[sci.military] GAU-8 questions.

amoss%BATATA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) (10/27/89)

From: Amos Shapira <amoss%BATATA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

  There were a number of references to the GAU-8 cannon in the conference.
All of these mention the weight and the speed of the round, its penetrative
abilities and its construction. NOt one message mentioned a report I read
(can't remember where... some Bill Gunston booklet) that the standard GAU-8
burst is only 30-50 rounds. The recoil of the gun makes longer bursts
inaccurate, as it swings the plane out of alignment. Despite this, the kill
probability is very high. Since DU rounds are porphyric, a hit on a tank will
probably do horrendous damage.

  Can anyone substantiate this report?

    Marc A. Volovic, Sgt (res.)       amoss@batata.huji.ac.il

The opinions contained herein are mine. The data contained herein is either
public knowledge or hearsay. Nothing I say is condoned by anyone. It is not
my fault. I wasn't here.

JDO103@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Someone) (10/28/89)

From: Someone <JDO103@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>

In article <10676@cbnews.ATT.COM>, amoss%BATATA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos
Shapira) says:

>From: Amos Shapira <amoss%BATATA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
>  There were a number of references to the GAU-8 cannon in the conference.
>All of these mention the weight and the speed of the round, its penetrative
>abilities and its construction. NOt one message mentioned a report I read
>(can't remember where... some Bill Gunston booklet) that the standard GAU-8
>burst is only 30-50 rounds. The recoil of the gun makes longer bursts
>inaccurate, as it swings the plane out of alignment. Despite this, the kill
>probability is very high. Since DU rounds are porphyric, a hit on a tank will
>probably do horrendous damage.

   I just was wondering how said long bursts can swing the plane out of
 alignment, when the barrell that fires is in the centerline???

Dave

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Amos Shapira <amoss%BATATA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>burst is only 30-50 rounds. The recoil of the gun makes longer bursts
>inaccurate, as it swings the plane out of alignment...
>  Can anyone substantiate this report?

It sounds implausible to me.  The A-10's nosegear is off-center, precisely
so that the gun can be located exactly on the centerline.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia) (10/31/89)

From: nuchat!steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia)

In article <10704@cbnews.ATT.COM> JDO103@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Someone) writes:
>   I just was wondering how said long bursts can swing the plane out of
> alignment, when the barrell that fires is in the centerline???

Two mechanisms come to mind:

	1) Depending on the stores (fuel, ammo, missles) loaded
	   the geometric centerline may not go through the center of mass.

	2) The thrust from firing the gun slows the plane, resulting in
	   a change of attitude (or altitude, take your pick)..
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 270249  Houston, Texas  77277

cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg) (10/31/89)

From: cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg)

In article <10704@cbnews.ATT.COM> JDO103@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Someone) writes:

>>From: Amos Shapira <amoss%BATATA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>>
>>The recoil of the gun makes longer bursts
>>inaccurate, as it swings the plane out of alignment.
>>
>   I just was wondering how said long bursts can swing the plane out of
> alignment, when the barrell that fires is in the centerline???
>
>Dave

Now, the way I heard it (also from some Gunston book, I think) was that
firing too long could a) stall the aircraft because of the recoil; and/or
b) flame-out the engines from the gases from the shells.

Chris Perleberg
cperlebe@encad.wichita.ncr.com

frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk (Frank Dunn) (11/01/89)

From: Frank Dunn <frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk>
During flight testing the A-10 did have problems with bore sighting when
the gun was fired. If you look head on to an A-10 the gun in fact is not
100% in line, its off a degree or so - the figure of 6 pops into mind.
The recoil slows the 'plane down and also tends to slew the barrel and thus
the 'plane. The burst limitation sounds correct.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not