[sci.military] Caves, military use of

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/03/89)

From: jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett)
[ Feed the terrorists to the lineeater]

     Since I have noticed at least posters in this newsgroup from Israel, I
thought that this would be a good place to ask the following questions.

     I have seen reports in the press that, during the Israeli "invasion"/
"police action"/"Peace for Gallilee"/whatever in Lebanon, the IDF discovered
huge cave(s) in which the Soviets had stockpiled huge quantities of weapons.
Unfortunately, I have seen very few details about this in the American press.
I've read that the cave(s) had underwater access to the sea and had enough
equipment to outfit from 1.5 to 3 divisions.  Does anyone out there have more
and better details?
     It would be interesting to know what kinds of equipment was found and
in what quantities.  Did Israel know about the cave(s) before the invasion?
Was this the real reason for the operation?  Did the US know?  (I read that the
US did NOT know about it, but was that true?)  What kind of cave(s) were they.
Were they natural, man-made, or both?  How big were they?  Etc.
     What about caves in other areas of military significance?  Germany?
Central America?  The USSR?  Etc.???  We've read about the Viet Cong's use of
caves in Vietnam, what other historical battles involved the use of caves?

     Is that enough questions?

                                        Jim Pritchett

                                        UUCP:  {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp

cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg) (10/05/89)

From: cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg)

In article <9867@cbnews.ATT.COM> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>     What about caves in other areas of military significance?  Germany?
>Central America?  The USSR?  Etc.???  We've read about the Viet Cong's use of
>caves in Vietnam, what other historical battles involved the use of caves?

Don't know about the Israeli caves, but the North Koreans must be the
cave masters on the world.  They regularly dig huge tunnels under the DMZ.
Some are big enough for a tank division to roll through.  Additionally
(according to the book _Red Phoenix_ anyway), they have airports built in
caves.

Chris Perleberg
cperlebe@encad.wichita.ncr.com

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (10/10/89)

From: BACS Data Communications Group <commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>

>     What about caves ... of military significance?  Germany? Central
>America?  The USSR?  Etc.???  We've read about the Viet Cong's use of
>caves in Vietnam, what other historical battles involved the use of
>caves?
>
>Jim Pritchett    UUCP:  {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp

I'm also interested in military uses of caves, being a caver (those
not in the know call them spelunkers) and member of the National
Speleological Society (NSS).

Natural caves and other holes in the ground have probably always been
used as expedient shelters and storage places during war, even before
the advent of explosives. The obvious disadvantage of doing so is the
risk of getting trapped by the enemy in a cave with only one entrance.
Unlike mines and tunnels, most natural caves are extremely stable
structures; they have been there for a LONG time.  Collapsing a
typical limestone cave would require uneconomical quantities of
explosives, or a direct hit with a very large delay-fuzed armor-
piercing bomb.

Most natural caves are wet, muddy, have low ceilings, and are
inconveniently located.  The damp cave environment is usually
unsuitable for long-term storage.  The temperature inside most caves
is equal to the average outside temperature of the region.  Cool
spring-caves have been used for food storage in peace and war,
including the American Civil War.

Some trenches of WW I had extensive underground chambers, as did the
Maginot Line.  In the trench warfare of the Civil War and WW I,
tunnels were dug under enemy lines and filled with explosives. The
enemy lines were blown up, followed by massive surface attacks.
Troops who dig tunnels are called sappers.

Mammoth Cave, Kentucky (now a national park) was mined for saltpeter
for making gunpowder for the War of 1812. (Calcium nitrate is leached
from cave dirt; the boiled, concentrated solution is mixed with wood
ashes to convert the calcium nitrate to potassium nitrate.  Calcium
nitrate is unsuitable for making gunpowder because it is very
hygroscopic.)

The Confederacy also mined natural caves for saltpeter during the
Civil War when the Northern blockade prevented its importation.  Many
old saltpeter workings can still be found in limestone caves in
southern states.  Many southern caves contain Civil War signatures,
including dates and unit numbers. Some caver/historians have
specialized in researching them. There was action at a major CSA
saltpeter works in a Tennessee cave--  Union forces quietly surrounded
the back entrance, then attacked the front entrance.  The fleeing
rebels were killed as they emerged.

An Austrian  caver gave a presentation at an NSS convention about
artificial caves in Austria and other European countries.  Some are
hand-dug hideouts used to hide from invaders in medieval times (dated
by pottery fragments found therein). They are often found under very
old farmhouses. (You couldn't call the cops back then, and if you did,
they might be as dangerous as the invaders.)  These "caves" rarely
exceed 100 feet total length but may be rather complex.  One had a
mushroom-shaped chamber above the main tunnel, with a very narrow
'stem'. Such a position could easily be defended by a child with a
club.

Old castles really do have tunnels underneath, now sought and explored
by modern cavers.  Ancient tunnels through solid rock were dug by
slave hand-labor; fires were built against the face, then cold water
was thrown on the rock, causing it to break.  Fumes from the fires
caused a high death rate among the diggers.  Modern cavers sometimes
use propane torches to break rocks when explosives are inadvisable or
unavailable.

The medieval Austrian tunnels appear to be in loess, a type of soil
which is well-suited for tunnelling. The same type of soil occurs in
American prairie states.  Pioneers' dugouts can still be found in the
banks of the Missouri River.

See also _The Great Escape_ by Paul Brickhill (also a movie), which
contains detailed descriptions of how Allied airmen tunnelled out of
German POW camps.

The Nazis used underground factories to build ME-262's, V-2's and
other high-priority weapons. Russian occupation forces in Austria
stripped the tunnels of all metal objects after the war. They
detonated explosives in some tunnels, but found them stronger than
expected.  The tunnels are lined with concrete. Some of the ceilings
are 40 feet high, and have soda-straw stalactites 10 feet long.

Today, few people know exactly what the Nazi tunnels were used for.
They were dug by slave labor, among whom it is said that there were
3000 deaths per year per tunnel. Others claim the number is far lower;
my friend notes that it is extremely difficult to do historical
research on WW II in Austria and Germany because both left and right
political factions prefer not to have their traditional propaganda
disproved.

Enormous complexes of bomb shelters were dug in Europe during WW II.
Some countries (notably Switzerland) still maintain them in usable
condition; others have been abandoned.

The Rock of Gibraltar is honeycombed with artificial caves which house
military installations.

Old European cities have networks of tunnels (sewers, hideouts,
storage chambers, etc.) dating from ancient times, whose whereabouts
are unknown to present city governments.  In a city in GDR (East
Germany) which must remain nameless, cavers found a rusty iron door on
the river bank, overgrown with weeds.  One of their group was a
locksmith, who picked the lock and made a key.  Inside, they found an
extensive network of tunnels, and unspecified "treasure" which was
hidden there during WW II, then forgotten when the city was bombed
flat and most of the inhabitants were killed.  It's top secret because
getting caught in there means a one-way ticket to Siberia:  GDR has a
law against going underground, enacted to discourage tunneling under
the Berlin Wall.  Literally interpreted, it is illegal to go to one's
basement for a bottle of beer.  The GDR government strongly encourages
sports, however, and there are organized caving clubs whose activities
are scrutinized and regulated.

Cave locations are state secrets in Communist Bloc countries.  A group
of French cavers was caught at the Czech border with cave locations
marked on an ordinary roadmap; they were arrested for spying and spent
6 weeks in jail before the French embassy rescued them.  An American
caver who visited Hungary saw a huge cave entrance with railroad
tracks going inside.  His Hungarian friends told him, "The Germans
used this cave to built rockets; we build tanks in there, but don't
tell anybody!"

Some of the caves used as fortifications on Japanese-held Pacific
islands of WW II are natural, others were dug.  I read an article in
the _NSS News_ about 15 years ago, by a caver who had toured Okinawa.
He said that the caves contain human bones and unexploded ammunition.

I have seen a picture of a Japanese "cave radio" which was captured on
Okinawa, where it had been used for communicating between caves and
tunnels and for directing artillery. It is a very-low-frequency
Morse-code transceiver-- the transmitter is a high-frequency buzzer, the
receiver uses a coherer detector.  The antenna was a very long wire
which may have extended outside the caves. It was probably well-suited
for its purpose, being able to penetrate the ground, and using a
frequency unlikely to be monitored or jammed by the enemy.

> ... The North Koreans must be the cave masters on the world.  They
> regularly dig huge tunnels under the DMZ. Some are big enough for a
> tank division to roll through.
>
>Chris Perleberg   cperlebe@encad.wichita.ncr.com

True!  Our side uses sophisticated (mostly secret) geophysical and
remote-sensing techniques to detect the tunnels.  I have heard that
space-based radar can see underground structures.

--

Frank Reid     NSS 9086F
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (10/11/89)

From: att!shuxd!merkel (Tom Merkel)
While on a visit to Egypt a few years back I was taken up
onto a ridge which ran out into the desert from Cairo.
I believe it is known as Mokhattam ( sp? ),  the road starts
near the quarry used to build the pyramids.

This area was being opened for commercial exploitation
after years of use as a military reservation.  There were
many caves,  side roads which disappeared from sight,  abandoned
emplacements,  and other signs of excavation and subterranean use.
I was told by my host,  a former officer,  that at one time this
ridge was used to store a large part of Egyptian ammo, fuel,
and vehicles underground and secure from air attack.  The area
had been off limits to civilians until after the peace with Israel,
at which time it was demilitarized.  I was told that at its
peak the complex extended for miles into the desert.  I saw an
area of a few miles length along the main road that had
obviously been used for military purposes.  Its probably
covered with condos and villas now.

-Tom

---
Tom Merkel 	att!shuxd!merkel 	(201)898-3547  	eschew obfuscation

jwm@stda.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (10/11/89)

From: jwm@stda.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt)
In article <9929@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
}
}
}From: cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg)
}
}In article <9867@cbnews.ATT.COM> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
}>
}>
}>     What about caves in other areas of military significance?  Germany?
}>Central America?  The USSR?  Etc.???  We've read about the Viet Cong's use of
}>caves in Vietnam, what other historical battles involved the use of caves?
}>
}Don't know about the Israeli caves, but the North Koreans must be the
}cave masters on the world.  They regularly dig huge tunnels under the DMZ.
}Some are big enough for a tank division to roll through.  Additionally
}(according to the book _Red Phoenix_ anyway), they have airports built in
}caves.

I was under the impression that Sweden had hollowed out a mountain, and
had facilities in in such that they could put most of their Navy
underground.

Cheyenne Mountain ain't no small potatoes, either!

--
"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain"
					- Pliny the Elder

illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) (10/12/89)

From: illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen)

In article <9929@cbnews.ATT.COM> cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg) writes:

>From: cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg)
>
>In article <9867@cbnews.ATT.COM> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>>

>>     What about caves in other areas of military significance?  Germany?
>>Central America?  The USSR?  Etc.???  We've read about the Viet Cong's use of
>>caves in Vietnam, what other historical battles involved the use of caves?

       While stationed in southern Italy I had the opportunity to visit
many caves used by the Germans and Italians. One that stands out is inside
Monte Vergine. The only flaw in this massive cave was its' west entrance. The
positioning of it on the face of the mountain left it an easy target for
allied planes.
       A trip through southern and central Italy would give you ample
opportunity to observe how the Germans withdrew through this country.
While German troops plodded along the coast the generals pretty much
bee-lined up through the middle of the country.