[sci.military] Hackworth

de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) (10/05/89)

From: moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan)

I have just finished reading Col. David Hackworth's new book "About Face",
and was wondering what others on the net thought about it.

I found the book interesting.  Hackworth seems to always be a maverick, never
conforming to the rules of the Army, but always getting the job done.
Particularly interesting is that not only does he criticize the Army for
its many faults, but offers, in the last chapter, some constructive changes.

The one I found interesting was his suggestion that West Point select part of
each class from deserving enlisted men.  Comments?

 -->        David Esan                rochester!moscom!de

baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) (10/07/89)

From:     "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
In article <9933@cbnews.ATT.COM> moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) writes:
>I have just finished reading Col. David Hackworth's new book "About Face",
>and was wondering what others on the net thought about it.
> [. . .]
>The one I found interesting was his suggestion that West Point select part of
>each class from deserving enlisted men.  Comments?

To get into a service academy, one must have a congressional appointment, or
one of several other specialized types of appointments (Presidential, Vice-
Presidential, etc.), all reserved for different categories of applicants.
The individual service secretaries have 170 appointments each reserved
exclusively for enlisted men--85 each from regular and reserve components.
(This is out of an ultimate accepted class size of around 1000.)

I haven't read Hackworth's book, but what is the nature of his suggestion?
Is he suggesting we increase this number?  That we make a greater effort
toward identifying and recruiting such enlisted men?  And why West Point
only (if he meant West Point only)?  What is his view of the role of West
Point in the overall officer procurement picture?

For my own part, I am a two-years'-worth prior enlisted navy electronics tech
who was recruited and accepted into Annapolis.  In five years of commissioned
service, I have seen little to bolster the idea that prior enlisted service
makes one a "better" officer.  It *helps*, mind you--if nothing else, it
gives one a greater degree of credibility with his "troops," at least
initially.  But individual variations among officers include some poor or
mediocre prior-enlisted officers, and a like number of outstanding non-prior
"12-week wonders" or ROTC grads.  What are Hackworth's (and the newsgroup's)
views on officer training in general, and a prior enlisted background in
particular?
--
>From the catapult of:               |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to
 __||____..}->     US Naval Academy |+| retract it, but also to deny under
 \      / baldwin@cad.usna.navy.mil |+| oath that I ever said it." --T. Lehrer

amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir) (10/11/89)

From: nsc!taux01.nsc.com!taux01.UUCP!amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir)

In article <9933@cbnews.ATT.COM> moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) writes:

>The one I found interesting was his suggestion that West Point select part of
>each class from deserving enlisted men.  Comments?

This must be a good suggestion, considering that in Israel that's the
way most of commissioned officers are selected.

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com or amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (10/13/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

In article <10008@cbnews.ATT.COM>, baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

>From:     "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
>In article <9933@cbnews.ATT.COM> moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) writes:

 1)  West Point (USMA).  Yes, enlisted men get a chance to be selected for
     USMA.  Once selected, they must attend the West Point Prepatory
     Academy, mostly to bring up any 'academic' deficiencies.  I understand
     the drop out rate among these personnel is quite high.  I've had
     a couple of prior-enlisted West Point graduates as my subordinate
     lieutenants - they are the ones that describe the wash out rate and
     how difficult it is.  Remember, West Point is still basically an
     academic college - with uniforms.  Cadets don't get too much of a taste
     for the 'real' army until after graduation.

 2)  On the other hand, prior enlisted - now in college in ROTC programs
     seem to be 'above average' in their programs and graduate very high -
     'a lot' becoming 'distinguished graduates' and receiving Regular Army
     Commissions after graduation.

 3)  I spent five years as an enlisted man before going to Infantry Officer's
     Candidate School (OCS).  I entered as a sergeant and graduated a
     second lieutenant.  Now, I'll give a biased opinion.  I believe an
     OCS graduate/prior enlisted second lieutenant is ready to command troops
     and perform his tasks 'better' than an ROTC or West Point graduate.
     But, as their rank increases and their experience increases - the
     differences fade quickly (senior captain - major).  But as far as
     second lieutenants go, none are more ready to command then OCS
     graduates.  (Infantry OCS class of '66)

     I've run into West Point Colonels who wouldn't make a good corporal.
     I've known OCS officers who were treated badly as enlisted and now
     want to 'get even'.  On the other hand I've served under and have
     commanded outstanding officers from OCS, ROTC, and West Point.  Once
     commisioned and on duty - its up to the 'professionalism' and integrity
     of the individual to become a good officer.

     One of the finest General Officers I ever served under was an infantry
     sergeant first class (SFC) in the Korean War and won a battlefield
     commission.

     'Course then again - there is always WPPA to contend with.
     (West Point Protective Association)  :-)

     major mike

baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) (10/16/89)

From:     "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
In article <10187@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
> 1)  West Point (USMA).  Yes, enlisted men get a chance to be selected for
>     USMA.  Once selected, they must attend the West Point Prepatory
>     Academy, mostly to bring up any 'academic' deficiencies.  I understand
>     the drop out rate among these personnel is quite high.  I've had
>     a couple of prior-enlisted West Point graduates as my subordinate
>     lieutenants - they are the ones that describe the wash out rate and
>     how difficult it is.  Remember, West Point is still basically an
>     academic college - with uniforms.  Cadets don't get too much of a taste
>     for the 'real' army until after graduation.

They *all* attend MAPS?  I attended NAPS myself, as do the majority of
prior-enlisteds who wind up here (USNA), but by no means do they *all* go
through prep school.

Also, I have heard that complaint about the relative isolation of USMA
cadets from the "real" army before.  I think I can fairly say that USNA does
not have that problem.

> 2)  On the other hand, prior enlisted - now in college in ROTC programs
>     seem to be 'above average' in their programs and graduate very high -
>     'a lot' becoming 'distinguished graduates' and receiving Regular Army
>     Commissions after graduation.

Yes, the same is true of NROTC.

> 3)  I spent five years as an enlisted man before going to Infantry Officer's
>     Candidate School (OCS).  I entered as a sergeant and graduated a
>     second lieutenant.  Now, I'll give a biased opinion.  I believe an
>     OCS graduate/prior enlisted second lieutenant is ready to command troops
>     and perform his tasks 'better' than an ROTC or West Point graduate.
>     But, as their rank increases and their experience increases - the
>     differences fade quickly (senior captain - major).  But as far as
>     second lieutenants go, none are more ready to command then OCS
>     graduates.  (Infantry OCS class of '66)

Do you include OCS non-prior enlisteds?  If so, that strikes me as very
strange.  USN OCS graduates may fairly be described as "clueless" for about
the first six months of service, or maybe a year.  Enough of this time is
usually taken up with fleet service schools and early fleet "under instruction
watches" that it doesn't matter much.  But these guys generally have a lot
of catching up to do.  Then again, the Army has always impressed me as being
a much more specialized service than the Navy (surprisingly enough).  Perhaps
this accounts for the lesser difference between commissioning sources.

I agree with everything else you said here.  In the Navy, I would say that
the differences are gone by the time a guy makes LT (roughly 4 years after
commissioning).  Earlier than your Army observations, but the same
principle applies.

Everything after this point, I agree with also.  So I left it out. :-)

>     'Course then again - there is always WPPA to contend with.
>     (West Point Protective Association)  :-)

I believe it.  USMA seems to me to have a stranglehold on senior Army jobs.
Much like the USNA had in the Navy until about 10-15 years ago.  These days,
it seems USNA grads are slightly *less* promotable than their counterparts
from other commissioning sources, once the year groups start making O-5 and
above.  (Probably not enough less to be statistically significant, but clearly
not *more* promotable.)