[sci.military] Falkland Islands war

nelson_p@apollo.com (07/12/89)

From: nelson_p@apollo.com

 Submission to sci.military  (thanks in advance):

  I'm interested in books on two military subjects:

  What books can people recommend on the early days of
  the WWII in the Pacific?  I'm interested in the period
  prior to Guadalcanal.   Emphasis on equipment and tactics.

  What are some good books on the Falkland Islands War?   I'm
  interested in books that stress the tactics and equipment
  that were in use there;  I'm not interested in the political
  or historical issues involved.

 Thank you in advance.
                                         ---Peter

  PS-  Related to the first subject, here's something I've
       always wondered about:  The Dutch had naval and land
       forces in the area around Indonesia at the time of
       the Japanese invasion.  But Holland was occupied by
       the NAZIs at the time and the NAZIs were friendly
       with Japan.  What was the disposition of these Dutch
       forces?  With their home country occupied how were they
       supplied, equipped and even paid?  Who determined their
       strategy and goals?

jp@doc.ic.ac.uk (John Precedo) (07/15/89)

From: John Precedo <jp@doc.ic.ac.uk>

Here are a list of the books that I have come across about the Falklands War.
Some are good, some are not so good.

GENERAL BOOKS
(to get a "feel" of the war, mostly personal accounts)
Don't Cry For Me Sergeant-Major - Robert McGowan and Jeremy Hands
Above All Courage - Max Arthur
When The Fighting Is Over - John Lawrence and Robert Lawrence,MC
  (filmed as the BBC TV play "Tumbledown" - very evocative - see it if you can)

MISC.
Weapons Of The Falklands Conflict - Bryan Perry
  (Very generalised, and not as good as any encylopeadia of modern weapons,
but a good starting point)
Battles Of The Falklands War - Gordon Smith
  (Lots of maps and lists of units)

MILITARY HISTORIES
Task Force-The Falklands War,1982 - Martin Middlebrook
The Battle For The Falklands - Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins
The British Army In The Falklands,1982 - HMSO
Falklands Commando - ??? <------ (Damn, I can't remember the author! Sorry)
(follow one unit)

The Land That Lost Its Heroes-The Falklands,The Postwar And Alphonsin -
  Jimmy Burns
  (More Socio-Political, but worth including for the balance, it's from the
Argentine side)

Now for a request - if anyone out there can provide unit lists for the
Argentine units please post or e-mail me. I can't find anything in detail
for "the enemy", lots of units lists and equipment lists for the British
but the Argentine units lists are a lot more vague. Oh well!

Hope this was of some use!
      -John

John Precedo						JANET:jp@doc.ic.ac.uk
Dept. of Computing,
Huxley Building,       This system goes up and down like a whore's drawers!
Imperial College,     "We don't have tape-drives around here,son. They're
London SW7	              vicious tape-eating machines."

jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Jeff Berkowitz) (07/17/89)

From: Jeff Berkowitz <jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

In article <8172@cbnews.ATT.COM> nelson_p@apollo.com writes:

>From: nelson_p@apollo.com
>
>  What are some good books on the Falkland Islands War?

I own numbers 134 and 135 from the "Men-at-Arms" series:

	"Battle for the Falklands (2) Naval Forces"
	    Text by Adrian English and Anthony Watts
	"Battle for the Falklands (3) Air Forces"
	    Text by Roy Braybrook

These are published by Osprey of Londen, edited by Martin Windrow.
I don't recall where I found them.  Each is soft cover and about 40
pages in length.  They contain fairly detailed operational descriptions
and numerous photographs, some in color.  They lack table of contents
AND index, being organized as chronological narratives.

I found one tidbit particularly interesting.  The task force faced a
shortage of Sea Harriers, so RAF GR.3 Harriers were hurriedly converted
for sea duty.  Their Ferranti FE541 inertial navigation systems could
not be aligned on a moving deck (the Sea Harrier had been designed with
a completely different system).  Replacement of the aircraft equipment
in the required time frame was impossible, so Ferranti produced a trolley
mounted inertial platform "to act as an on-the-deck reference".  This
equipment was apparently produced in response to the need, and therefore
under enormous time pressure.  The book states that final software for
the calibration system was transmitted to the Hermes by satellite after
the task force was already at sea!

If anyone is aware of other details about this incident, I'd love to
hear them.  It's this type of thing that wins, IMHO.
--
Jeff Berkowitz N6QOM			uunet!sequent!jjb
Sequent Computer Systems		Custom Systems Group

jp@doc.imperial.ac.uk (John Precedo) (07/20/89)

From: John Precedo <jp@doc.imperial.ac.uk>

[...]

Argentine units please post on e-mail me. I can't find anything in detail

adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK (Adrian Hurt) (07/27/89)

From: Adrian Hurt <adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>

I have not yet seen "I Counted Them All Out, I Counted Them All Back" by Brian
Hanrahan, listed here yet. Brian Hanrahan was one of the BBC reporters who went
with the Task Force, and this book contains his reports as well as interviews
with some of the people involved.

 "Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>  What are some good books on the Falkland Islands War?   I'm
>  interested in books that stress the tactics and equipment...

Ethell & Price's "Air War South Atlantic" is head-and-shoulders above all
the others when it comes to air (and anti-air) tactics and equipment, and
has interesting tidbits about other matters.  I don't know of anything
really comparable for ground and naval activity, but it's not an area
I've watched closely.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

royf@cs.utexas.edu (Roy Forsstrom) (09/12/89)

From: pwcs!royf@cs.utexas.edu (Roy Forsstrom)

In article <8272@cbnews.ATT.COM> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>  What are some good books on the Falkland Islands War?   I'm
>>  interested in books that stress the tactics and equipment...
>
>has interesting tidbits about other matters.  I don't know of anything
>really comparable for ground and naval activity, but it's not an area

The USMC professional reading list, of which I did get a paper copy through
the net, lists two books concerning the Falklands.

1. The Battle for the Falklands, by M. Hastings
2. Seapower in the Falklands, by C.W. Koburger

Both are listed in the "seapower" subject headings. The Koburger book
is on the list for Colonels and  Hastings is on the Captain list.

I think I read the Hastings book some years ago, if he is a journalist
who traveled with the Royal Marines. It was a good book.

-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Roy Forsstrom 612-298-5569         |   What are the Rights of Man and the
Public Works Computer Services     |   Liberties of the World but Loose-Fish?
pwcs!royf  royf@pwcs.StPaul.GOV    |         - Moby Dick
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (09/13/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>
>>  What are some good books on the Falkland Islands War?I'm
>>  interested in books that stress the tactics and equipment...

Ethell and Price--Air War: South Atlantic (or some such title)
An exceptionally good, narrative-like book.  I think it may be
out of print, but look for it.

For air combat aficionados I also recommend "One Day in a Long War"
(same authors).  It's about the single busiest air action day in the
Vietnam war--May 12, 1972?  The day that Cunningham got numbers 3, 4,
and 5 and got shot down and Ritchie got his first.  This is a new
book, just out.

rkaufman@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Roger Kaufman) (09/17/89)

From: rkaufman@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Roger Kaufman)

>In article <8272@cbnews.ATT.COM> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>>  What are some good books on the Falkland Islands War?   I'm

There is a pretty good video that I have rented from the local video
store.  It covers the Falklands war from beginning to end thru film
footage shot by military photographers as well as news photogs.