[sci.military] XB 70

nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (09/22/89)

From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)
>From: David R. Kohr <drk@MIT.EDU>
>A friend of mine recently saw one of the prototype models of the XB-70
>strategic bomber at an aviation museum in Dayton, Ohio.  He said it
>was a huge thing, with 6 big engines on the wings, and that it looked a
>lot like the Concorde.

I can asure you that the XB70 has six (6) engines; however, they are
not beneath the wings -- the intakes are beneath the fuselage at the
wing-roots -- the engines are behind the intakes. You could say that
the XB70 supercedes the B-2 -- it superceded the B-1/B-1B also. It
was designed in the early to mid-60's as the B-52 was only designed
to get us through the sixties (the B-52 is 30+ years old.....and
still kicking). Sorry, but I can't give any other info without
going through my books.

--
Mark Aldo                                      (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo

[Its not wise to start your signature with the word From. --CDR]

cdr@amdcad.AMD.COM (Carl Rigney) (09/29/89)

From: uunet!amperif!dan (Dan Mehlhorn)
Regarding the XB 70's engines, YJ-93-GE-3, there is one on display at the
Strategic Air Command museum in Bellevue, NE.  It was designed to be on
continuous afterburner.  Six of these engines were supposed to give the
XB 70 a speed of ~1900 mph.

For anyone's interest, the SAC museum is open year around, containing artifacts,
displays, simulators, and aircraft used by SAC.  The aircraft are parked on
an abandoned stretch of runway from Offutt AFB.  Sept. 23, they had the
(some of) planes open for public inspection.  The Confererate Air Force had
some members act as guides within the planes.  There was a reunion of a
glider pilots unit in town.  Many were at the museum showing their families
planes they were familiar with (the C 47 and a couple of light observation
planes (OV 3 and OV 5 I think)).  Also, open was a B 36, B 17, F 86, and
others.  The British Vulcan and a B 52D were not opened to the public.
They also have obsolete missiles from the SAC inventory including pieces of
that missle that blew up in Arkansas a few years ago on display.
The Titan I they had on diaplay was damaged by recent high winds.  I can get
more information on the museum, if anyone is interested.

--
Every child deserves a home of his own. - Harry Holt
Dan Mehlhorn    uucp: dan@amperif.uucp