[sci.military] Soviet Aircraft names/Kremlin class CVN

cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg) (10/28/89)

From: cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg)

Both of these questions have probably been asked before, but I don't
recall seeing any followups, so here goes.

OK, the US has the F-16 Falcon, the F-15 Eagle, the A-10 Warthog, er,
Thunderbolt II.  The Soviets have the Fishbed, Flogger, and so on.
But these are NATO code names.  Does the MiG-21 Fishbed have a Russian
name?  What do Soviet pilots call their Su-25 Frogfoots?  Anybody
know?

What ever happened to the Soviet CVN Kremlin?  The last I read
(somewhere or other), it was supposed to enter sea trials in '87 or
'88.  Has that in fact happened?  Is it still building?  Are the
Soviets flying anything off of it?  If so, what?

And aren't they going to have a problem with Carrier landings in the
beginning, having no "tradition" or experience to fall back on?  The
U.S., French, and British have been operating fixed-wing aircraft on
carriers for years (although the British gave it up).  How hard will
it be for the Soviets to develope the knack of carrier operations?

Chris Perleberg
cperlebe@encad.wichita.ncr.com

mjt@mcnc.org (Michael Tighe) (11/04/89)

From: Michael Tighe <mjt@mcnc.org>

From: cperlebe@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Chris Perleberg)

> OK, the US has the F-16 Falcon, the F-15 Eagle, the A-10 Warthog, er,
> Thunderbolt II.  The Soviets have the Fishbed, Flogger, and so on. But
> these are NATO code names.  Does the MiG-21 Fishbed have a Russian
> name?  What do Soviet pilots call their Su-25 Frogfoots?  Anybody
> know?

There was a time when they referred to their planes as products, and gave
them a number. For example, the MiG-25 was/is known officially as Product
84 (Viktor Belenko, "Mig Pilot"). In the age of Glasnost I am not sure if
they still use this scheme though.

This is not uncommon, since we referred to the first U-2 as Article
341.

Michael Tighe
Internet: mjt@ncsc.org