[sci.military] ARMY UNIT DESIGNATIONS.......

mes@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Martin Swinney) (10/12/89)

From: mes@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Martin Swinney)

To the individual who stated in (article 1859) that Airborne unit's received

desg.of numbers at and above 500. Please explain the following errors.

	 A) 1st and 2nd of the 75th Ranger Battalion - Airborne (still active)

	 B) All WW2 Glider/Airborne Batt. 300 ser.

	 C) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, Batt. of the 325th (still active)

	 D) 1st, 5th, 7th, 12th, Group Special Forces (still active)

PLEASE DON'T TRY TO FIGURE OUT THE LOGIC USED IN THIS SYSTEM.......
some desk bound poge could see this and use a reorg. to kiss up to the
chain of command.

     remember   MILITARY / INTELEGENCE (sp) they don't fit together.

an old S.F.er just wanting to set the record straight....YOU DON'T GET THESE
							 FOR NOTHING........
							 II    II

dee@mitre.org (David E. Emery) (10/14/89)

From: dee@mitre.org (David E. Emery)
mes@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Martin Swinney) asks about Airborne
unit numbers.

You have to distinguish between Parachute Infantry Regiments and units
on jump status.  The former is a title, the latter is a mission.  The
original Parachute Infantry Units (originally battalions) started with
number 501 (Of Geronimo fame).  They run at least through 509.  The
325 infantry was not Parachute, but Glider Infantry.  Hell, the
original members of 325 weren't even on jump status (since they landed
in gliders, supposedly "safe".)

The Ranger Battalions are just that, Ranger Battalions.  During WWII
they were not part of 75th Infantry.  I'm not sure why the 75'th is
associated with the Rangers.

The same is true of Special Forces.

The odd-ball is 187 Infantry.  I think this unit was originally
straight-leg infantry and later converted to Airborne.  They kept
their designation.  The 50x units were 'new' units during WW II.  Note
that the 82 division was a leg division when WW II started, and was so
when Omar Bradley commanded it.

>     remember   MILITARY / INTELEGENCE (sp) they don't fit together.
But that doesn't say anything about Military Intelligence

Overall, the U.S. combat arms regimental system has received
considerable attention over the years.  There may not be a direct
reason for unit numbers, but there IS a reason.  Every unit has its
lineage and honors, usually posted in its headquarters, and there are
books that explain the origin of the unit.

>an old S.F.er just wanting to set the record straight....
Do you know the heritage of the Special Forces, related to the First
Special Service Force?  If not, someone missed something in your S.F.
training.

			dave emery
			CPT, FA, NHARNG
			(associated with 3-325 Inf (Abn) as a cadet,
			 FO for A/1-501 Inf (Air Assault) on active duty)

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (10/16/89)

From: howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz)

In article <10147@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mes@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Martin Swinney) writes:

> From: mes@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Martin Swinney)
> To the individual who stated in (article 1859) that Airborne unit's received
> desg.of numbers at and above 500. Please explain the following errors.

     Again, this was from memory.  Perhaps the 500 series is more
     specifically parachute infantry (as in the 82nd Airborne Div.,
     and the 101st when Airborne).  Yes, I do know about exceptions
     such as the 187th Regimental Combat Team (Airborne).

> 	 A) 1st and 2nd of the 75th Ranger Battalion - Airborne (still active)

      I won't try to figure out Ranger unit logic, since the original
      WWII Ranger bns were, as I remember, 1 through 6.

> 	 B) All WW2 Glider/Airborne Batt. 300 ser.

      This may be true for glider units, but, as far as I can remember,
      the parachute infantry regiments at Normandy, Arnhem, etc.,
      were 500 series.

> 	 C) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, Batt. of the 325th (still active)

      Haven't the slightest idea.

> 	 D) 1st, 5th, 7th, 12th, Group Special Forces (still active)

      I was discussing regiments, not non-regimental units.  SF
      historically traced its origin to the 1st Special Service
      Force, which, naturally, had a Ranger rather than a SF
      mission (as opposed to OSS Jedburghs).  Again by memory,
      the Army continued the history of the 1st SSF by activating
      the 7th SFG first, then the 77th.  The 1st SFG came later,
      but I can check this with Aaron Banks' book at home.
--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

bobtl%toolbox.wv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (10/18/89)

From: bobtl%toolbox.wv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Most often there is a historical reason for army unit designations.
It is not often obvious, or even rational, but there.

Someone stated earlier that reserve (USAR and ANG) formations typically
have larger numbers.  For example, I am a reservist with the 104th Division.
What happened to 102 and 103?  Why is the 101st an active formation?

My explanation is that in some pre-war or early war plans some staff officer
determined that we would need X infantry divisions, say 110.  Then each
division was listed, and plans made as to where it would mobilize, train,
how it would be used.  So plans were made to mobilize the 101st somewhere
in the east (Benning?  I don't know), the 104th in Oregon, 102 and 103
somewhere else.

But amazing fact, plans change.  We found we needed another airborne division,
101 happened to be chosen for some reason.  Maybe 102 and 103 could not be
mobilized because there was no room to train those formations.  The 104th
was mobilized because NO one wanted to be in Camp Adair, OR :-).
Plenty of room.

The 101st was a crack unit with plenty of unit pride.  We also needed
airborne formations after the war, so it was retained on active status.
The 104th was participated in several campaigns in Europe.  It did not
do brilliantly, but then again, it never had a general relieved, either.
The army did need a reserve formation in the Northwest, the 104th had some
ties to the area, so it was tagged for that.

Maybe the 102 or 103 were actually mobilized, but for some reason they
were not needed after the war.  Again, I don't know.  If anyone really wanted
to know, the answer probably lies in some musty old army archive.

Trivia question: Was there a division formation with a number larger
than 104?  Is there one now?

Someone asked if unit numbering schemes can cause confusion.
Absolutely.

When I was in Germany in the 70's I was assistant ops officer with 2d
Battalion, 75th Field Artillery.  At the same time there was (still is)
a Ranger unit, 2nd Battalion, 75th Infantry at Ft. Lewis WA.

Occassionally a message would be sent to us saying
"USS Charleston is ready to rendevous at Bremerton, WA
to conduct amphibious training operations."
(Please note that this is not a specific reference to any actual message,
just an example of messages that occassionally were received).

I always wondered what the rangers did with our messages
"300 rounds of 8" howitzer ammunition is pre-positioned
for your training exericse in Grafenwoehr"
that were mistakenly sent to them.  :-)

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (10/19/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

In article <10147@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mes@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Martin Swinney) writes:

> From: mes@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Martin Swinney)
>
> To the individual who stated in (article 1859) that Airborne unit's received
>
> desg.of numbers at and above 500. Please explain the following errors.
>
> 	 A) 1st and 2nd of the 75th Ranger Battalion - Airborne (still active)
>
> 	 B) All WW2 Glider/Airborne Batt. 300 ser.
>
> 	 C) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, Batt. of the 325th (still active)
>
> 	 D) 1st, 5th, 7th, 12th, Group Special Forces (still active)

   The official force structure of the Army requires that all batallion
   size units of the regimental system be equivilant to the basic branches
   of the army.  There is no Airborne branch, Ranger branch, nor Special
   Forces branch - as such.  They are basically Infantry Units manned by
   Infantrymen.   Their mission, structure and special purpose may be
   further delineated, for example:

           1st Battalion, 75th Infantry (Ranger)(Airborne).
           1st Battalion, 503d Infantry (Airborne)
           2nd Battalion, 33rd Infantry (Light)
           1st Battalion, 26th Infantry (Mechanized)

    All the personnel assigned to that unit are basically infantrymen, wear
    the crossed rifle insignia, and the light blue infantry colors.

    They may call themselves "75th Rangers", "503d Airborne", "26th Mech"
    and perhaps never admit they're "Infantry", but they are (and in the
    final analysis that's exactly what they are - they may arrive on the
    battlefield differently - but to 'close with and destroy the enemy'
    is to do so by FOOT.)

    So, the basic branches of the Army (Infantry, Armor, Artillery, Engineers,
    Aviation, Cavalry, Air Defense Artillery, Military Intelligence, etc etc,
    dictate the title of the units.  Armor officers are in Armor Battalions,
    not Tank Battalions.

    The rhyme and reason for current designations are historical and meant
    to keep faith with the traditions of each unit - the lineage and honors
    each unit has earned.

    I have lots of books, material, and research papers on the units, histories
    and the regimental system of the US Army and the British Army - I'd be
    glad to research any further information.  Or simply answer inqueries -

                    "Those are Regulars, by God!"
                               - MG Lambert, Commander of the British
                                             7th Infantry Regiment
                                             Battle of New Orleans, 1815

                    "Steady men, fire at my order."
                                - Commander of the US 4th Infantry Regiment
                                  Battle of New Orleans, 1815

                     1 Battalion, 4th Infantry now serving with
                     3rd Infantry Division (Mech), Germany

                     1 Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment (Mech)
                     now serving with the British Army on the
                     Rhine, Germany

   major mike

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (10/24/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

In article <10321@cbnews.ATT.COM>, bobtl%toolbox.wv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET writes:
> From: bobtl%toolbox.wv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET

> Why is the 101st an active formation?

  Probably because senior officers that served with the 101st want it to
  remain - and due to its 'illustrious' history - Bastogne.
  The 9th Infantry Division is on active duty today because when the Army
  was looking to (re)activate a division and station it at Fort Lewis (to
  replace the deactivated training center), General Westmoreland was
  Army Chief of Staff.  Westmoreland commanded an artillery unit during
  WWII in the 9th (Old Reliables).  Ergo, the 9th ID was activated.

> Trivia question: Was there a division formation with a number larger
> than 104?  Is there one now?

  Current Active Army Divisions:

    1st Infantry Division (Mech)         Ft Riley KS
    2nd Infantry Division (Light)        Korea
    3rd Infantry Division (Mech)         Germany
    4th Infantry Division (Mech)         Ft Carson CO
    5th Infantry Division (Mech)         Ft Polk LA
    6th Infantry Division (Light)        Alaska
    7th Infantry Division (Light)        Ft Ord CA
    8th Infantry Division (Mech)         Germany
    9th Infantry Division (Motorized)    Ft Lewis WA
   10th Mountain Division (Light)        Ft Drum NY
   24th Infantry Division (Mech)         Ft Stewart GA
   25th Infantry Division (Light)        Hawaii
   82nd Airborne Division                Ft Bragg NC
  101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)  Ft Campbell KY
    1st Cavalry  Division (Air Assault)  Ft Hood TX
    1st Armored  Division                Germany
    2nd Armored  Division                Ft Hood TX
    3rd Armored  Division                Germany

  Current Army National Guard Divisions:

   26th Infantry Division                Massachussets
   28th Infantry Division                Pennsylvania
   29th Infantry Division (Light)        Virginia
   35th Infantry Division (Mech)         Kansas
   38th Infantry Division                Indiana
   40th Infantry Division (Mech)         California
   42nd Infantry Division                New York
   47th Infantry Division                Minnesota
   49th Armored  Division                Texas
   50th Armored  Division                New Jersey

  Current Army Reserve Divisions:

   70th Training Division                Michigan
   76th Training Division                Connecticut
   78th Training Division                New Jersey
   80th Training Division                Virginia
   84th Training Division                Wisconsin
   85th Training Division                Illinois
   91st Training Division                California
   95th Training Division                Oklahoma
   98th Training Division                New York
  100th Training Division                Kentucky
  104th Training Division                Washington
  108th Training Division                North Carolina

  major mike