[sci.military] DSP/Rhyolite SUMMARY

nickw%syma.sussex.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (Nick Watkins) (09/24/89)

From: Nick Watkins <nickw%syma.sussex.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>

> [ ... Followups by mail, please, and I hope Mr. Watkins will send
>      a summary of responses to the group. --CDR]

 Here is the summary:

> I am researching an article, provisionally for "New Scientist", on
> military satellites and have a few queries about the DSP and
> Rhyolite/Chalet series of spacecraft. From the work of Des Ball (the
> books "Pine Gap" & "A Base for Debate"), plus recent issues of AW&ST
> (i.e. all unclassified sources) I have the following list:

> 1968-63a  6 Aug  1968 AAD  Early Warning Test (Project 949)
> 1969-36a  13 Apr 1969 AAD  Early Warning Test
> 1970-46a  19 Jun 1970 AAD  Rhyolite SIGINT
> 1970-69a  1  Sep 1970 AAD  Early warning Test

> 1) Which of 1970-46 or 1970-69 was more likely to be a Rhyolite? Ball is
> certain that one was.
> Although the former was often cited as having failed to go into GEO, the
> reports at the time in AW&ST were contradictory and various sources list
> a GEO not GTO. The launcher for both was occasionally described as an Atlas
> Agena D plus a kick stage, anyone know anything about this?

It seems that 70-46 has to be a Rhyolite, on account of the
prevarication about its orbit. What 70-69 was is not really known, IMHO.
Launcher was probably just an Atlas Agena D but Rhyolite would have had to
carry its own apogee motor if the Agena did not circularise the GEO.

> 1975-55a  18 Jun 1975  AAD Argus  SIGINT

This was corrected since its earlier posting to sci.space. I had thought
it was a T3C launch, but apparently Patrick AFB, and General Dynamics
(who make the Atlas), confirm this was an Atlas Agena D.

> 1984-09a  31 Jan 1984  T34D DSP11 (failed?)
> 1984-37a  15 Apr 1984  T34D DSP12
> 1984-129a 22 Dec 1984  T34D Chalet SIGINT
> 1985-10b  24 Jan 1985  STS  Magnum SIGINT

> 2) Of the launches in 1984, did DSP11 fail to reach GEO as reported by
> Ball, and are the identifications of it, DSP12 and the fourth Chalet
> (1984-129) correct and in the right order?

The order is more likely to be Chalet, DSP 11, DSP 12, Magnum. There is
no real reason to believe that 1984-09a failed to reach GEO. The orbit
filed with the UN is probably just a parking orbit.

> AAD = Atlas Agena D
> T3C = Titan 3C
> T34D = Titan 34D
> STS = Space Shuttle

Many thanks to all those who took the trouble to reply. Followups by email
or to sci.space.

Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND
JANET: nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: nickw%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac