[sci.military] Knives

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (09/12/89)

From: miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout)
	[This was originally part of Mike's article on Chad's
	use of trucks vs. Libya; I split it into a separate
	article.  Everyone please note that these messages get
	turned into a digest as well as posted to the
	newsgroup, and its very helpful if you keep one topic
	to each message. --CDR]

random@nwgpb.att.com (Dave L Pope) writes:
> I once saw a movie involving a stealthy infiltration of a guarded
> compound, and a large serrated edge knife was used in one scene
> to stab a sentry walking on the other side of a 4' high (or so)
> wall and, with a twist and a yank, jerk the body over the barrier.
> It seems that similar applications could help in game-getting,
> climbing, etc. Of course I have NO combat experience so this plan
> may be totally unworkable.

The problem with this is that while the knife may indeed allow you a good grip
on the victim's body, it doesn't gain you anything in your ability to
physically move the body.  This is equivalent to picking up a 150-200 pound
sack of sand and flinging it over the barrier.  While I'm sure that there are
many covert warfare types that are quite capable of doing this (you know, the
guys whose biceps are as big around as a normal person's waist), the problem
is in moving the body, not just getting a grip on it.  You could just as
easily grab the guy's collar, jacket, or whatever in your attempt to lift him
up.  The ideal seems like one hand on his collar and one hand grasping the
knife (which you have buried in his back); still, in order to do this
successfully you need to look something like Arnold Swartzenegger.  There's
nothing special about that knife, other than its ability to "dig in" and get a
good grip.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.