[sci.military] Phoenix Reliability

werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (09/17/89)

From: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
> Phoenix. The electronics work, so practice would be unnecessary.

hmmm, George, what was I watching then in yesterday's TV-news
on all major networks?  That unreliable parts have been used in
practically all missile systems, but especially the Phoenix,
raising doubts that they are useful at all.

This after a failed Phoenix test finally led to persistent
probing which revealed that the part in question was reported
to be unreliable and lacking quality ensurance tests since 1985.

Go figure ....

gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (09/19/89)

From: gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
In article <27305@amdcad.AMD.COM> werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>hmmm, George, what was I watching then in yesterday's TV-news
>on all major networks?  That unreliable parts have been used in
>practically all missile systems, but especially the Phoenix,
>raising doubts that they are useful at all.
>
>This after a failed Phoenix test finally led to persistent
>probing which revealed that the part in question was reported
>to be unreliable and lacking quality ensurance tests since 1985.
>
>Go figure ....

	These missiles have been hitting targets in testing since they
were first made.  I think that the part's unreliability is being blown
all out of porportion by the media.

[ed.  there may be a similar other aricle by me on the way or there.  I had a
system prolbem.  ignore one it there are two...]