[sci.military] Sub glasses

aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (09/26/89)

From: aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki)
This is kind of a bizarre request, but here goes ..

US submariners are issued different glasses than most Navy personnel --
very expensive gold-rimmed John Lennon jobs (the American Optical Sampson
P-3).

The point of this is that these glasses can be worn inside of a breathing
apparatus in case of emergency.  This is usually an air-hose mask (EAB?
EBA?), but I've also heard that it will fit inside of an OBA (oxygen
breathing apparatus) mask.  The OBA is a chest-pack version of the "oxygen
candle" (chemical oxygen generator) that is most often used in fighting
fires.

I know there are ex-submarine folks out there.  Will these things fit
inside of OBAs?

--
Paul M. Aoki		aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU	     uunet!ucbvax!aoki

jallred@BBN.COM (John Allred) (09/28/89)

From: John Allred <jallred@BBN.COM>

In article <27487@amdcad.AMD.COM> aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
>US submariners are issued different glasses than most Navy personnel --
>very expensive gold-rimmed John Lennon jobs (the American Optical Sampson
>P-3).
>
>I know there are ex-submarine folks out there.  Will these things fit
>inside of OBAs?

The masks for EBAs and OBAs are similar, so I think so, but I'm not sure.  The
primary issue is whether the seal on the OBA mask can tolerate the earpieces
of the submariner's glasses.

The Submarine Force goes one better -- for all of us that get to look
out the periscope (OODs, Conning Officers, QMs), the Navy actually fits us
with contact lenses.

____
John Allred
BBN Advanced Simulation
(jallred@bbn.com)

cdr@amdcad.AMD.COM (Carl Rigney) (09/30/89)

From: ucbvax!ucsd!uw-beaver!seahcx!phred!stevel (Steve Leach)
I spent 6 years in the Navy, 73 to 79. After boot training and
both A B and C schools was assigned to the SSBN 599 Gold crew
to serve out my enlistment.  To answer your question Yes the
gold rimmed glasses do work fine in both EBA's and OBA's.
Altho they are not issued as a matter of course to all wearers
of glasses.  But rather it seemed to be up to the skipper if he will
authorize it.  You needed both a willing and determined corpsman and
a skipper willing to spend part of his budget to get them.  Having
served under three skippers and two corpsman, the first skipper and
corpsman no luck, the second skipper and first corpsman no luck,
the second skipper and second corpsman got me the glasses, the third
skipper and second corpsman again no luck.  So some get them some don't
This is probably more that you wanted.  Enjoy.
--

Return to sender:
uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!stevel

royf%pwcs@uunet.UU.NET (Roy Forsstrom) (10/03/89)

From: amdcad!royf%pwcs@uunet.UU.NET (Roy Forsstrom)

In article <27487@amdcad.AMD.COM> aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:

>From: aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki)
>This is kind of a bizarre request, but here goes ..
>
>US submariners are issued different glasses than most Navy personnel --
>very expensive gold-rimmed John Lennon jobs (the American Optical Sampson
>P-3).

Unless they just started this, there aren't any rules on what type of glasses
one wears in the navy. *IF* you get free glasses from the clinic you can get
either the black rimmed type or wire rim.

>The point of this is that these glasses can be worn inside of a breathing
>apparatus in case of emergency.  This is usually an air-hose mask (EAB?
>EBA?), but I've also heard that it will fit inside of an OBA (oxygen
>breathing apparatus) mask.  The OBA is a chest-pack version of the "oxygen
>candle" (chemical oxygen generator) that is most often used in fighting
>fires.

This is the same reason the navy gives for not allowing beards. BUT as soon
as Reagan came into office, beards were not "clean-cut and uniform looking"
so they were outlawed.

-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Roy Forsstrom 612-298-5569         |  Traveling makes one modest. You see
Public Works Computer Services     |  what tiny place you occupy in the world.
pwcs!royf  royf@pwcs.StPaul.GOV    |         -Flaubert
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

ron@hpfcmgw.hp.com (Ron Miller) (10/11/89)

From: hplabs!ron@hpfcmgw.hp.com (Ron Miller)

Re: EAB glasses

In 1981 they were issuing small wire-rimmed glasses that had a small
distance from corner to corner and very small wire temples.

In 1983 they changed to "Rocky Racoon Goggles" which are really
US Divers scuba glasses. They look like plain black plastic "nerd glasses"
except instead of earpieces they use a rubber-band headstrap which is
very thin at the temples. They look like hell but work real fine
in a scuba mask :-)))

I don't know what they use now.

I wore my racoon goggles dangling around my neck and wore my regular
glasses. When SUBLANT (admiral) asked my why I told him they were
uncomfortable and abnormal.

Ron Miller
ex-Lt USN  SSN-693

aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (10/11/89)

From: aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki)
Thank you to those who posted or mailed replies!  (Isn't USENET great?
No matter what the question is, *someone* out there can answer it ..)
In case anyone else cares, the bottom line appears to be that the wire
frame glasses fit in OBAs and EABs (but not the Mk 5 gas masks).

>From: amdcad!royf%pwcs@uunet.UU.NET (Roy Forsstrom)
>>From: aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki)
>>US submariners are issued different glasses than most Navy personnel --
>>very expensive gold-rimmed John Lennon jobs (the American Optical Sampson
>>P-3).
>>
>Unless they just started this, there aren't any rules on what type of glasses
>one wears in the navy. *IF* you get free glasses from the clinic you can get
>either the black rimmed type or wire rim.

Notice that I said "issued" .. the P-3 is only issued to bubbleheads
(and a few crafty surface nucs), and evidently even they don't
automatically get them.  At $120 (retail) each, I believe it.

The old black BC frames were recently replaced by even uglier brown
"BC Mk 2" frames.  (For those not in on the joke: "BC" stands for
"birth control" -- there's no way any member of the appropriate sex
will engage in mumble mumble with anyone wearing them.)
--
Paul M. Aoki		aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU	     uunet!ucbvax!aoki