[sci.military] Aircraft which can hold more than a crew of 2 ...

RUDNEI%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@UICVM.uic.edu (R. D. da Cunha) (10/27/89)

From: "R. D. da Cunha" <RUDNEI%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@UICVM.uic.edu>
  Stephen D. Grant asked for some military aircraft wich have a crew with more
than two people:

  I remember of some military aircraft which have a crew with more than two
people. Here is my list:

  Grumman EA-6B Prowler (with a crew of 4)
  British Victor (with a crew of 4)
  British Swordfish of WWII vintage, which sometimes had a crew of 3
  British Vickers Valiant (with a crew of 5)
  British Vulcan (with a crew of 3)
  B-58 Hustler (with a crew of 4)

Maybe some of the data is not correct, I got it from my memory, without
checking any references.

  I will post to the list some information about the first AMX delivered to
the Brazilian Air Force, the planned deployments and all the facts about it,
as soon as I receive some documents.

  Yours sincerely,

  Rudnei Dias da Cunha, B.Sc.

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (10/28/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>
"R. D. da Cunha" <RUDNEI%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@UICVM.uic.edu> writes:

>  Stephen D. Grant asked for some military aircraft wich have a crew with more
>than two people:

>  I remember of some military aircraft which have a crew with more than two
>people. Here is my list:

>  Grumman EA-6B Prowler (with a crew of 4)
>  British Victor (with a crew of 4)
>  British Swordfish of WWII vintage, which sometimes had a crew of 3
>  British Vickers Valiant (with a crew of 5)
>  British Vulcan (with a crew of 3)
>  B-58 Hustler (with a crew of 4)

Lockheed S-3A - crew of 4 (pilot and co-pilot plus 2 systems types)
         S-3B - crew of 4 (pilot plus 3 systems types)
         P-3  - at least 4
         C-5  - at least 4

Boeing B-52   - crew of 4
       KC-135 - crew of 4
       E-3    - crew of many

Douglas KC-10 - crew of 4

Rockwell B-1  - crew of 4

All the SAR helicopters have at least 4 crew members

I think we're thinking too much about fighters.  Most aircraft have
crews of about four, only fighters have only one or two.  In
particular, cargo aircraft have two cockpit crew and at least one
loadmaster.  Tankers have two cockpit crew and at least one boom
operator (USAF version!)  Anti-submarine and AWACS types have large
crews to run the systems.

--
Mary Shafer   shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (10/31/89)

From: leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger)
In article <10705@cbnews.ATT.COM> shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) writes:
:
:
:From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>
:"R. D. da Cunha" <RUDNEI%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@UICVM.uic.edu> writes:
:
:>  Stephen D. Grant asked for some military aircraft wich have a crew with more
:>than two people:
:
:>  I remember of some military aircraft which have a crew with more than two
:>people. Here is my list:
:
>  B-58 Hustler (with a crew of 4) wrong- crew of 2
:
:Boeing B-52   - crew of 4 wrong-crew of
6-pilot,copilot,nav,radar-nav(bomb), electronic warfare officer,
gunner.
:                    Of course I don't speak for NASA

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (11/01/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>
Lee Mellinger (leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV) writes:

>In article <10705@cbnews.ATT.COM> shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) writes:

>>Boeing B-52>- crew of 4

>wrong-crew of 6-pilot,copilot,nav,radar-nav(bomb), electronic warfare officer,
>gunner.

Ours only holds four (only has four ejection seats) but it's a B-52B and
is seriously modified, to boot.

The B-52G/H flown by the Air Force does indeed have a crew of six (and
presumably ejection seats for all, but I didn't check this), just as
Lee says.