[sci.military] Fighter "Maneuverability" vs. "Performance"

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (09/15/89)

From: miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout)

And craig@june.cs.washington.edu (Craig S. Anderson) writes:
> If a pilot has a maneuverable aircraft, he can gain a positional advantage
> on an enemy aircraft in order to use shorter range weapons, like infra-red
> (IR) missiles or cannon (assuming the enemy is close enough).

All of the above were in reply to the original question of why our planes have
to be so maneuverable in this age of high-performance missiles.  All the
replies were good responses, pointing out various problems with missiles and
certain combat situations, and taken together show how dangerous it is to rely
solely upon high-performance missiles (despite current USAF efforts to the
contrary).

Yet I think there is one point that all the above failed to make, and thereby a
certain amount of confusion may result.  The point is that MANEUVERABILITY, by
its strict definition, is really NOT important in air combat.  Perhaps what the
original questioner was referring to was really PERFORMANCE, not
maneuverability.  The two are not the same.  A strict definition of
maneuverability is the ability to change direction.  Performance includes
far more, and an airplane with good performance does not necessarily have good
maneuverability.  Consider the following two points:

1.  80% of all airplanes that are shot down by other airplanes never detect
    their attackers.  They never know what hits them.  Regardless of whether
    the attacking plane uses missiles or guns, in these cases the attacker's
    maneuverability is irrelevant.  The important factors for the attacker are
    speed, firepower, and (most important) crew quality.  In only 20% of cases
    are both airplanes "fighting" each other, and only then does
    maneuverability come into play.  This 80%-20% ratio has held fairly
    constant from World War I up to the present.

2.  There are two wars we can validly study for this purpose: World War I and
    World War II.  Both these wars had relatively equal crew quality and
    comparable levels of aircraft quality and production for the various
    adversaries.  And most importantly, both lasted long enough, and both
    involved such total national committments, that many aircraft appeared
    before the wars ended that had been designed DURING the war, and thus
    reflected the lessons of those wars.  And in both wars, most nations
    entered the conflicts with highly maneuverable planes--yet during the wars
    switched to planes that were far less maneuverable.  As each war went on,
    the emphasis switched from maneuverability to speed and firepower.

In air combat, speed is life, because stored energy gained by speed can be
transferred into whatever maneuver you want.  This is why the "unmaneuverable"
F-4 Phantom can actually be a good dogfighter if it has a good crew--the
Phantom's superior energy (ironically, a factor of its high weight traveling
at high speed) can be transferred into maneuvers comparable to those of planes
with more maneuverability but less energy.

But, in fact, the best fighter pilots avoid dogfights whenever possible.  There
are too many variables in a dogfight.  The more you turn, the more energy
you lose.  The faster you go, the less you can turn.  The object is to attack
unsuspecting enemy planes (remember the 80% figure) so ruthlessly that they are
destroyed before they can react.  The best way to do this is to approach them
at high speed (preferably in a dive), hit them as hard as possible, and get
away fast, keeping your speed (and therefore energy) as high as possible.
Again, this has been the case ever since World War I.

Consider two notable fighters of World War II--the Gloster Gladiator and the
Me 262.  Although these planes never met in combat, they represent opposite
extremes of fighter philosophy.  The Gladiator's maneuverability, it being a
biplane, was infinitely superior to that of the Me 262.  In a standard, tight,
close-in dogfight, the Gladiator would eventually chew the Me 262 to pieces,
despite the Gladiator's weak firepower.  The problem is that no Me 262 pilot
is going to get into a dogfight with a Gladiator.  He's going to blast right
by it with his jet-propelled 250-mph speed advantage, blowing the Gladiator to
atoms with his powerful cannons as he goes by.  (As an aside, during the Korean
War two US jet fighters were shot down by North Korean biplanes, when the US
pilots made the mistake of getting into dogfights with the pokey but highly
maneuverable biplanes.)

Note the Gladiator comes from a pre-war 1930s philosophy, while the Me 262 was
developed under the pressures of real war.  If you don't like such extremes,
consider four important nations of World War II who began the war with highly
maneuverable fighters and switched to faster, less maneuverable planes.  The
United Kingdom began with the Hurricane and Spitfire and ended with the Tempest
and Typhoon.  The USSR began with the I-16 and MiG-3 and ended with the Yak-3
and La-9.  Japan started with the Hayabusa and Zero and ended with the Hayate
and Shiden.  And Italy started with the C.R. 42 and Freccia and ended with the
Sagittario and Veltro.  In all the above cases, the earlier planes could greatly
outmaneuver the newer models.  The later planes tended to be big, heavy
"hot rods" with tremendous firepower, but poor maneuverability.  [Two other
important nations don't really fit here, as neither ever emphasized
maneuverability, even in the early part of the war.  The USA emphasized heavy
airplanes that could take lots of damage (which later was easily changed to an
emphasis upon high horsepower with corresponding high speed), while Germany
emphasized speed, firepower, and innovative tactics.]  Similar trends can be
seen in WWI (Sopwith Pup replaced by Sopwith Snipe, Nieuport 17 replaced by
SPAD XIII, Albatros D.III replaced by Fokker D.VII).

The basic point is that good maneuverability is great for defense--but air
combat is decided by OFFENSE.  If your airplane's sole virtue is superior
maneuverability, you're going to be reduced to reacting to whatever your enemy
does--assuming you're one of the lucky 20% who detects the enemy coming at you.
You'll never be able to dictate the terms of the fight, like the guy with the
superior energy can do.  About all you'll be able to dictate is which part of
your airplane gets blown off.

It's true that history shows many cases where highly maneuverable planes came
as a nasty shock to their adversaries.  Among these were the Fokker Dr.I,
Spitfire, Zero, and various MiG jets, all of which had a tremendous
maneuverability advantage over their opponents.  Yet ways to deal with this
advantage were developed, and by the end of their wars these planes were either
no longer produced or were easily defeated.

Speaking of MiG jets, there's been an interesting trend in Soviet fighter
design.  The earliest Soviet jets, such as the MiG-15 and MiG-17, were
extremely light, maneuverabile planes, but with powerful armament.  The next
generation, including the MiG-19, MiG-21, and Su-9/11/15, were slightly
heavier but had much more powerful engines, keeping a maneuverability level far
superior to that of Western planes.  Then the Soviets seemed to begin changing
to Western-style aircraft that were big and heavy with poor maneuverability.
These designs included the MiG-23 and the fast but bulky MiG-25, one of the
least maneuverable fighters in history (designed, at any rate, to shoot down
the B-70).  A little before this the Soviets produced the biggest fighter in
history, the monster Tu-28.  Now they seem to be emphasizing maneuverability
again, although their new designs (MiG-29 and Su-27) are very similar in weight
and performance to superb US planes like the F-15 and F-16.  And the unwieldy
MiG-25 has been resurrected in a two-seat anti-cruise missile version named the
MiG-31.

Re-examining the original question, there's a certain irony in that US planes
have never been thought of as being particularly maneuverable.  US fighter
pilots were able to get around this just fine in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam.
Nevertheless, the Viet Nam war resulted in a lot of complaints about how US
planes tended to be big, heavy, complex, and expensive, while Soviet-built
planes tended to be small, simple, cheap, and light (and therefore highly
maneuverable).  Since then, US design has paid a little more attention to
keeping planes light and maneuverable.  Heavy planes like the F-14 seem to be
less in favor, while the F-16 seems to be well thought of as a trend for the
future.  The F-16 represents one of the USA's most impressive committments to
light, maneuverable design, although the expected Military-Industrial Complex
syndrome is continually hanging more bells and whistles on the plane.  Still,
it appears that at least some consideration to maneuverability will be a part
of future designs.  Recent advances in engine output give thrust that exceeds
the weight of the plane (F-15, F-16, F-18, MiG-29, Su-27, Rafale, Gripen).  This
provides outstanding performance across the board (not just great
maneuverability), giving the fighter pilot a superb weapons platform that he
can use for a wide variety of tactics.  This is why I think the original
questioner really is referring to overall aircraft performance, rather than
just the strict definition of "maneuverability".

In closing, I'd like to repeat something I've said before in this forum: air
crew quality is about ten times more important than aircraft quality.  We can
discuss airplane maneuverability, performance, and whatnot from now until the
cows come home, but it all has little impact in real situations.  What we
really should be comparing is things like aircrew training, motivation,
organization, and ability; those are the criteria that REALLY matter.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mmm@cup.portal.com (09/17/89)

From: mmm@cup.portal.com
miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) says:
> Recent advances in engine output give thrust that exceeds
> the weight of the plane (F-15, F-16, F-18, MiG-29, Su-27, Rafale, Gripen).

What are the "recent advances"?  Could someone please summarize and comment.

BTW, I saw on TV some video of the assembly of a cruise missile.  One of the
technicians was carrying around the engine for the missile.  The turbine
looked to be about 2 1/2 feet in diameter.  What was surprising was the
weight.  From the way the guy was holding it, I would guess this engine
weighs about 25 pounds.

gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (09/19/89)

From: gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
In article <27295@amdcad.AMD.COM> mmm@cup.portal.com writes:
>What are the "recent advances"?  Could someone please summarize and comment.

	Engines with a 10-1 thrust/wt ratio, and better for the next
generation (ATF).

>BTW, I saw on TV some video of the assembly of a cruise missile.  One of the
>technicians was carrying around the engine for the missile.  The turbine
>looked to be about 2 1/2 feet in diameter.  What was surprising was the
>weight.  From the way the guy was holding it, I would guess this engine
>weighs about 25 pounds.

	The ENTIRE missile is less than two feet in diameter.
The actual engine is (about) 12" in diameter and between 24" and 30"
long.  It's a turbojet, can be bought in a derated form from (I
believe) Williams Intl.  for general aviation use.