[sci.military] Learning in War

chenj@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (James Chen) (09/17/89)

From: chenj@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (James Chen)
	[Substantive answers only, please; lets keep the
	rampant speculation down to a dull roar.  Doctrine and
	learning seem safely part of Military Science.  --CDR]

A common feature of war is the need for a nation to relearn
the old lessons of previous wars or of the mistakes of
other nations.  For example, the US relearned the importance
of visual sighting in air-to-air combat.  That's why the smoky
engines of the F-4 Phantom had to be replaced with smoke-free
engines.  It was too easy for the enemy to see the incoming
planes.  That's why modern fighter have so much glass for
the pilot and electronics officier to see through.  Unfortunately,
it seems this lesson is about to be unlearned in the new steath
fighter with its resessed cockpit.  Now, I understand the importance
of moving the pilot back to reduce radar cross section.  And I'm
not really interested in arguing the merits or demerits of
steath.  That's not my point.  My question is:  Why do nations keep
forgetting past lessons?  Especially, since most of these lessons were
paid for in blood.  What compels people to formulate nice
sounding but totally useless theories that the next war just blows
away?

			-Jimmy Chen (chenj@cmcl2.nyu.edu)

gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) (09/19/89)

From: gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux)

Stealth aircraft (i.e. the F-117A, B-2, and forthcoming ATA) depend on
their "invisibility" and reduced electromagnetic signatures to accomplish
their mission. Reduced radar cross-section, IR emission, and active emissions
help to accomplish this, but, as with all design objectives, there's a trade-
off made between being "low-observable" and being (manuverable/fast/able to see
/pick your own.).

One good way to reduce radar cross-section (RCS) is to fair the cockpit inside
the fuselage. Unfortunately, this leads to reduced visibility and spotting
potential. For these aircraft, designed for specific, limited missions
(i.e. operating in places where it's critical to not be seen *at all*),
invisibility is the most important design factor. All other design decisions
were made with that in mind (thus the F-117A's slow speed and the B-2's
high cost.)

Note that even "stealth fighters" (i.e. the ATF, F-117A) depend on being
unseen to accomplish their mission. They are *not* air superiority fighters,
so they must depend on friendly air cover, low signature emissions, and
good weaponry to stay alive.

--
Paul E. Robichaux                  |"Collateral damage is the number of women
Georgia Institute of Technology    | and children you kill when attempting to do

cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (09/20/89)

From: cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward)
In article <27299@amdcad.AMD.COM> chenj@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (James Chen) writes:
>A common feature of war is the need for a nation to relearn
>the old lessons of previous wars or of the mistakes of
>other nations.

It has often been said that armies do not reform until after they've been
beaten.  This leads to a more interesting question: How can a military
establishment unlearn the lessons of past victories?

Technological change often renders the successful strategies and tactics of
the past inappropriate.  Examples are easy to find.  By the mid-nineteenth
century, weapons had advanced beyond the tactics of Napoleon, yet it took the
armies of the Confederacy and the Union several years to begin to change --
at a terrible cost in lives.  Even with the American Civil War and a Prussian
*defeat* in a battle of the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, the French Army of
1914 marched off with the mentality of 1814 and suffered accordingly.

The French experience of WWI was so horrible that they resolved to never let
it happen again.  As a result, they were much better prepared for a 1914 war
in 1939 when WW2 began.  Unfortunately for the French, they found themselves
ready to fight the wrong war.

What does this mean for the military establishments of today, not just for
the US and NATO, but also for the SU and the Warsaw Pact?  Are they ready for
the next war or the last?

--
ARPA: 	Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu>
PHONE:	(213)822-1511 ext. 111

cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (09/21/89)

From: cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward)

-

prahrens@pttesac.UUCP (Peter Ahrens) (09/22/89)

From: prahrens@pttesac.UUCP (Peter Ahrens)

In article <27375@amdcad.AMD.COM> cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) writes:

>It has often been said that armies do not reform until after they've been
>beaten.  This leads to a more interesting question: How can a military
>establishment unlearn the lessons of past victories?
>...[valid examples of the failure to adjust deleted]...
>What does this mean for the military establishments of today, not just for
>the US and NATO, but also for the SU and the Warsaw Pact?  Are they ready for
>the next war or the last?

If that war is between these two establishments, perhaps it would be both
next and last.

But it is clear (to me, at least) that the war each is preparing for,
against the other, is actually of very low probability.  Neither is
likely to be prepared for the war they will actually face.  The Soviets
currently appear to be facing something resembling civil war or uprising
(performance in Afghanistan or Georgia is not reassuring in this context).
The U.S. faces terrorist opponents, drug or jihad, who are not generally
impressed with conventional military power, particularly when it is
rendered impotent by domestic ethical, economic and political considerations.

An effective demonstration of a small, deadly rapid deployment force
against "narco-terrorists" would go a lot farther than the threat to
shoot down civilian aircraft.  (If you are really going to "make war"
on somebody.)

An interesting recent example is the case of the British in the Falklands,
who were about to sell to the Australians one of their two carriers (Hermes,
I think) based on an analysis of their support role in a European conflict
against the Soviets.  Turned out they needed it pretty badly a little bit
farther south.  Convincing demonstration of the utility of Carrier Battle
Groups?

A question for the learned: anyone willing to compare the exocet hit
on HMS Sheffield in the Falklands versus the hit on the USS Stark
in the Persian Gulf, with respect to the design of the vessels?

-Peter Ahrens

adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK (Adrian Hurt) (09/24/89)

From: Adrian Hurt <adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>

In article <27388@amdcad.AMD.COM> cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) writes:
>It has often been said that armies do not reform until after they've been
>beaten.  This leads to a more interesting question: How can a military
>establishment unlearn the lessons of past victories?

I don't know about "unlearn". As for learning the lessons of past actions,
the future aggressor has the advantage, in that he can see what happened
last time, and make up new attack theories to account for it. The defender
can only respond to a new type of attack after he's been attacked, and
probably beaten.

>The French experience of WWI was so horrible that they resolved to never let
>it happen again.  As a result, they were much better prepared for a 1914 war
>in 1939 when WW2 began.  Unfortunately for the French, they found themselves
>ready to fight the wrong war.

That's an example of what I mean. The Germans formulated a whole new theory
of war (blitzkrieg). The French (and everyone else, for that matter) couldn't
make up defence plans against blitzkrieg until someone had shown them what it
was. Actually, the French were quite well prepared for a 1918 war, in that
they had a lot of tanks (better than some of the German ones), and a lot of
aircraft (at least on a par with the German aircraft at the start of WW2).
What they didn't have was much idea of what Germany would do with its tanks
and aircraft.

A counter-example is the various wars between Israel and Arab states. Israel
had learnt one lesson from blitzkrieg - clobber the other guy's air force on
the ground, and you can walk (or fly) all over him. Which is why the Six Day
War only took six days. The Arabs learnt too, and next time they had lots of
SAM's waiting for the Israelis to try it again.

>What does this mean for the military establishments of today, not just for
>the US and NATO, but also for the SU and the Warsaw Pact?  Are they ready for
>the next war or the last?

There's a bit of a difference here, in that each side has its practise
exercises in which it can try out its latest ideas, and the other side watches
and can make up new ideas of its own.

 "Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

cdr@amdcad.amd.com (Carl Rigney) (09/24/89)

From: cdr@amdcad.amd.com (Carl Rigney)
Adrian Hurt <adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK> writes:
> That's an example of what I mean. The Germans formulated a whole new theory
> of war (blitzkrieg). The French (and everyone else, for that matter) couldn't
> make up defence plans against blitzkrieg until someone had shown them what it
> was.

Note that the German Blitzkrieg of the 40s was influenced strongly by
the writings in the 20s of B.H. Liddell-Hart, a British military
historian and theorist.  Liddell-Hart's ideas on armored warfare would
not have seemed novel to Philip of Macedon, Hannibal, or Belisarius.
But 50 years after his principles were applied with great success by
the Germans, many nations *still* don't get it.

The French failure in WW II was not because the Germans had something
totally new, but rather because the Germans had something the French
hadn't bothered to learn.  Defense plans against Blitzkrieg-style
attacks were available in the 20s; the French and British (mostly)
ignored them.

If the Captains in one war are the Generals of the next, perhaps its not
surprising that most armies are always one war behind the technology.

haynes@monet.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Haynes) (09/26/89)

From: haynes@monet.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Haynes)

There was an article in Signal magazine some years ago - the author suggested
the reason for the rapid success of Germany in tank warfare against France
was possible because every German tank had radio, whereas the French tank
forces relied on messengers on motorcycles.

djm@castle.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (09/26/89)

From: D Murphy <djm@castle.ed.ac.uk>

In article <27442@amdcad.AMD.COM> adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK (Adrian Hurt) writes:
>What they didn't have was much idea of what Germany would do with its tanks
>and aircraft.

Which was funny really, given that Guderian had published his book on the
use of armour in the mid 1920's. Apparently Patton read this (as well, of
course, as Rommel) and got the ideas for the tactics he used in North
Africa.

Murff....

jeffm%uokmax@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff Medcalf) (09/26/89)

From: Jeff Medcalf <mimsy!oddjob.uchicago.edu!uokmax!jeffm%uokmax@uunet.UU.NET>
>From: Adrian Hurt <adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
>> [The French defeat in WWII being caused by their preparation for a 1918 war.]
>That's an example of what I mean. The Germans formulated a whole new theory
>of war (blitzkrieg). The French (and everyone else, for that matter) couldn't
>make up defence plans against blitzkrieg until someone had shown them what it
>was.

Well, that is not really true.  For one thing, the theory of blitzkrieg is based
on the ideas of Colonel J F C Fuller and others.  Fuller's Plan 1919 was the
first hint of blitzkrieg's true development.  The French and British both chose
to ignore these ideas (Fuller and other British officers had developed the
theories quite well by 1925 or 1926).

The Germans, however, found willing converts in Guderian and his students
(including Rommel).  Hitler was an early proponent of blitzkrieg.  After seeing
a demonstration of tanks in 1934 (?), Hitler said something to the effect of
"I must have those."  He supported Guderian against the established General
Staff, first in the formation of a Panzerkorps, and later in the establishment
of the theory of rapid, combined arms warfare (which was called blitzkrieg).
Had the French been equally astute, they could have defended against the blitz
fairly well.

The French, however, had many problems:

1)  Tactics:  The French, who had more and better tanks than the Germans, put
	them in the field in penny packets, supporting the infantry.  The idea
	of deploying tanks in concentration was not taken up by them.

2)  Timidity:  The French launched an offensive against the Germans while the
	Germans were busy in Poland.  The offensive swept on against almost no
	opposition, advancing less than 10 (or was that 25) kilometers in over
	two weeks.

3)  Morale:  The French had no morale to speak of.

4)  Strategy:  The French ignored both blitzkrieg and the Benelux nations.  Had
	they deployed north of the Maginot Line, or redeployed after the initial
	German invasion of the Low Countries, the war would have been much
	different.

>A counter-example is the various wars between Israel and Arab states. Israel
>had learnt one lesson from blitzkrieg - clobber the other guy's air force on
>the ground, and you can walk (or fly) all over him. Which is why the Six Day
>War only took six days. The Arabs learnt too, and next time they had lots of
>SAM's waiting for the Israelis to try it again.

How is this a counter-example?  By your own previous words, the defender has to
be beaten to develop a counter-strategy.  The Arabs had been beaten, and then
had later developed a counter-strategy.

>There's a bit of a difference here, in that each side has its practise
>exercises in which it can try out its latest ideas, and the other side watches
>and can make up new ideas of its own.

All nations had practice exercises then, as well as now.  There is no difference
except in the amount of observability (due to sattellites and SR-71s).

> Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs

It is well to remember that wars often go to the side who innovates the most in
the inter-war period.  This is not always the attacker.  If the defender is, for
example, active in developing new methods of stopping his opponents' attacks,
and his opponent attacks in the same old way, the attacker will often lose.
This was true in the First World War.  The attacker (Germany) could not overcome
the new defense (machine guns).  Neither could the British and French.  When an
effective new offense WAS developed (tanks by the British), the battle that
followed (at Cambrai), went the way of the attacker for the first time (by the
way, I think that this was also the first major battle that used walking artil-
lery barrages instead of three days of preparatory shelling).

	[EVERYONE - Please don't use lines of ---'s in your signatures
	when mailing to sci.military - I have to strip them before
	building the digest.  --CDR]

--
jeffm@uokmax.UUCP   |  Arkansas state motto:  At Least We're Not Oklahoma.  |
Jeff Medcalf

military@cbnews.att.com (09/28/89)

From: military@cbnews.att.com
haynes@monet.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
>There was an article in Signal magazine some years ago - the author suggested
>the reason for the rapid success of Germany in tank warfare against France
>was possible because every German tank had radio, whereas the French tank
>forces relied on messengers on motorcycles.

True and false.  The Germans realized in the mid-30's that each tank must
have a radio.  Other nations, including Great Britain, came to similar
conclusions, and designed tanks accordingly.

Many nations, however, emphasized alternate means of communications.
Radios were relatively expensive then, and difficult to use; there was
concern about reliability, as well.  For out-of-combat communication,
dispatch riders were seen as acceptable; in combat, of course, they would
be useless, so several techniques were developed.

The earliest was the use of signal flags, in a sort of semaphore system.
Each commander carried a card explaining the meanings of various colors
and positions; for example, one set might mean "form column", another
"form line abreast", a third "halt", etc.  These, of course, required
the commander to expose himself to fire.

More novel techniques included attempts to train carrier pigeons to fly
from tank to tank; smoke bombs and flares; a flag mast not unlike those
on naval warships; and moveable metal arms.  (The pigeons, BTW, proved
a failure 8-)  All required line-of-sight communication with the commander
of the tank platoon.

Almost universally, the platoon command tank was radio-equipped.
Upon entry into the war, Germany, Britain, and the US had
all-radio-equipped tanks.  German tank radios, as well as those in the
US, were carried in the hull and operated by the co-driver/hull gunner.
Britain was adamant that the radio must be carried in the turret so
that the commander could operate it; hence, they required a re-design of
the US-built M3 Lee medium tank, with a larger turret bustle and
without the commander's cupola-mounted machinegun.  Field conversions of
the M3 Stuart light tank were also effected, leading to cramped turrets.

The French had the most difficult situation.  All their tanks were designed
with one-man turrets.  The commander was thus responsible for loading,
aiming, and firing the main gun, instructing his crew, and watching for
orders from his platoon leader.  If *he* was the platoon leader, he also
had to operate the radio.

--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--
Bill Thacker   Moderator, sci.military  military-request@att.att.com
(614) 860-5294      Send submissions to military@att.att.com

cew@venera.isi.edu (09/28/89)

From: cew@venera.isi.edu
In article <27443@amdcad.AMD.COM> you write:
>Note that the German Blitzkrieg of the 40s was influenced strongly by
>the writings in the 20s of B.H. Liddell-Hart, a British military
>historian and theorist.

There were several developers of blitzkrieg tactics.

In addition to those already mentioned, Charles De Gaulle comes to mind as I
recall memories of what I learned of these things back when I had more time
for them.  He was the proponent of these tactics within the French military.
(They ignored him.)

I also recall that blitzkrieg was a synthesis of two developments coming out
of WWI.  The British contribution, tanks, has already been mentioned.  The
other was a German change in infantry tactics.  Instead of days and days of
artillery followed by mass movement of troops, they used a short artillery
barrage followed by a rather quick advance of what they called "shock troops."
(From what I read, these tactics worked rather well and Germany would likely
have won the war if it were not for the arrival of large numbers of fresh
American troops to stiffen the line of the exhausted French and British.)
What became blitzkrieg was a combination of shock troops, armor and aircraft.

cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg) (09/28/89)

From: cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg)

In article <27493@amdcad.AMD.COM>
mimsy!oddjob.uchicago.edu!uokmax!jeffm%uokmax@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff Medcalf) writes:
>When an
>effective new offense WAS developed (tanks by the British), the battle that
>followed (at Cambrai), went the way of the attacker for the first time

I personally think Cambrai (and the battles in August 1918 leading to the
"Black Day of the German Army") were strategic defeats for the Allies.  They
learned the wrong lessons.  They won, and thought they were right.  They
should have been studying Caporetto, or the Kaiserschlachten in March 1918,
or even the German counterattack at Cambrai. In each case, the Germans
achieved breakthroughs without tanks.  They developed a "software" solution --
the Stosstruppen ("storm troopers").  The Allies won the war, and had "tanks
on the brain."  They couldn't see that tanks were not an end in themselves,
but only a means to an end, a tool to use with the proper tactics.

The losers payed more attention.  Perhaps that is typical.  And, for the
U.S., frightening.

Chris Perleberg
cperlebe@encad.wichita.ncr.com

adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK (Adrian Hurt) (10/03/89)

From: Adrian Hurt <amdcad!adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>

In article <27443@amdcad.AMD.COM> cdr@amdcad.amd.com (Carl Rigney) writes:

>Adrian Hurt <adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK> writes:
>> The French (and everyone else, for that matter) couldn't make up defence
>> plans against blitzkrieg until someone had shown them what it was.

>Note that the German Blitzkrieg of the 40s was influenced strongly by
>the writings in the 20s of B.H. Liddell-Hart, a British military
>historian and theorist.

Did Liddell-Hart mention anything about co-operation between air-force and
land force? I was under the impression that one of the key principles of
blitzkrieg was in getting, then using, air superiority; e.g. using Stukas as
airborne artillery. The Germans' first move was always to try to knock out
the enemy air force, preferably on the ground. They could then knock out
communications and transport, e.g. railways; attack vehicles on the move;
and attack cities; as well as use aircraft in direct battlefield support.
The Germans failed to wipe out the R.A.F. (only just, but they didn't know
that), therefore would not have had unchallenged air superiority over
Britain, therefore did not invade. (They weren't totally unchallenged over
France, either, but they did have things pretty much their own way.)

tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) (10/03/89)

From: tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown)
In article <27529@amdcad.AMD.COM>, cew@venera.isi.edu writes:

> other was a German change in infantry tactics.  Instead of days and days of
> artillery followed by mass movement of troops, they used a short artillery
> barrage followed by a rather quick advance of what they called "shock troops."
> (From what I read, these tactics worked rather well and Germany would likely
> have won the war if it were not for the arrival of large numbers of fresh
> American troops to stiffen the line of the exhausted French and British.)
> What became blitzkrieg was a combination of shock troops, armor and aircraft.

Doesn't the effectiveness of blitzkrieg depend on the superiority
of the attacking forces in quality/number - it works well enough
initially, but not against a hardened, well-equipped enemy (which
was lacking in Europe in 39/40).  By the time the US got round
to entering the war Europe was occupied, but hadn't the Germans
already started their decline by deciding to invade Russia?
Blitzkrieg didn't help them much there ...

And why wasn't the concept of blitzkrieg applied to aerial attacks on
England by the Germans - instead they lost the Battle of Britain
by overstretching vast unprotected bomber squadrons.  More speedy
raids on fighter airfields would have worked wonders, but Hitler
sent his bombers "over the top" to bomb London and they were cut
to shreds.  Surely little was learnt from WWI or blitzkrieg there?

Also, what lessons were learnt from the early war years when
the Americans were later being carved up in the Japanese island
conflicts, where it seemed that the battles more resembled the
bloodbath of WWI?

Tim.

hwt@watmath.waterloo.edu (Henry Troup) (10/03/89)

From: amdcad!bnr-fos!.uucp!hwt@watmath.waterloo.edu (Henry Troup)

In article <27442@amdcad.AMD.COM> adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK (Adrian Hurt) writes:

>That's an example of what I mean. The Germans formulated a whole new theory
>of war (blitzkrieg). The French (and everyone else, for that matter) couldn't
>make up defence plans against blitzkrieg until someone had shown them what it
>was.

Well, actually Basil Liddell-Hart invented blitzkrieg - or at least modern
mobile warfare.  Also, a careful observation of the Spanish Civil War would
have given a lot of information about WWII tactics - ahead of time.  But
no one did listen/see until their noses were rubbed in it.

So add me to the party that says armies don't learn until forced to it.  I
believe it was to do with the age of the generals, and the wars that they
fought in.

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not       | All that evil requires
hwt@bnr.ca (BITNET/NETNORTH)         | responsible for  | is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)               | my opinions      | nothing.

bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (thomas.w.basham) (10/03/89)

From: bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (thomas.w.basham)

>>There was an article in Signal magazine some years ago - the author suggested
>>the reason for the rapid success of Germany in tank warfare against France
>>was possible because every German tank had radio, whereas the French tank
>>forces relied on messengers on motorcycles.

>True and false...

>Many nations, however, emphasized alternate means of communications...

>The earliest was the use of signal flags, in a sort of semaphore system.
>Each commander carried a card explaining the meanings of various colors
>and positions; for example, one set might mean "form column", another
>"form line abreast", a third "halt", etc.  These, of course, required
>the commander to expose himself to fire.

There was an article about 2 to 3 months ago in Jane's Soviet
Intelligence Review about the use of signal flags withing the Soviet
Army.  It seems that they have quite an extensive flag communication
that isn't just limited to tanks.  If there's interest, I'll dig
out the article and summarize it.

Tom
--
Tom Basham      AT&T Bell Laboratories    (312) 979-6336
att!ihlpb!bash

beckerd@grover.cs.unc.edu (David Becker) (10/03/89)

From: beckerd@grover.cs.unc.edu (David Becker)
In article Chris Perleberg writes:
"
"The losers payed more attention.  Perhaps that is typical.  And, for the
"U.S., frightening.
"

The Axis countries are not a threat military-wise(maybe economically).
The Allies did learn from WWI not to leave a loser around.  Russia would be
as succeptable as America to not learning from WWII defeats.

Also, as another posting pointed out, the US military has learned from
Viet Nam how the lessons needed to prevent another such disaster.  The
American military remembers Viet Nam better than WWII I suspect.

David Becker  beckerd@cs.unc.edu

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/05/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <9864@cbnews.ATT.COM>, amdcad!bnr-fos!.uucp!hwt@watmath.waterloo.edu (Henry Troup) writes:

> From: amdcad!bnr-fos!.uucp!hwt@watmath.waterloo.edu (Henry Troup)
>
> In article <27442@amdcad.AMD.COM> adrian%cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK (Adrian Hurt) writes:
> >
> >That's an example of what I mean. The Germans formulated a whole new theory
> >of war (blitzkrieg). The French (and everyone else, for that matter) couldn't
> >make up defence plans against blitzkrieg until someone had shown them what it
> >was.
>
> Well, actually Basil Liddell-Hart invented blitzkrieg - or at least modern
> mobile warfare.  Also, a careful observation of the Spanish Civil War would
> have given a lot of information about WWII tactics - ahead of time.  But
> no one did listen/see until their noses were rubbed in it.

Some younger French officers read Liddle-Hart and others, were convinced, and
wrote on the subject themselves.  Charles de Gaulle was one of them.  They had
little or not influence on French war policy, unfortunately.

In the U.S., a fellow named Patton, among others, also was a strong proponent
of fast armored warfare.  He *did* get a chance to use his theories.

As for Germany, their main strength, applying Blitzkrieg, also hobbled them.
They treated offensive airpower during almost all the war simply as tactical
artillery.

------------
"...I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by
reorganizing: and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion
of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization."
	- Petronius Arbiter, 210 B.C.

zenon@chopin.llnl.gov (Maciej Zenon Pindera) (10/11/89)

From: zenon@chopin.llnl.gov (Maciej Zenon Pindera)

In article <9928@cbnews.ATT.COM> fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:

>As for Germany, their main strength, applying Blitzkrieg, also hobbled them.
>They treated offensive airpower during almost all the war simply as tactical
>artillery.

  The whole idea behind Blitzkrieg (a name, incidentally, coined by the
allies), precluded the development of big bombers.  From the economic
and political point of view, it was decided that Germany could not
support a protracted war. In a long war where the opposing country can
bring its whole economic resources to bear, a big four engined, long
range bomber would have been more suitable. And as it turned out, the
Germans did have an acute need for such a bomber, especially on the
eastern front. (in order to get at the Soviet installations in the
Urals, for example).
  For a short war however, a kind of war that Germany was preparing
for, a dive bomber was much more preferable since as you have pointed
out, it could be used as very accurate 'tactical artillery'.

maciej

[mod.note:  To throw in my 2 cents, I would posit another reason for
the limited nature of the Luftwaffe; interservice rivalry.  In Germany,
the Army was top dog; everybody who was anybody was associated with it.
Goering's close association with Hitler enabled to Luftwaffe to reach as
far as it did, but I wonder how much additional funding was cut by Army
machinations, in their desire to remain the premier arm of the state.  The
Navy, obviously, never received more than token interest compared to the
other branches.

And let's not forget, Germany did develop a few long-range bombers;
specifically, the He 177 "Greif" (Griffon) comes to mind.  But until
late in the war, these were hobbled with the requirement that they be
capable of dive-bombing, as well.  This smacks of similar compromises
in the US military which resulted from interservice rivalries; such as
the nuclear barges mentioned in another posting today.  - Bill ]

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>mod.note... The [WW2 German]
>Navy, obviously, never received more than token interest compared to the
>other branches.

While there is a certain element of truth in this, remember also that the
Navy was told to expect war no sooner than 1944.  Five more years of
peacetime preparation would have made quite a difference.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu