[sci.military] Sawbacks on knives

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (10/03/89)

From: Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
This is a very late response; I just finished reading thru the last 30 or so
Digest issues of sci.military and noted this subject mentioned a while back.
For those who are interested in this, there is a magazine still currently
on the newsstands that has an article on the subject of sawbacks on knives
and the effectiveness of various styles. That is the Fall 1989 issue of
"Fighting Knives" magazine. This publication is an outgrowth of the
magazine "SWAT"; these were just sold by their original publisher in Arizona
to another firm based in California. [It's rather ironic for weapons-
oriented magazines to be moving *into* California these days! I would have
expected all such firms to be moving *out* of that state...]

(If you cannot find this on the newsstands in your area, it is Vol 1 #3
and costs $3.95 cover price. A 4-issue subscription is $9.95 from
Fighting Knives, PO Box 16598, North Hollywood, CA  91615.)

Anyway, this issue has an article beginning on page 232 on the "Modern
Survival Knife" which includes a series of tests of different knives'
sawback teeth on various materials, including plexiglas from a helicopter,
sheetmetal claimed to be equivalent to helicopter and military aircraft
skin, and wood. There have been other knife publications that tested
sawteeth in the past, but those articles are probably impossible to find
via any regular reference channels, since just about no libraries stock
this sort of publication, and they aren't listed in any of the standard
indexes. So check out this current article if you care about this.

As someone who acumulates knives to a ridiculous degree, I can state
that the vast majority of sawtooth-backs are totally worthless,
especially those on lower-cost imported hollow-handle knives that have
been so prevalent since the "Rambo" movies made them popular. They are
for show and not for any real use. (But there's nothing wrong with buying
such toys just because they look neat! :-) You just have to remember
they are image and not substance.)

The relatively small and unimpressive teeth on knives like the USAF
survival model and the Randall Model 18 Pilot's Knife (the latter being
the first widely-known modern hollow-handle model) were designed to cut
through sheetmetal for aircraft-evacuation or rescue use; those teeth
are just about useless on wood. Some modern survival knives have much
better wood-cutting teeth, and it is much more likely that wood will be
the material somebody will need to cut with them. None of them are as
good as cutting wood as a real saw, which has outspread teeth which cut a
kerf wider than the tool -- teeth on knives don't do this, so the blade binds
in the cut as it gets to any depth. Usually it is better to just chop with
the blade part of the knife to cut down a sapling for a tent pole or the like.

Actually, the saw blade on the military-model "Swiss Army" knife -- the
model really issued to the Swiss and sold as the "Trooper" [and the equivalent
one issued to the German army] -- has been widely praised as being the best
wood saw built into any knife. The teeth on that folding blade are still not
set to protrude outward, but the blade is thin enough and there are a double
row of alternating teeth that cut on the pull stroke so the net effect is
functional. Of course, the length is short enough that it won't be used for
large timber; it works fine on the size of branch it can handle.

Regards, Will Martin

bxr307@uunet.uu.net (10/14/89)

From: munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!bxr307@uunet.uu.net
I was always taught that the sawback on a knife was not designed for cutting.
Rather it is designed for use in stabbing an opponent.  The Sawback is meant to
ensure that air is let into a wound and that the wound is ragged enough to
prevent "suction" from the difference in air pressure between the insides of a
body and the outside which make it difficult to quickly withdraw the knife
from a wound.

Many early twentieth century bayonets had this feature and the bayonet was the
 first to introduce the "blood groove" (the small deep grooves that run parallel
to the blade along the length of the knife) which was designed (and actually
 worked bettter than the sawback in preventing suction).  To try and use a
"sawback" on a knife to cut wood or even metal is ridiculous.  I know of no
 large military knife that actually has had the sawback sharpened in the same
 way that a real saw is.  Thats why they won't be very successful in cutting
 things like wood or metal!  While the saw blade on the Swiss Army knife is so
small that its utility is questionable.

I hope thats of interest to my fellow readers of sci.military.

dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (10/16/89)

From: Doug Krause <dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu>

In article <10227@cbnews.ATT.COM> munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!bxr307@uunet.uu.net writes:
#I was always taught that the sawback on a knife was not designed for cutting.
#Rather it is designed for use in stabbing an opponent.  The Sawback is meant to
#ensure that air is let into a wound and that the wound is ragged enough to
#prevent "suction" from the difference in air pressure between the insides of a
#body and the outside which make it difficult to quickly withdraw the knife
#from a wound.

Would the air pressure difference on something as thin as a knife really
affect "performance" that much?

Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.
University of California, Irvine   Internet: dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa

mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) (10/30/89)

From: mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger)

In article <10268@cbnews.ATT.COM> dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:

>From: Doug Krause <dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu>
>
>In article <10227@cbnews.ATT.COM> munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!bxr307@uunet.uu.net writes:
>#I was always taught that the sawback on a knife was not designed for cutting.
Wrong
>#Rather it is designed for use in stabbing an opponent. The Sawback is meant to
>#ensure that air is let into a wound and that the wound is ragged enough to
>#prevent "suction" from the difference in air pressure between the insides of a
>#body and the outside which make it difficult to quickly withdraw the knife
>#from a wound.
Although it is possible that this could be a use for the sawback on knives it
is NOT the intended use.  A typical "survival" or "combat" type knife with
a sawback area of 3-5 inches can go through a 2x4 in approximately 30 seconds
when being used by an experienced person.

The usual design of this sawback (as is on the issue M-9 bayonette) is extremelyrugged and is not prone to dulling while still being able to rip it's way
through a variety of materials.

>Would the air pressure difference on something as thin as a knife really
>affect "performance" that much?

What you want to make a wound from a knife truly effective is what's known as
a "blood groove".  The blood grove is simply a "ditch" in the knife that
causes there to be an opening along the blade to allow the flow of blood from
the body even if the blade remains in the wound and would otherwise stop it
up.

You will find this groove on the top half of the flat of the blad of most
hunting knives, you will also find it down the center of some double edged
combat and boot knives.

Paul Deisinger

--
My other .sig is a porche.  Boongawa.