[sci.military] M-16 reliability

gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) (10/13/89)

From: gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux)

In article <10145@cbnews.ATT.COM> Henry Spencer writes:

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
  <James Chen's comments deleted>
>This depends on who you talk to.  M-16 reliability has gone from superb
>(original Stoner AR-15) to dreadful (US Army "improves" design to produce
>original M-16) to barely passable (later variants).  I haven't heard a
>recent report on the M-1.  Do remember that the Army has a large vested
>interest in portraying its decisions as correct and its weapons as great.
>It's not uncommon for off-the-record interviews with actual users to tell
>a very different story than that found in the official press releases.

While Henry's comment about vested interests is surely true, I must make a
comment about the M16. I have been a Marine armorer for three years (albeit for a reserve unit; normal caveats apply). During that time, we have *never* had a
mechanical failure due to manufacturing or design defects. The M16A2 has proven to be a very accurate, fairly easy to maintain service rifle. I would be
interested in hearing your reasons for slamming it.

This, of course, is the A2. The A1 was a problem child; I've never used the
Stoner AR, so I can't comment. (just don't get me started on the Beretta 92F!)

-Paul Robichaux
 CPL      USMCR
--
Paul E. Robichaux                  |"Collateral damage is the number of women
Georgia Institute of Technology    | and children you kill when attempting to do

cmr@cvedc.Prime.Com (Chesley Reyburn) (10/16/89)

From: cmr@cvedc.Prime.Com (Chesley Reyburn)
In article <10181@cbnews.ATT.COM> gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) writes:
>... (just don't get me started on the Beretta 92F!)

Please do comment. I am curious about this weapon's abilities,
reliability, etc. Is it a piece of junk? Is it able to leap
tall buildings at a single bound?

cmr

Chesley Reyburn                 ...tektronix!ogccse!cvedc!cmr
ECAE Software, Prime Computer, Inc.   ...sun!cvbnet!cvedc!cmr
14952 NW Greenbrier Parkway              ...sequent!cvedc!cmr
Beaverton, OR 97006-5733                  Phone  503/645-2410

nobody%tekgvs.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (-Unprivileged user) (10/16/89)

From: -Unprivileged user <nobody%tekgvs.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

From: daveme@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Dave Mead)

> mechanical failure due to manufacturing or design defects. The M16A2 has proven to be a very accurate, fairly easy to maintain service rifle. I would be

What do you consider accurate? Most of the older 55gr. FMJ stuff was limited
by the bullet itself. How do the new heavy slugs/fast twist barrels do?

> interested in hearing your reasons for slamming it.
>
> This, of course, is the A2. The A1 was a problem child; I've never used the
> Stoner AR, so I can't comment. (just don't get me started on the Beretta 92F!)

Please tell me the problems with the 92f. Are you referring to slide failures
in five over-pressured samples after thousands of rounds, or something else?
My overall impression is that these are one of the best 9mms around. Fill in
the details!

					Dave Mead
					Tek Labs

gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/18/89)

From: gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
In article <10259@cbnews.ATT.COM> cmr@cvedc.Prime.Com (Chesley Reyburn) writes:
>In article <10181@cbnews.ATT.COM> gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) writes:
>>... (just don't get me started on the Beretta 92F!)
>
>Please do comment. I am curious about this weapon's abilities,
>reliability, etc. Is it a piece of junk? Is it able to leap
>tall buildings at a single bound?

	It works fine.  There have been 5 (five) structure failures
out of ~150 thousand guns, all of which have been traced to the US
Army's use of REAL HOT 9mm ammo, which is way outside the commercial
specifications.  There is a structural redesign in the works to change
failure modes to noninjuring ones.

	Common army tactic, btw: if the ammo breaks the gun, redesign
the gun :)

[mod.note:  To which I'm sure many readers will respond, "wouldn't
	it have been better to design a gun to handle the specified
	ammo ?"   Seems to me that there must be a NATO standard for
	9mm, that being, supposedly, why we dropped the .45.  Does
	the US use a more powerful load ?  - Bill ]

George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt. (my god, even on schedule!)
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu

gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/20/89)

From: gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

>[mod.note:  To which I'm sure many readers will respond, "wouldn't
>	it have been better to design a gun to handle the specified
>	ammo ?"   Seems to me that there must be a NATO standard for
>	9mm, that being, supposedly, why we dropped the .45.  Does
>	the US use a more powerful load ?  - Bill ]

There is a NATO standard for cartridge size, not laoding.  They
figured it wouldn't be a problem with breaking commercial standards
for loading...

I have no comment on the sensibility of decisions like this.

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (10/20/89)

From: leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger)
In article <10308@cbnews.ATT.COM> gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
:
:
:From: gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
:	It works fine.  There have been 5 (five) structure failures
:out of ~150 thousand guns, all of which have been traced to the US
:Army's use of REAL HOT 9mm ammo, which is way outside the commercial
:specifications.  There is a structural redesign in the works to change
:failure modes to noninjuring ones.
:[mod.note:  To which I'm sure many readers will respond, "wouldn't
:	it have been better to design a gun to handle the specified
:	ammo ?"   Seems to me that there must be a NATO standard for
:	9mm, that being, supposedly, why we dropped the .45.  Does
:	the US use a more powerful load ?  - Bill ]

There are two kinds of 9MM ammo in the NATO inventory, regular 9mm,
and 9mm designed for carbines and SMG's, especially the open bolt
variety that like a hotter load to fire reliabily.  This ammo has a
black tip on the bullet.  If you get any black tip ammo, DO NOT fire
it in a pistol.  Some pistols will handle it and some won't.

Lee

"I'm the NRA"

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin 1759

wang%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Albert Sze-Wei Wang) (10/25/89)

From: wang%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Albert Sze-Wei Wang)
In article <10181@cbnews.ATT.COM> gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) writes:
>From: gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux)
>In article <10145@cbnews.ATT.COM> Henry Spencer writes:
>>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>  <James Chen's comments deleted>

>>This depends on who you talk to.  M-16 reliability has gone from superb
>>(original Stoner AR-15) to dreadful (US Army "improves" design to produce
>>original M-16) to barely passable (later variants).  I haven't heard a
	[M-1 stuff deleted]

>While Henry's comment about vested interests is surely true, I must make a
>comment about the M16. I have been a Marine armorer for three years (albeit for a reserve unit; normal caveats apply). During that time, we have *never* had a
>mechanical failure due to manufacturing or design defects. The M16A2 has proven to be a very accurate, fairly easy to maintain service rifle. I would be
>interested in hearing your reasons for slamming it.

>This, of course, is the A2. The A1 was a problem child; I've never used the
>Stoner AR, so I can't comment. (just don't get me started on the Beretta 92F!)

>-Paul Robichaux

The M-16 is a good rifle.  Now, that is.  But back in its development stages
it was a nightmare.

The flaw with the M-16 was in the development area.  The company that was
responsible for its developmemt was given stats, either by the military or
by the corporate heads to build a rifle with a set group of stats, length,
muzzle length, etc. everything.  The engineers on the project told their
supervisors that it couldn't be built to perform the way they wanted given
the deisgn constraints imposed on them.  The supervisors told them (these
are supervisors who have no engineering background or firearms design
backgrounds) that they don't know what they're talking about and told the
engineers to build it.  The engineers warned their supervisors that the
gun won't work, and that the design needed to be changed to make it
perform as it should.  The supervisors ignored this and other warnings and
mass-produced the M-16 and had them shipped to our troops in Vietnam.
As expected, the M-16 failed.  It was said that the M-16 killed more American
men in Vietnam than the VietCong did.  Some of the weapons exploded, most of
them jammed.  Many times, one shot was fired and then the weapon jammed.
This essentially meant that the VietCong with Muzzle-loading rifles could
shoot at our guys, but we couldn't shoot back.  Gradually, as the war
progressed, the gun was redesigned and redesigned until the current form
it takes today.  The M-16 today bears little resemblance to the one first
developed and used early on in the Vietnam War: The one we have now works,
the one developed then didn't.  The problem with the M-16 early version was
never ammunition.  It was design.

This information was obtained from (I think) American Heritage Magazine.
If any wants, I could go back and dig up the issue number and date of
publication.

Hope this helped.

Albert

[mod.note:  The M-16 debate is almost a matter of religion, it seems,
much like the 9mm-vs-.45 debate.  Henceforth, I would suggest that
further submissions on the development and history of the M-16 are not
likely to be accepted unless they include references;  there's simply
too much hearsay out there.  (no reflection upon this article, of
course !)  - Bill ]

The Daimyo                 | Hashagu koiwa  ike no koi
wang@volcano.berkeley.edu  | Frolic love is like a carp in a pond
      Eve Tokimatsuri:  Never forget love.  Like a dream,
                              Please tell me the secret.