[sci.military] Particle Beam Gun

10e@hpcvia.hp.com (Steven_Tenney) (10/12/89)

From: 10e@hpcvia.hp.com (Steven_Tenney)

A few months ago I read a short blurb on the feasability of using
particle-beam technology as a form of future fire power.  A particle
beam gun would shoot proton energy pellets.  Has anyone heard of this
possibility?

Thanks ahead of time for any available info.

Steve Tenney

brown@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Kyle Brown) (10/13/89)

From: brown@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Kyle Brown)

In article <10149@cbnews.ATT.COM>, 10e@hpcvia.hp.com (Steven_Tenney) writes:

> From: 10e@hpcvia.hp.com (Steven_Tenney)
>
> A few months ago I read a short blurb on the feasability of using
> particle-beam technology as a form of future fire power.  A particle
> beam gun would shoot proton energy pellets.  Has anyone heard of this
> possibility?
>
> Steve Tenney

There are some *major* problems with using particle beams as weapons.
Not the least of which is that the power required to make a particle beam
do anything interesting (say cut through armor more than paper thin) is
in the megawatt range.  Also, Proton beams are the only candidates for such
weapons, and these are *not* easy to generate or play with (any plasma
physicists out there want to elaborate?)

This topic will have to stay in rec.arts.sf-lovers for a couple o' decades

"Earth: Mostly Harmless." -- The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brown@ncratl.atlanta.ncr.com

budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (10/14/89)

From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
There are occasional references to particle beam weapons in open
literature.  Naval Institute Proceedings has notes on the subject
occasionally.  It's obvious that we're not hearing the whole
story.

A couple issues ago, there were some notes about the next generation
of Navy ships and there is an interesting wrinkle in the logic.
Most of the verbiage referred to the process of defining the problem.
The disconnect is that one <solution> has crept in -- electric main
propulsion.  But the benefits apparently make it an attractive enough
concept to build around:
  - electric power, particularly in an era where high temp superconductors
appear to be becoming a practical technology, allows great flexibility
in machinery plant arrangements.  Wonderful news to naval engineers
who can benefit by having some of their design constraints go away.
And shaft alignments are real problems when they come as battle damage...
  - ability to diver this large bagful of kilowatts to an electrically
driven weapon for short periods of time.  Particle beam weapons,
lasers and related technologies will require large amounts of power
and the ability to dual-use what you've already put there as
propulsion power is a further economy.

Now, unless the Navy has some black program out there, this isn't
likely to happen for a few years.  The DDG-51 class of destroyer
is gas turbine propelled and has a weapons suite that looks fairly
familiar.  And lead ship is at the christening stage about now.
So it'll be a few years before the Navy gets to the next break
point in construction where something like this might be programmed
for production.

All from memory...
Rex Buddenberg

cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller) (10/14/89)

From: cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller)

On 12 Oct 89 03:19:03 GMT,
10e@hpcvia.hp.com (Steven_Tenney) said:

ST> A few months ago I read a short blurb on the feasability of using
ST> particle-beam technology as a form of future fire power.  A particle
ST> beam gun would shoot proton energy pellets.  Has anyone heard of this
ST> possibility?

	I've heard nothing on this; I'd like to know if you can provide a
short summary of the article (e-mail).

	The thing that bothers me about the feasibility of battlefield
man-killing lasers or particle beams is one of power consumption.  They
suck power like MAD.  The problem also is linked to the fact that a laser
or particle beam hooked up to an inferior power source is of ZERO
effectiveness rather than reduced effectiveness; read that as useless
without an ideal power source operating perfectly in the field (and
everything fails sooner or later, though usually sooner).

	I rather like the idea brought up by some military s-f writers:
rather than a laser or other beam weapons, what about a small pellet moving
at .7c or some such insane velocity.  They call this type of weapon a
'relativistic BB-gun.'

	Comments?

					Timothy J. Miller
					cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu

jwtlai@violet.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai) (10/14/89)

From: jwtlai@violet.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai)

In article <10184@cbnews.ATT.COM> brown@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Kyle Brown)
writes:
>There are some *major* problems with using particle beams as weapons.
>Not the least of which is that the power required to make a particle beam
>do anything interesting (say cut through armor more than paper thin) is
>in the megawatt range.  Also, Proton beams are the only candidates for such
>weapons, and these are *not* easy to generate or play with (any plasma
>physicists out there want to elaborate?)

With respect to SDI, the APS directed-energy weapons study considered only
neutral particle beams.  They mentioned that neutral-particle beams are
rapidly ionized once they enter the thin upper atmosphere at 100 km, and are
then rapidly deflected by the Earth's magnetic field.  For terrestrial use,
we can rule out neutral particle beams, since they won't be neutral for very
long at ground level.  They power requirements they considered of practical
use for killing missiles were between 100 MW and 1000 MW, depending on range
and retargeting rate.  Considering this, IMHO the problem of scaling down
and modifying such technology for use by, presumably, armored vehicles is
nontrivial (i.e. difficult).  I would expect the crew would have to be
shielded against the magnetic forces used to accelerate the ions.  I don't
know enough to estimate the range of a beam of positive ions in air.  How
much power does a tank engine produce?

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (10/16/89)

From: Dave Goldblatt <dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
In article <10184@cbnews.ATT.COM> brown@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Kyle Brown) writes:

>There are some *major* problems with using particle beams as weapons.
>Not the least of which is that the power required to make a particle beam
>do anything interesting (say cut through armor more than paper thin) is
>in the megawatt range.  Also, Proton beams are the only candidates for such
>weapons, and these are *not* easy to generate or play with (any plasma
>physicists out there want to elaborate?)

Well, when I was working on such an (unclassified) project a few years ago,
the idea was not necessarily to cut through missiles (for example), but
to destroy the electronics inside by exposure to the particle radiation.
This would not require anywhere near as much power as actually slicing
up the target would.  I understand that this is currently a feasible
SDI project now.

>This topic will have to stay in rec.arts.sf-lovers for a couple o' decades

Well, at least a few more years. :-)

>"Earth: Mostly Harmless." -- The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
>brown@ncratl.atlanta.ncr.com

-dg-

(Save the F-14D Super Tomcat!)

--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet          uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave

djm@castle.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (10/16/89)

From: D Murphy <djm@castle.ed.ac.uk>

In article <10233@cbnews.ATT.COM> cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller) writes:

>From: cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller)
>

>On 12 Oct 89 03:19:03 GMT,
>10e@hpcvia.hp.com (Steven_Tenney) said:
>
>ST> A few months ago I read a short blurb on the feasability of using
>ST> particle-beam technology as a form of future fire power.  A particle
>ST> beam gun would shoot proton energy pellets.  Has anyone heard of this
>ST> possibility?

I really seriously doubt this. Not only do you have the problem of (see
below) energy supplies, you're also trying to shoot a very small, highly
charged particle through lots of big, neutral particles. No way - consider
that beta-emissions are completely stopped by a few feet of air, even the
very high energy ones. Protons wouldn't get very far.

>	The thing that bothers me about the feasibility of battlefield
>man-killing lasers or particle beams is one of power consumption.  They
>suck power like MAD.  The problem also is linked to the fact that a laser
>or particle beam hooked up to an inferior power source is of ZERO
>effectiveness rather than reduced effectiveness; read that as useless
>without an ideal power source operating perfectly in the field (and
>everything fails sooner or later, though usually sooner).

Not only this, but even in vacuum there are feasability problems. On an
article (a while ago, so I forget where) it was pointed out that charged-
particle beam weapons were rejected for SDI because of the targetting
difficulties associated with interference of the earth's magnetic field
on the particles (you know how an electric motor works ?). Funny - IMHO
that'd be obvious.

>	I rather like the idea brought up by some military s-f writers:
>rather than a laser or other beam weapons, what about a small pellet moving
>at .7c or some such insane velocity.  They call this type of weapon a
>'relativistic BB-gun.'
>
>	Comments?

No chance - not in atmosphere. Maybe the Pentagon are wanting to go
huntin' and shootin' bug eyed monsters now that the SU are supposed to be
nice guys, but again there is the problem of firing in air. The pellet would
have to be really small to be launched at such a speed from a weapon
of usable size. Trouble is, air resistance goes up with velocity, so the
more energy you put into the projectile, the less efficient it gets.

>					Timothy J. Miller
>					cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu

IMHO, about the only offensive use of lasers (by offensive I mean not
used for target designation and homing) is in blinding the opposition's
optical targetting systems - anything from laser homing missiles to eyes.
I saw an article (I think in the London Financial Times, or maybe the
Economist) about just such a device being developed by the SU. Is this true ?

Murff...

gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/18/89)

From: gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
In article <10232@cbnews.ATT.COM> budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) writes:
>A couple issues ago, there were some notes about the next generation
>of Navy ships and there is an interesting wrinkle in the logic.
>Most of the verbiage referred to the process of defining the problem.
>The disconnect is that one <solution> has crept in -- electric main
>propulsion.

>Now, unless the Navy has some black program out there, this isn't
>likely to happen for a few years.  The DDG-51 class of destroyer
>is gas turbine propelled and has a weapons suite that looks fairly
>familiar.  And lead ship is at the christening stage about now.
>So it'll be a few years before the Navy gets to the next break
>point in construction where something like this might be programmed
>for production.

This is true.  The navy has had the ability to use electric-coupled
powerplants (and has had some) for years.  They do have problems, but
acceptable ones, and there has been quite a bit of thought on the idea
of using this setup for standby power for directed energy weapons.

Perhaps the mid-class Arleigh Burke update?

George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt. (my god, even on schedule!)
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu

tony@nexus.yorku.ca (Tony Wallis) (10/18/89)

From: tony@nexus.yorku.ca (Tony Wallis)

cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller) :
| I rather like the idea brought up by some military s-f writers:  rather
| than a laser or other beam weapons, what about a small pellet moving at
| .7c or some such insane velocity.  They call this type of weapon a
| 'relativistic BB-gun.'
|  Comments?                                       -  Timothy J. Miller

Not in the atmosphere.  The pellet would be vaporized by Mach-1000000
heating before it reached the target. (Or the muzzle of the gun !)

MLFISHER@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (10/18/89)

From: MLFISHER@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu

:>	I rather like the idea brought up by some military s-f writers:
:>rather than a laser or other beam weapons, what about a small pellet moving
:>at .7c or some such insane velocity.  They call this type of weapon a
:>'relativistic BB-gun.'
:>
: No chance - not in atmosphere. Maybe the Pentagon are wanting to go
: huntin' and shootin' bug eyed monsters now that the SU are supposed to be
: nice guys, but again there is the problem of firing in air. The pellet would
: have to be really small to be launched at such a speed from a weapon
: of usable size. Trouble is, air resistance goes up with velocity, so the
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually the viscous force (e.g. air resistance on a projectile) is
proportional to the velocity squared.  Even more of a problem.

slouie@uts.amdahl.com (Shelley Louie) (10/20/89)

From: slouie@uts.amdahl.com (Shelley Louie)

Even before the problems of development of particle beam weapons and/or
kinetic motion weapons (ie. Gauss guns), there is the problem of its
impracticalities in terms of being a line-of-sight weapon.  The Navy's
empathsis on missles would still exist even if a cheap energy weapon
were developed today.  I would contend however that such a weapon would
be ideal for use in an anti-air capacity if it were able to fire fast
enough. The ability to rapidly fire a accurate series of small shots
over a line-of sight difference would make a fantastic middle-range
point defense and play havoc in an anti-aircraft situation.

As for orbiting sattilites to be used as ultra-high level bombers,
the needed mass and accuracy would make such a weapon impractical
except vs a clustered target such as a town.  Smaller individual targets
would be next to impossible to hit on a steady basis.  Too many variables
to contend with.

-shelley

tcmaint%tekigm2.men.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Thomas A. Dowe) (10/24/89)

From: "Thomas A. Dowe" <tcmaint%tekigm2.men.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

In article <10412@cbnews.ATT.COM> slouie@uts.amdahl.com (Shelley Louie) writes:

>Even before the problems of development of particle beam weapons and/or
>kinetic motion weapons (ie. Gauss guns), there is the problem of its
>impracticalities in terms of being a line-of-sight weapon.

In defense, laser weapons could be extremely effective in certain config-
urations.  Mechanically manipulated, they could saturate the defensive
front with millions of strikes per minute; blinding temporarily, if not
permanently, attacking troops.  Night vision devices could be rendered
ineffective and laser sighting confused.

Tad
tomd@pulsar.telcom.tek.com

willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) (10/26/89)

From: willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner)

>> : of usable size. Trouble is, air resistance goes up with velocity, so the

> Actually the viscous force (e.g. air resistance on a projectile) is
> proportional to the velocity squared.  Even more of a problem.

Drag forces are confusing, and neither statement is entirely right.

The drag force depends on two dimensionless numbers, the Reynolds
number and the Mach number.  The latter is fairly familiar and is just
the ratio of object speed to sound speed.  The former may be
unfamiliar: it is essentially the ratio of "impact drag" to "viscous
drag."  In practical weapons and most vehicles, the Reynolds number is
large and viscous drag can be neglected.  Exceptions include water
vehicles at slow speeds and conditions within the boundary layer, where
the Reynolds number is small and viscous drag dominates.  (Another
example is microscopic organisms, where the Reynolds number is very
tiny indeed!)

At _low Mach numbers_: Viscous drag increases linearly with speed.
Impact drag increases as the square of speed.  As noted, impact drag is
generally the only drag component that matters.

High Mach numbers - applicable to the original suggestion of extreme
velocity projectiles - are more complicated, and I don't know of simple
formulas.  I _think_ the speed dependence may even differ for objects of
different shapes, but I'm surely no expert on this subject.
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                 Internet: willner@cfa.harvard.edu