[sci.military] Battle of Britain

willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) (11/01/89)

From: willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner)

> From: miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout)
[Regarding British strategy and whether Germany could actually have
invaded.  Remember that an invasion seriously worried the British public
and even the highest levels of the American government, which favored
the British though the U.S. was still technically neutral.]

> At this time, the Royal Navy had a gigantic number of ships.  They can
> send enough ships into the Channel to do the job, regardless of
> Luftwaffe-caused losses.  The issue here is the survival of the UK, and
> Churchill would have been more than willing to sacrifice the Royal Navy
> to save England.

Churchill summarized this strategy as "Drown most of them [German
troops] on the way over, and knock the survivors on the head as they
crawl ashore."  He, at least, seems to have been genuinely unworried by
the possibility of invasion (as opposed to merely acting unworried to
keep morale high).

The only thing that I can see that could have defeated Britain - not
just prevented their taking offensive action - would have been an
effective blockade.  Indeed, that was at least a part of the German
naval strategy.  Adm. Doenitz (commander of U-boats at the time)
advocated a "tonnage war," in which he calculated that sinking 750,000
gross registered tons per month of shipping capacity would effectively
isolate Britain.  (I believe, but have not gone back to verify, that
this figure was for after the U.S. entered the war.)

In fact, in not a single month of the war was Doenitz' goal attained,
although German estimates of Allied losses were often much higher.
Further, the strategy itself was flawed, because it did not distinguish
between full ships going east and empties going west, for example.
(And there were other flaws.)  Finally, the 750,000 tons per month rate
was probably too low, because the U.S. probably could have produced
ships even faster than that.

Nevertheless, I suspect that a properly executed blockade strategy could
eventually have forced a British surrender.  Germany would probably
have had to refrain from attacking the Soviet Union in order to have
sufficient resources to devote to the struggle, and the strategy would
have taken years rather than showing quick results.  Fortunately, we'll
never know for sure whether this kind of strategy would have worked, but
I would welcome further discussion of the subject.  The same strategic
questions seem to apply to U.S. participation in any future European war.

[Sources: official U.S. and British naval histories, Doenitz' and
Churchill's memoirs; all read several years ago, so memory errors are
entirely possible.]
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                 Internet: willner@cfa.harvard.edu

[mod.note:  I find this topic as fascinating as anyone, I'm sure... but
I'm afraid I'm going to have to curtail it.  The volume of history postings
is becoming, to my mind, too large, especially given that there's a good
deal of more appropriate (i.e., technical) volume in the newsgroup at the
moment.  My policy has been to allow historical postings in moderation,
volume permitting.  Perhaps we can find another home for these discussions
(including, BTW, the 50 Years Ago series). Suggestions, anyone ?  - Bill ]