[sci.military] Coriolis Forces in the Falklands

anw@maths.nott.ac.uk (Dr A. N. Walker) (10/14/89)

From: anw@maths.nott.ac.uk (Dr A. N. Walker)
	When teaching our students about Coriolis forces, for many years
I've been using the following story:

	Early in WWI, we (the British) got rather knocked about by some
	German ships in the battle of Coronel.  We sent a couple of new
	battleships, and they met up with the Germans off the Falklands,
	and there was another battle, which we won.  However, the battle
	lasted longer than it should have, because naval guns are pointed
	off-target a little to allow for the Coriolis forces.  At extreme
	range, the correction was about 25 metres.  In the northern
	hemisphere, the force is to the right, so you aim off to the
	left.  In the southern hemisphere, the force is to the left,
	you aim to the right.  Unfortunately, being newly arrived, the
	British ships aimed off to the left, and were thus systematically
	aiming 50 metres away from the Germans.

[mod.note:  Battlecruisers, not battleships.  Invincible and Inflexible,
to be exact, the former later sunk at Jutland. - Bill ]

Now, all that I *know* about the battle of the Falklands is gleaned from
popular accounts, which are mainly concerned with the gallantry of the
British admirals, the apprehension of the German sailors when they neared
Stanley and observed our ships, and the like.  But the above story is too
circumstantial to be just urban legend.  My bluff has been called by a
colleague whose uncle served on the "Monmouth".  Can anyone confirm or
deny this story?  Or nominate a substitute battle to which it can be
transferred?  Or think where I might have got it from?

	On the topic of the Falklands, David Pugh asks, in
<10021@cbnews.ATT.COM>:

> [...] Would it be cost effective to
>build a nuclear sub with a reactor just powerful enough for a 5 knot cruise
>(plus enough stored energy to allow limited runs to 30+ knots)?

Scene:  10 Downing Street.

	"Prime Minister, the Argies have invaded the Falklands!"
	"Gracious!  We must send a task force.  How long will it take?"
	"Umm.  To assemble and prepare the ships, and convoy them down
		there, oh, just over a month."
	"We must send some submarines as well.  How long will they take?"
	"Umm.  A bit over two months, Prime Minister."
	"Forget it.  Where are the white flags?"

[PS, not intended for publication:  Thoroughly enjoying the 50-years-ago
articles.  Hope you can keep it up to the end.  I want to know what (else)
happened on my birthday!]

--
Andy Walker, Maths Dept., Nott'm Univ., UK.
anw@maths.nott.ac.uk