-Mi,
chief of staff to President Hissen Habre.

Mounted with French-made Milan anti-tank missiles, the Toyota pickups have
proved to be the key to Chad's string of victories this year.

"The Toyotas move so fast that the Libyan gunners could not track them; they
could not move their turrets fast enough," the Western diplomat said.

The Chadians also made use of a dangerous tactic that few other armies would
dare to try.  Two Chadian vehicles would race toward a Libyan tank from
opposite directions, firing missiles.  In practice, a Chadian missile
occasionally has missed, blowing up one of Chad's own vehicles.

The Chadian army is largely made up of northerners, many of whom have an
intimate knowledge of the battlefield.  For example, the president, who has
planned many of the attacks in minute detail, wandered over much of the area in
his youth as a camel herder.

France is Chad's main arms supplier, giving by some estimates $70 million in
military aid so far this year.

France has also stationed troops and air units in southern Chad to keep the
Libyans, who once occupied much of the northern part of the country beyond the
disputed border strip, from moving south of the 16th parallel.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.