[sci.military] Computer enhancements of warfare

wayne@cs.odu.edu (C Wayne Huling) (11/04/89)

From: wayne@cs.odu.edu (C Wayne Huling)

   I must write a term paper dealing with computers in society, so I thought
about the military aspect of computers.  Can anyone suggest any books articles
etc. dealing with weapon systems, weapon design and functions where computers
have furthered the field?

		Wayne

PS. Thanks alot!

JON@GAFFER.RAD.WASHINGTON.EDU (Jon Jacky) (11/07/89)

From:    JON @ GAFFER.RAD.WASHINGTON.EDU (Jon Jacky)
> In Article 2806 of sci.military,  C. Wayne Huling (wayne@cs.odu.edu) asks,
> Can anyone suggest any books articles etc. dealing with weapon systems,
> weapon design and functions where computers have furthered the field?

The most comprehensive review currently available is:

'Computers In Battle' edited by David Bellin and Gary Chapman.
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1987, $14.95.
xiv + 362 pages, including Bibliography, Resources, Index.
ISBN 0-15-121232-5

This book describes present and planned applications of computers in weapons
systems.  It stresses critiques of planned weapons systems which the authors
find dangerous or poorly-concieved. Many readers of sci.military might find it
excessively political and philososphical; it does not give in-depth technical
descriptions of existing weapons systems.  However, it does describe many in
broad outline and that may actually be an advantage for Mr. Huling's needs.

Althought the book is quite partisan, it is extremely thoroughly researched and
does contain references to very technical articles, as well as partisan
writings expressing other opinions.  The bibliography is the best and most
comprehensive available on the subject; for example, Alan Borning's chapter on
computers in nuclear weapons systems contains over 140 references that Alan and
his colleagues assembled over about five years of work.

Disclaimer: I wrote one of the chapters (which, of course, is meticulously
researched and beautifully written :-) )

- Jon Jacky, University of Washington, jon@gaffer.rad.washington.edu

-----------------------------------

Computers In Battle: Table of Contents

Computers in Battle:  A Human Overview
   Severo Ornstein

A History of Computers and Weapons Systems
   Paul N. Edwards

The New Generation of High-Technology Weapons
   Gary Chapman

Computer System Reliability and Nuclear War
   Alan Borning

Computer and the Strategic Defense Initiative
   Eric Roberts and Steve Berlin

The Strategic Computing Program
   Jonathan Jacky

Computers in Weapons:  The Limits of Confidence
   David Lorge Parnas

Artificial Intelligence as Military Technology
   Tom Athanasiou

High Technology and the Emerging Dual Economy
   Lenny Siegel and John Markoff

The Role of Military Funding in Academic Computer Science
   Clark Thomborson

Computers and War:  Philosophical Reflections on Ends and Means
   John Ladd