[sci.military] Radioactive stuff on a MiG

amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir) (10/13/89)

From: nsc!taux01.nsc.com!taux01.UUCP!amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir)

Last night there was an extensive coverage of the Syrian MiG23 that
landed here yesterday.  Among the inscriptions on it, I noticed
the three-winged icon of a radioactivity warning.  Does anybody know
what radioactive materials may be carried aboard a MiG23, and what
they are used for?

	Thanks,
--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com or amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/14/89)

From: gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
In article <10183@cbnews.ATT.COM> nsc!taux01.nsc.com!taux01.UUCP!amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir) writes:
>Last night there was an extensive coverage of the Syrian MiG23 that
>landed here yesterday.  Among the inscriptions on it, I noticed
>the three-winged icon of a radioactivity warning.  Does anybody know
>what radioactive materials may be carried aboard a MiG23, and what
>they are used for?

	Aha! The famed 'radioactivity' symbol misunderstanding :)
The symbol actually is defined (i'm assuming you mean the 'windmill'
symbol) as meaning _Radiation_ hazard, not radioactivity hazard...

	Radar produces enough microwave RF to be a radiation hazard.
As do some radio transmitters, etc.  The windmill you saw was probably
on a radar antenna (or radome covering it) or high-power radio antenna.

	Radioactives have the symbol because radio_active_ materials
produce radiation.

George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt. (my god, even on schedule!)
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: nsc!taux01.nsc.com!taux01.UUCP!amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir)
>... Among the inscriptions on it, I noticed
>the three-winged icon of a radioactivity warning.  Does anybody know
>what radioactive materials may be carried aboard a MiG23...

The trefoil symbol tends to get used for any radiation hazard, including
high-powered radars.  If you look at a head-on photo of an A-6 Intruder,
for example, you'll see a trefoil on its nose.  (At least, some of them
are/were marked this way.)  I doubt that there are any significant
radioactive materials aboard a MiG-23.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) (10/16/89)

From:     "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
In article <10183@cbnews.ATT.COM> Amos Shapir writes:
>Last night there was an extensive coverage of the Syrian MiG23 that
>landed here yesterday.  Among the inscriptions on it, I noticed
>the three-winged icon of a radioactivity warning.  Does anybody know
>what radioactive materials may be carried aboard a MiG23, and what
>they are used for?

U.S. (at least Navy) aircraft have this symbol also, fairly often.  Over
here, it means "watch out for intense electromagnetic radiation from
this aircraft (not necessarily just from the spot marked)."  The USSR has
been getting pretty good about marking its military aircraft with safety
symbols lately, and I presume this is a result of that policy.  Probably
means the same thing.
--
>From the catapult of:               |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to
 __||____..}->     US Naval Academy |+| retract it, but also to deny under
 \      / baldwin@cad.usna.navy.mil |+| oath that I ever said it." --T. Lehrer

mmm@apple.com (10/16/89)

From: portal!cup.portal.com!mmm@apple.com
The projectiles for the cannon might contain uranium (higher mass density
than lead).

baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) (10/18/89)

From: "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
In article <10272@cbnews.ATT.COM> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>If you look at a head-on photo of an A-6 Intruder,
>for example, you'll see a trefoil on its nose.  (At least, some of them
>are/were marked this way.)

The "Intruders" that you have seen marked this way are actually EA-6B
Prowlers.  That is why only "some" of the "Intruders" were marked that way.
The EA-6B of course, looks nearly identical to the A-6[x] from that angle.
I guess that's one reason they mark it that way.

I don't know whether an EA-6A Intruder has the trefoil or not.  I don't
think so.  That's getting a little obscure, though . . .

Interestingly enough, the two aircraft (Intruder/Prowler) have similar
radars in the nose.  They aren't identical, but there's nothing super-
powerful or mystic about the AN/APQ-129 in the EA-6B's nose.  The extra
"radiation" hazard, if any, is from the jamming pods that the Prowler
carries.  And this, of course, is no hazard at all on the ground (unless
the bird is facing into Hurricane Hugo to power its pods' turbines).
--

gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/20/89)

From: gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
:
[...]

 Those may well have been what he saw, but last time I looked everything with
 an A-6 airframe type (A-6E, not KA-6D, EA-6A,B) had trefoils on the radome.