[sci.military] Sawback knives

mjt@mcnc.org (Michael Tighe) (10/20/89)

From: Michael Tighe <amdcad!mjt@mcnc.org>
>From: munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!bxr307@uunet.uu.net

>I was always taught that the sawback on a knife was not designed for
              ^^^^^^
taught or thought?

>cutting.  Rather it is designed for use in stabbing an opponent.  The
>Sawback is meant to ensure that air is let into a wound and that the wound
>is ragged enough to prevent "suction" from the difference in air pressure
>between the insides of a body and the outside which make it difficult to
>quickly withdraw the knife from a wound.

Sawback knives are not for fighting. If you stab someone with a sawback
knife, you will not be able to remove the knife without a great deal of
work, much like it is difficult to remove an arrow. Not being able to
remove the knife quickly poses a problem, since most reasons for using a
knife to kill someone are for quickness and quietness.  Rarely is it done
because it is the only weapon available.

This is why all fighting knives (that I know of) are double edged and do
not have a sawback. As far as I know, this design dates back to Col.
Fairbairn in WWII and his involvement with the British commandos.

Why a double edge? First, it allows for more cutting surface, which allows
for a larger margin of error when you try to stab someone.  This is
important because the quickest way to kill someone with a knife is not to
slash their throat (where you only use one cutting surface), but to stab
them and sever a specific artery (where you can use both cutting edges).
The double edge will sever the artery even if you do not hit it perfectly.
Another advantage is that a double edge allows the attacker to not have to
check which edge is up when you are about to use it.

What are sawback knives for? As far as I know, their origin is as a
"Survival Knife". They are somewhat useful for cutting brush and other
small objects that you might need to start a fire. Also, by using the
sawback for this purpose, you would not dull the blade, which may be needed
to cut other things more suited for it. Sawback knives also look neat in
Rambo movies. :-).

-------------
Michael Tighe
Internet: mjt@ncsc.org

dyson@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) (10/24/89)

From: dyson@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson)

In article <10414@cbnews.ATT.COM> amdcad!mjt@mcnc.org (Michael Tighe) writes:
>What are sawback knives for? As far as I know, their origin is as a
>"Survival Knife". They are somewhat useful for cutting brush and other
>small objects that you might need to start a fire. Also, by using the
>sawback for this purpose, you would not dull the blade, which may be needed
>to cut other things more suited for it. Sawback knives also look neat in
>Rambo movies. :-).

While in Air Force Flyers' Survival School (aka 'summer camp') my 'sawback'
knife did indeed cut many 'small objects,' up to and including a small tree!
(I needed it to stretch a shelter.)  The one I used (an Army-issue type, I
believe) had a rather thick saw with small, wide teeth, but it worked
quite well.  I've seen the flat-black ones with thin, long-toothed saws, and
they do look quite macho.  But I wonder how durable those long thin teeth are
compared to the more 'hacksaw-like' teeth on my old workhorse.

-Mark-

Michael_Edelman%Wayne-MTS@um.cc.umich.edu (10/24/89)

From: Michael_Edelman%Wayne-MTS@um.cc.umich.edu
According to an article in SOF a few years back, the origin of the sawback
knife goes back to around WWI or before; it was intended as a tool for
cutting through barbed wire, or more specifically, the wooden stakes that
supported and anchored barbed wire.

As to the advisability of such a tool, SOF also published a letter from a
British Marine (or perhaps SAS man) who had bought a Jimmy Lisle "Rambo
Special", or whatever he calls them. This commando had stabbed an Argentine
opponant and couldn't pull the knife out. To complicate matters he had a
thong tying the knife to his wrists. As a result the British soldier was
severely wounded while unable to fight.
           --mike edelman

gabriele@hub.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele ) (10/24/89)

From: gabriele@hub.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele )

As a recreational scuba diver, I know of one purpose for a sawback on
a knife; it cuts rope much more easily, without having the blade bind
in the fibers.  This is why most diving knives come equipped with sawbacks;
it's lots easier to hack through a wet rope in a hurry.

gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten) (10/24/89)

From: gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten)

There has been some metion of blood grooves on knives
recnetly and a question if it was necessary.  There is
definately a need for this type of device.  It gives less area
for the skin to grab as you extract the knife.  You can stab
pumpkin this Halloween and try to pull it strait out.  If the
knife has a long flat blade, it will probably be difficult to
do.  Remember that any time spent trying to extract a weapon
in Hand to Hand combat is dangerous and will probably force
abandoning the weapon.  Given that knives are usually the last
resort, that is not good.

Greg Hooten
GAHOOTEN@ames.arc.nasa.gov